• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fast-Filling Events

We just had our Spring tournament this past weekend. By far it was the fastest filling and had the most cancellations. We have always had a $4 portion of the entry fee be non-refundable when withdrawing.

As mentioned above, I do get a sense of players signing up for tournaments not knowing if they will be available that day just to save the spot. The increase in cancellations makes it more difficult to manage the waitlist and deters players who could potentially get in but see a large waitlist. Not sure if the answer is to open registration closer to the event, increase the cancellation fee, or a combination of both.

Also, I don't see opening to non-PDGA members an issue. Out of 84 players, we only had 9 non members / not current. Plus, we are a C-Tier introducing the sport to new players and providing a tournament to local club members who don't play other courses.

Interesting idea to ponder is what if non-members without a rating were not allowed to win higher than 2nd place in Am divisions below MA1/FA1? Unless all players in a division were non-members, the PDGA member with the best score would get first place, even if some non-members scored better. Then, everyone else would be ranked by total score like normal below that PDGA member and prizes distributed accordingly. Might be just a minor improvement but "baggers" winning a division seems to produce greater outcry than unrated players winning prizes below first.

It's getting crazy here in Arizona (and I'm sure elsewhere). One tournament was limited to 50 players and the waitlist had over 50 people on it. They were finally able to get permission to open it up to another 50. But there are people desperate to play and not enough tournaments and/or openings. The majority of the sanctioned ones are limited to specific groups (Juniors only, Women only, Pros only, AMs only), which limits the availability.

Also, I don't see opening to non-PDGA members an issue. Out of 84 players, we only had 9 non members / not current. Plus, we are a C-Tier introducing the sport to new players and providing a tournament to local club members who don't play other courses.

I would say guaranteeing that last 10%+ registration to current members would be optimal. Especially if you could fill that from the waiting list with current members.

I don't think events that are catered to first time players need to be sanctioned, even as C-Tiers. That's just a personal opinion, as someone who ran plenty of non-sanctioned events in the past. I think a lot of people get tied up in the thought process that tournaments all need to be sanctioned.

Last edited:
I don't get the non-refundable waitlist fee at all. I gotta pay you $5 for you to tell me that I can't play with you?

You are paying $5 in exchange for the TD having to notify you if a spot opens up. Don't pay the $5 if your not worried about finding that out. Do you think it's better to drive to the site to find out on the morning of if you got in?

You are paying $5 in exchange for the TD having to notify you if a spot opens up. Don't pay the $5 if your not worried about finding that out. Do you think it's better to drive to the site to find out on the morning of if you got in?

Maybe I don't understand it.

Say there is an event tomorrow. There are 40 people on the waitlist. I haven't signed up. I ask if anyone is cancelling and how the waitlist is looking. I get encouraged by the TD to sign up. Then 40 people don't cancel over the course of the next few hours. I don't get in.

So that experience costs me $5?

Say there is an event tomorrow. There are 40 people on the waitlist. I haven't signed up. I ask if anyone is cancelling and how the waitlist is looking. I get encouraged by the TD to sign up. Then 40 people don't cancel over the course of the next few hours. I don't get in.

40 people on the wait list for the next day is not a time to sign up. This example is not a problem even if the TD said to sign up. Ask him why should you sign up with such a long waiting list. Ask if you get the $5 back since it's so close and he encouraged you to sign up.

Many ways to handle that without losing anything.

Interesting idea to ponder is what if non-members without a rating were not allowed to win higher than 2nd place in Am divisions below MA1/FA1? Unless all players in a division were non-members, the PDGA member with the best score would get first place, even if some non-members scored better. Then, everyone else would be ranked by total score like normal below that PDGA member and prizes distributed accordingly. Might be just a minor improvement but "baggers" winning a division seems to produce greater outcry than unrated players winning prizes below first.

More complex than most people would tolerate, but I see merit to it.

Alternatively limiting unrated adult players to Open or ADV divisions they otherwise qualify for based on age and sex, or a "True Amateur" type division which pays out fully in "players pack".

OK, it's been pondered.

Now, never speak of it again.

How about increasing the cancellation fee to 50% and/or players don't get a refund in the last 7!or 14 days.

The Charlotte marathon is in November. That's eight months away, to accentuate my point. The race website already states there is no refund policy. And registration is more than the majority of all disc golf events. Maybe if disc golf wants to be taken more seriously, especially by players, it should tighten up its reigns.

How about increasing the cancellation fee to 50% and/or players don't get a refund in the last 7!or 14 days.

The Charlotte marathon is in November. That's eight months away, to accentuate my point. The race website already states there is no refund policy. And registration is more than the majority of all disc golf events. Maybe if disc golf wants to be taken more seriously, especially by players, it should tighten up its reigns.

We do a sliding scale refund based on how far out you cancel and did the spot get filled. There are some PDGA rules that regulate how far you can take it out, which we could go further. May look into going further with the recent spike in cancellations. Below is a copy of our refund policy from the last tournament.

Players who officially request to withdraw from the tournament:

OMDG will refund any player in full (minus fees) if requested by 9:00 AM Tuesday 3/9/21

OMDG will refund any player in full (minus fees) before 8:00 PM Thursday 3/11/21 - ONLY IF we can fill the spot.

For Withdrawals from 8:00 PM Thursday 3/11/21 to 7:00 AM Saturday 3/13/21 - players will receive entry fee value (minus fees) in merchandise at vendors convenience.

No shows forfeit all entry fees.

OMDG fee is non-refundable.

To accommodate more players, regionally, we have made many one day events two days. Saturdays are ALL AM besides MA1 and MA40 - Sundays are ALL PRO with MA1 and MA40. Seems a nice balance has been hit for now.

My guess is that next year we will see events go from two days to three days. MA3 and MA2 Saturdays - ALL other AM Sundays - ALL PRO on another, separate day all together.

It has been great to see events in close proximity (Date and location) work with each other already - agreeing to have their AM and PRO days mirroring each other.

Not exactly on topic, but in the realm -

I have moved to using a $0 sign up for the waitlist.

If you get in, DGScene sends you an email to pay up.

As a TD, no worries about refunding any players on the waitlist or complaints about the $1.39 (Guesstimate) fee they are charged using DGScene.

Just a suggestion to other TDs - makes life much easier. IMO.

To accommodate more players, regionally, we have made many one day events two days. Saturdays are ALL AM besides MA1 and MA40 - Sundays are ALL PRO with MA1 and MA40. Seems a nice balance has been hit for now.

My guess is that next year we will see events go from two days to three days. MA3 and MA2 Saturdays - ALL other AM Sundays - ALL PRO on another, separate day all together.

It has been great to see events in close proximity (Date and location) work with each other already - agreeing to have their AM and PRO days mirroring each other.

That's a piece of the solution, right there.

Around here, it wasn't that long ago that most events, even C-tiers, were 2 days. Looking at the calendar I see some still are, but 1-day C-tiers have become much more common. That just about doubles the calendar capacity and if they'll limit divisions and coordinate with other courses, they can just about double it again.

Point well taken. Maybe it is a rhetorical device on your part, I just don't want the misunderstanding that I am with the PDGA because I am not.

I will be interested to see if this explosion in tournament players is long term, or if it is simply an effect of lockdown and people flocking to something that is available and safe. Time will tell. Maybe in two years things go back to a normal level, and all the $10 million dollar contracts and 2 minute tournament fill times will be a thing of the past. I'm sure some of the growth will stay but I'm not convinced it will stay at it's current level.

As country concerts resume some of the chuckers will go away.

No. It's the easiest thing to understand in the world. Don't pay and you won't lose the $5. The TD doesn't owe you the opportunity to get on the waitlist. No one is forcing you to pay to be on the waitlist. Win/win.

If the wait-list is as much or even greater than the playing field itself then the price is way too low. I say most of the entries are playing MA1 through MA3. one possible solution is if it's a one day event have one day have the MA1 through MA3 play on one day and then everybody else play on the other.