• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fast-Filling Events

I've avoided feeding this questionable account until now. Do yourself a favor and read any of the dozens of threads about the issues TDs have faced running tourneys. See some of the issues they've had to face when being forced to make a call where the decision they make is going to change somebody's spot in the tourney. See how some of these TDs have been in the sport for 20, 30, 40 years, and they're still having to deal with new issues, new rules, or new interpretations of rules. And you think you're just going to have it all figured out within a couple months?

I'm going to work closely with TD's in my area to learn from them.

We will also reach to Certified Officials in the area of the events and seek their assistance - either Volunteer -or- Paid.

Thanks for your input.

I'm going to work closely with TD's in my area to learn from them.

We will also reach to Certified Officials in the area of the events and seek their assistance - either Volunteer -or- Paid.

Thanks for your input.

Did you organize the Fyre Festival by chance? Your (lack of concrete) planning seems familiar.

What do you mean you 'jumped into this sport'?? On another thread you started about rain/snow you claim you don't even play.

Hi John - nice to meet you.

I don't play as of now. Bad back and rotator cuff just won't let me throw. I even tried left handed, but even then couldn't get any torque in my torso.

So - I'm going to run some Tournaments.

Did you organize the Fyre Festival by chance? Your (lack of concrete) planning seems familiar.

I mentioned from the get go that nothing is set in stone yet.

However - per my last post on the other thread, I believe we have developed a fun, exciting and rewarding Tournament Series for the Amateur Player.

We will have all the t's crossed and I's dotted before we begin marketing and registration.

I mentioned from the get go that nothing is set in stone yet.

However - per my last post on the other thread, I believe we have developed a fun, exciting and rewarding Tournament Series for the Amateur Player.

We will have all the t's crossed and I's dotted before we begin marketing and registration.

Fun for who? An outsider with no knowledge of the sport is going to come in and modify it? How about learning the game first then maybe then you can voice your thoughts on ways to improve aspects of it. You're trying to reinvent the wheel without even knowing what a wheel does or what it looks like?

You don't think the events disc golfers have been flocking to, filling, and filling in minutes, are "fun, exciting, and rewarding"?

Erratum: In my OP, I said the Earlewood Classic filled to 100 in 2:47. It was actually 2:12. If you took 2:47 to register, you'd be about #30 on the waitlist.

Fun for who? An outsider with no knowledge of the sport is going to come in and modify it?

With the exception of the fine folks within this forum - 100% of the Players, TDs and Vendors that I've spoken with, one local TD just 30 minutes ago - love the idea and are excited to have something out of the box coming to the area.

I have learned a lot in the past 4 days about the Sport.

How about learning the game first then maybe then you can voice your thoughts on ways to improve aspects of it.

I love voicing my thoughts, and no offense, I don't require your permission to do so.

You're trying to reinvent the wheel without even knowing what a wheel does or what it looks like?

Just trying to create a cool, exciting and rewarding Tournament Series in the cool, exciting and fun world of Disc Golf.

My wheel may or may not "roll" - just depends on if the Players, Sponsors and Fans buy in to the concept by opening their wallets.

Disruptive ideas / products tend to sell well. We'll have to just wait and see.

You don't think the events disc golfers have been flocking to, filling, and filling in minutes, are "fun, exciting, and rewarding"?

They have and they do. Exactly why I "jumped in to the Sport" as stated earlier in the thread.

I'm excited.

With the exception of the fine folks within this forum - 100% of the Players, TDs and Vendors that I've spoken with, one local TD just 30 minutes ago - love the idea and are excited to have something out of the box coming to the area.

I have learned a lot in the past 4 days about the Sport. You'll get your small town locals to play some frolf. Anyone who can call their local park and rec department can do that. Anything else you've said is just a bunch of empty promises

I love voicing my thoughts, and no offense, I don't require your permission to do so.

Just trying to create a cool, exciting and rewarding Tournament Series in the cool, exciting and fun world of Disc Golf.

My wheel may or may not "roll" - just depends on if the Players, Sponsors and Fans buy in to the concept by opening their wallets.

Disruptive ideas / products tend to sell well. We'll have to just wait and see.

You're so tone deaf your ignorance is appalling.

Last edited:
You're so tone deaf your ignorance is appalling.

Tone Deaf? Is this an Orchestra?

adjective: tone-deaf

(of a person) unable to perceive differences of musical pitch accurately.

In reality, I hear you. Just don't agree with you for the most part.

Disc Golf is a sport. It's not a Cult or a Cultural Revolution. It's Golf with a Disc where Players throw it to compete to win and have fun . . .

Hot take:

Everybody has plenty of time to sign up, but they bid an entry fee (subject to minimum). Everybody who bid as high as whatever fee results in fewer than 73 players gets in at that fee.
I like Steve's idea above. Similarly, you could keep increasing the entry fee by $10 until you found a "sweet spot" where only about 40-60% would fill fast, then still leave time for those "thinking about it" to figure it out. Ultimately like Steve's idea above, it's more $ to get in.

That all being said, I DO NOT think it's PDGA's responsibility to do something to EVERY TD in EVERY AREA, when the issue doesn't affect all. Besides, whatever solution or system you choose to minimize the fastest Internet competition, there will be complainers. No matter what you do/choose. So go with one to bring in more $ and allow you to put on a better event.

My other hobby was filling 250-300 person events in less than a minute. Their solution was to sell a limited number of passes that allow you priority registration. The particular series of events opens registration for the pass holders for a week, then opens the event to the general public a week later.

It works pretty well. The people that want to pay the additional money ($130 last year, down to $99 this year) don't have to scramble to register. The people like myself that opt to save some money and fight the masses a couple times a year, have an easier time registering because 120 people have already registered and aren't hitting F5 repeatedly.

As an avid free-marketeer, letting prices reach what the market will bear has some appeal. Plus, in our case, we're raising money for a charity, so we'd raise more, which is nice.

I've seen it done in a roundabout way with spots held for sponsors.

But I also lament the escalation of tournament entry fees, out of general principle, so it's hard for me to make that leap. We did bump our entry fees a bit, and scheduled against a big event a couple of hours away, hoping that and Covid would depress demand.

Mostly, I just wish the PDGA would lighten up on these restrictions; I think they may have outlived their usefulness.

My opinion would be to remove the restrictions on the number of club members, sponsors, etc. that can register ahead of the general public. If the event fills, more power to them, and then let another event run within the mileage halo.

I definitely could see DiscGolfScene allowing the setup of a lottery entry system. Where everything is the same except instead of going directly into the tournament registry, the players go into a lottery system and once the lottery is filled, DGS randomizes the lottery and automatically places players into the event registry. Those that did not make it in from the lottery go directly to the waiting list. TDs could limit the size of the lottery to whatever number they need. If the lottery was too small to fill the entire event, regular registration opens up after the lottery. Easy peasy.

This is a good problem to have, but implies that the current model is inadequate.

My opinion would be to remove the restrictions on the number of club members, sponsors, etc. that can register ahead of the general public. If the event fills, more power to them, and then let another event run within the mileage halo.

Amen. Let TD's fill their events as they see fit.

I definitely could see DiscGolfScene allowing the setup of a lottery entry system. Where everything is the same except instead of going directly into the tournament registry, the players go into a lottery system and once the lottery is filled, DGS randomizes the lottery and automatically places players into the event registry. Those that did not make it in from the lottery go directly to the waiting list. TDs could limit the size of the lottery to whatever number they need. If the lottery was too small to fill the entire event, regular registration opens up after the lottery. Easy peasy.

Isn't this how Beaver State Ams works? I think they use a different platform than DGS though. Someone from the Northwest can undoubtedly tell us.

Latest posts