• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fake Rules

I believe you are incorrect.
Depends on the language...
136 S.Ct 1969 said:
When a statute distinguishes between "may" and "shall," it is generally clear that "shall" imposes a mandatory duty.
The PDGA rule book is inconsistent with the language and uses "shall" where "may" can also be applied.

The PDGA rule book is inconsistent with the language and uses "shall" where "may" can also be applied.

My post was related to our legal system. The PDGA is free to act foolishly when it wants.

No. In the rules, "shall" is always imperative. Any other interpretation is wrong.

Worst one I ever heard of was the claim that a disc, having been thrown OB, must be taken out of play and not used the rest of the tournament.

Worst one I ever heard of was the claim that a disc, having been thrown OB, must be taken out of play and not used the rest of the tournament.

I've heard that one a few times. Even heard it taken a step farther and say that you're not allowed to even carry it in the bag and you have to leave it where it lies.

I've heard that one a few times. Even heard it taken a step farther and say that you're not allowed to even carry it in the bag and you have to leave it where it lies.

What??? Like, just leave it on the ground OB and get it after the round? I can't even...

What??? Like, just leave it on the ground OB and get it after the round? I can't even...

Sort of pretending all OB is a lake, I guess. Maybe it's supposed to make the OB seem more Natural?

On courses with OB where you lose your disc, it would probably be a more consistent penalty throughout the round if you lost the use of that disc the rest of your round every time you went OB whether water or not. others in your group would hold on to your "discs-temporarily-out-of-use".

In some cases, it's necessitated by course and/or tournament rules.

I played a tourney at Cabin Creek several years ago where that was a rule on one specific OB, because the OB was someone else's property. TD had made an agreement with the other property owner that one person would retrieve all the discs thrown OB just once after each round, so that people weren't constantly walking into their yard... which is completely understandable.

But that's a property ownership issue, rather than a PDGA rule.

Covered in Competition Manual 3.3 B. because trespassing is a "violation of Federal, State or Local laws or ordinances, park regulation or disc golf course rule."

So, it's a PDGA rule for that situation.

See also:

USDGC Hole 2 - discs landing beyond OB fence on right side of fairway may not be retrieved

USDGC Hole 6 and 7 - discs landing in OB [federally protected] wetlands may not be retrieved (not even after the round)

USDGC Hole 8, 9, 15 - discs landing in baseball stadium may not be retrieved

If your tee shot doesn't make it past the short tee, then you have to play the rest of the hole with your weenie out.

NOBODY wins with that rule.

That is totally a real rule...

...in ball golf

...but only if its a casual round;)

That's the way I play every hole.

No better way to gauge the wind.

two questions/problems -- first, that could never work in mixed doubles. I've seen several times when the lady didn't make it past the short tee, plus, there's lots of guys the ladies wouldn't want to see with your junk hanging out.

second, ...well, ... forget it.

Last edited:
two questions/problems -- first, that could never work in mixed doubles. I've seen several times when the lady didn't make it past the short tee, plus, there's lots of guys the ladies wouldn't want to see with your junk hanging out.

Please don't actively try to grow the sport while following this rule.

Golf has women's tees, hence the idea of proving you are a man.

Disc golf doesn't have women's tees - just different tees for different skill levels. The rule makes no sense at all for us.

Sorry I didn't respond right away. Yup, leave it on the ground and get it after the round. Their way of thinking was anything ob becomes lost and lost discs were illegal to carry in the bag, so if you carried it with you anywhere, even to your car on the next hole by the parking lot it was a penalty. I think they said 2 strokes per hole. I laughed and put it back in my bag.

805.02E Warnings and penalty throws given to a player for rules infractions shall be noted on the scorecard.

It does say "shall" not "must".

My question isn't so much about the semantics of "shall" vs. "must" as much as it's about whether or not going OB constitutes a "rules infraction". I'm by no means a disc golf rules expert, but I wouldn't think of going OB as an infraction, per se. This sounds to me like it'd be more geared toward TDs being able to see from looking at the cards if certain players have issues following the rules.

My question isn't so much about the semantics of "shall" vs. "must" as much as it's about whether or not going OB constitutes a "rules infraction". I'm by no means a disc golf rules expert, but I wouldn't think of going OB as an infraction, per se. This sounds to me like it'd be more geared toward TDs being able to see from looking at the cards if certain players have issues following the rules.

My understanding is that anything that results in a warning or penalty(s) being assessed should be considered an infraction and be noted in some way on the scorecard. That's for the benefit of both the TD and the players as a record of what happened should a discrepancy be brought up later in the round or after the round.

Worst fake rule was a PDGA tournament the Quad K in 2007 that tried to get the rule so OOP made discs were not allowed, they were just trying to keep the g9i from being used as they had a questionable use in tournaments I had one though nobody noticed as I never really used it much, a player then his son on the same card as my dad did call my dad for using his Ching Juju putter Supreame Gummy Champion like plastic as it was OOP but not declared illegal by the PDGA, so it was still on the list of disc approved. My dad switched to his Pro Rhyno for the last hole or two. Then contested it with the Official and pointed it out to the guy who then gave the other guy whatever the violation ruling was for that, I think 2 strokes added to his score.

Another dubous use of the PDGA rules was in 2008 at the Clash at The Corn Palace a Tournament director basically making a course and tournament set up that year for the tournament he thought he was going to win as a pro so he could stay with Innova whop at the time all Innova cared about was your raking in tournaments. Well a guy Kyle Pinkman now with Latitude 64 or something he as an unsponsored player in 2008 won the thing with the tournament with the Tournament Director getting second, this kept him on the team till the end of 2008 when he was being let go from the team. look up on PDGA. com the 2008 Clash at The Corn Palace tournament and one of the Tournament directors played and got second in Open men.