• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Favorite discontinued discs/molds/plastics?

I noticed Innova started doing the Metal Flake runs again in most molds except the VRoc.

I have been throwing a MF VRoc I paid a not-so-cheap amount for and I absolutely love this thing.

It flies slightly different than a Star plastic VRoc but also it seems to be dome-ier than the regular Champion plastic ones.

I just wonder why Innova is putting out new MF Teebirds, Roc3s, Gators, and Teebird3's but not the VRoc, Destroyer, or Katana.
VRoc is no longer listed upfront here among the other Innova mids - Innova Disc Golf Discs - Innova Disc Golf. Lion shares the same Vtech bottom but the Roc3 flat top (VRoc3). They are making that in KC Pro but not MF Champ yet :confused:.

I feel like the VRoc in GStar was really solid as a beginner mid. Didn't like the F2 Champ one I had. The DX has always felt pretty good and seems like the only available plastic now - Factory store has Champ and Star VRoc under the OOP mids but DX under the Full Production still.

VRoc is no longer listed upfront here among the other Innova mids - Innova Disc Golf Discs - Innova Disc Golf. Lion shares the same Vtech bottom but the Roc3 flat top (VRoc3). They are making that in KC Pro but not MF Champ yet :confused:.

I feel like the VRoc in GStar was really solid as a beginner mid. Didn't like the F2 Champ one I had. The DX has always felt pretty good and seems like the only available plastic now - Factory store has Champ and Star VRoc under the OOP mids but DX under the Full Production still.
I also noticed the Groove, Dominator, Vulcan, Archon, StarFire, Banshee and TeeDevil aren't there.

I also noticed the Groove, Dominator, Vulcan, Archon, StarFire, Banshee and TeeDevil aren't there.
I usually cross check that page and what the factory store has moved out of full production to limited - OOP. Probably should be known that OOP means more of 'not in active production unless enough interest is shown to do a special Factory Store run' for Innova as long as the mold is still capable. I know other companies with OOP molds run them for various limited requests/tournament fundraising (Trilogy/Discraft).

I wonder if the Dominator/Vulcan/TeeDevil all shared a mold piece that they don't want to run anymore 🕵️‍♂️. Probably a few will miss the Vulcan but don't think the Dominator or TeeDevil were necessarily well liked molds (Was the TeeDevil = the Destrulcan Destroyer/Vulcan mold combination?).

Banshee hopefully lives on with limited runs (Swirly Star, Metal Flake Champ, Gummy Champ, Glow would be cool) along with the EXP from Millennium. Maybe Innova will recreate the mold for premium plastics so it can be run flatter (more like DX profile) or as a Halo mold.

Feel lucky a few months ago to have picked up a Plasma Tangent and Plasma Anode. Love the Tangent approaches and putting.

A lot of the L molds in the Innova line up are really underrated imo. We all know the EL was beloved, but the Firebird-L and Starfire-L were also amazing, especially the SL.

I was throwing almost all gyro when they moved to their new manufacturing location and made a bunch of molds OOP. The Alias, Theory, and Axis were all really great molds that I'm still a little sad about even though I don't throw them anymore.

Also the Trident was another big disappointment. When THAT was made OOP, I was throwing mostly Trilogy and I know a lot of people who were upset with that announcement. The Villain was another that was less missed, but still a bummer.

Starfire is a great mold that no one seems to throw anymore. Once up on a time they were super popular. None of those other molds really were.

Archon is underrated as a slightly flippier Wraith variant.

IMO Colossus and Firestorm should be ditched as well. Not very good molds, and zero popularity.

Starfire is a great mold that no one seems to throw anymore. Once up on a time they were super popular. None of those other molds really were.

Archon is underrated as a slightly flippier Wraith variant.

IMO Colossus and Firestorm should be ditched as well. Not very good molds, and zero popularity.

I still throw Starfires and absolutely love them as they are basically a faster Thunderbird when they get beat in.

In my experience way more people threw Banshees at one point than ever threw Starfires.

Before I switched to Prodigy the OOP disc I missed was the Piranha. With Prodigy I miss 400g plastic.

In my experience way more people threw Banshees at one point than ever threw Starfires.

Before I switched to Prodigy the OOP disc I missed was the Piranha. With Prodigy I miss 400g plastic.
Around here in 2005-7 starfires were quite a big hit. Banshees never seemed too popular though I definitely see them more often than starfires anymore. Teerex, xcals and Destroyers seemed to take over their role and later ended up being better complimented by thunderbirds, PDs or even orcs than the starfires.

I was always confused how fast PDs gained traction leaving the starfire so forgotten. Probably a combo of crazy innova overlap and X/L mold confusion.

Around here in 2005-7 starfires were quite a big hit. Banshees never seemed too popular though I definitely see them more often than starfires anymore. Teerex, xcals and Destroyers seemed to take over their role and later ended up being better complimented by thunderbirds, PDs or even orcs than the starfires.

I was always confused how fast PDs gained traction leaving the starfire so forgotten. Probably a combo of crazy innova overlap and X/L mold confusion.
My understanding is that the Anhyzer top was used for some period with the Teerex potentially? maybe that fast tracked the PD to popularity. The DM DD first run was penned AW or WX so that mold configuration could have been the same as that period of Teerex - don't know if the Teerex shared/shares the bottom rim with the Wraith.

Starfire mold configuration had a 'shim/spacer' in the rim but the top was shared with the Wraith & OLF/OLS. OLF had a bit of popularity prior to the PD's arrival.

My experience with the Starfire (and Infinite Aztec/SL) was that they didn't hold up in headwinds very well. PD is more stable & torque resistant. Wraith and Orc get better distance & versatility.

There are quite a few Starfires in the iDye section of the factory store despite being OOP. I've never really hooked up with Thunderbirds so the Starfire is going back in the bag.

A few weeks ago, I picked up my 3rd OOP a Plasma Ion for $9 in a PIAS used bin. Nice turn and fade. The previous were Plasma Tangent and Anode.

There are quite a few Starfires in the iDye section of the factory store despite being OOP. I've never really hooked up with Thunderbirds so the Starfire is going back in the bag.

IDK if you're brand specific, but I feel like the Anax does everything the Starfire or Thunderbird does, but way better.

The tangent is pretty awesome, underwhelming distance but it goes exactly as far as the effort you put in, shapes lines in the wind and feels comfortably shallow and round in the hand. Doubles as a wind putter.

The one I was most disappointed in being oopd was the switch... great disc that didn't fly like the numbers suggested. The mullet of fairway drivers, clean control and turn up front and a big fade in the back. A truly great line shaping disc.

Wasp in X plastic

Oooohhh.

That sounds amazing. I wish I could've thrown one of those.

Or still could throw one I guess. Stupid boutique runs. Camo, slick ESP Wasps don't fit the bill.

Oooohhh.

That sounds amazing. I wish I could've thrown one of those.

Or still could throw one I guess. Stupid boutique runs. Camo, slick ESP Wasps don't fit the bill.
They were awesome, especially since this was back in the day when Rocs weren't available in anything more durable than KC Pro so mold minimalists who wanted a Roc cycle with a premium OS bookend could throw wasps.