• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Drivers

Discwing K II seems to glide forever and is really fast.

star tee rex. hands down. yeah, destroyer is awesome but it seems to turnover to easily. i keep 4 tee rexes in the bag and would carry more if i could ever find the ones i've lost.

Last edited:
What am I doing wrong?

star tee rex. hands down. yeah, destroyer is awesome but it seems to turnover to easily. i keep 4 tee rexes in the bag and would carry more if i could ever find the ones i've lost.

I just purchased a TeeRex and I can't throw it to save my life. I am a left-handed predom. backhand thrower and this disc constantly turns over on me (to the right) after about 75 feet. If I throw it forehand I can get it to go about 200-250 feet. What am I doing wrong? Am I not strong enough to throw it backhand? :(

I just purchased a TeeRex and I can't throw it to save my life. I am a left-handed predom. backhand thrower and this disc constantly turns over on me (to the right) after about 75 feet. If I throw it forehand I can get it to go about 200-250 feet. What am I doing wrong? Am I not strong enough to throw it backhand? :(

I cant throw a T-Rex, Destroyer, or any of those very overstable discs. I throw RHBH, and I just dont generate enough power. I am 6' tall about 175, and I am pretty skinny. Discs like the T-rex will just go about 75' then dive hard left for me.

Discs are different for different players. My friend Chris is an absolute beast, so he prefers very overstable discs like the T-Rex and Destroyer. He can throw them a mile. Since I generate less snap, I like to throw more understable discs such as the Sidewinder (my longest) or the Discraft Avenger SS. I also have very good luck with a 167g Beast in star plastic. For my friend Chris, this thing would sail left on him (he is left handed), but for me, it makes a nice sweeping S curve. You need to find the discs that fit your game. If the T-Rex is dying on you like that, try something a little more understable.

The other big thing is work on your form. I was consistenly only throwing about 235' or so. For three weeks in the evenings, instead of going to the course, I went to an open field and just worked on my distance. I was able to get up to where I can now throw over 300' in just a few weeks, and my next goal is 350'.

The keys to getting good distance, in my opinion, are as follows, in order of importance:

1. footwork (nice x-step, lots of resources on the interenet about this)
2. release angle (you must have the proper hyzer/anhyzer angle on the disc as it comes out of your hand for the shot you want)
3. keep the disc low, high shots stall out and lose tons of distance.
4. grip (I switched to the power grip, and after i got used to it, I cant imagine using anything else)

Keep at it and you will get there. I carry 3 drivers, A Sidewinder, a Beast, and and SL. The SL is the most stable disc I carry. For other players, this disc can be understable, but for me, its overstable. No disc is the "ultimate" driver, you just need to find the ulitmate driver that fits your throw.

My fav drivers are the 150 class surge and a lightweight Wildcat, I'll go heavier weights the stiffer the headwind.

I have been throwing...

a DX Orc... and throwing it pretty well, But I just picked up a DX Wraith and can't wait to try it out!!!

Josh

Lite Wraith... wet, not stirred

My bud pulled a DX Wraith out of a pond two weeks ago. No name, no number, no nothing.. so, we put it in our bag.
To be a jerk, I grabbed it at the next water hole and threw it (instead of my hydra). I thought for sure I'd get it wet again. It went flying over the water with Tsk and a laugh.
So.. my new fave is a 168 (i think) gram wraith that we pulled from a lake.

Might by it in Star soon...

i have an obsession with buying new discs and experimenting
168 Champ Orc
170 Champ Beast
172 FLX surge
174 ESP Flash
175 Star Tbird
171 Star Roadrunner
171 Z Flick
171 Pro Firebird
170 Sabre
170 Assassin
176 Inferno ( had to it was $5 bux)

Im a fairly new player with a baseball background so LHFH came quite naturally - but only a few discs can really tolerate a hard forehand throw and i decided to give backhand throwing a legitimate try. i've been working on my backhand form for the past few weeks.

The Surge/Orc/Beast/Flash were probably too much disc for a beginner - i couldnt throw them anywhere- i've gotten to the point where i can now get a slight s curve out of them when thrown BH - these can go forever if thrown FH - but you need hyzer or you're just looking at a horrible turnover shot that goes 100 feet. I like the feel of the FLX and ESP plastics but i can never throw the FLASH or SURGE with much consistency. Seems like the Beast and Orc are way more consistent for me. 300 is an avg throw for any of these.

When i first tried the Tbird it was forehand and i threw some nice S curves - i thought they were crazy by calling it an overstable driver- however at the time i had no idea how powerful FH can be. - now if i throw it backhand w/anhyzer i can get some decent distance. 300' - i'd say this is a great beginner driver. once you can master this you can certainly master the faster more understable drivers.

I was very impressed with the Roadrunner -easy to turnover & fast with good glide - would highly recommend as a first highspeed driver. - great for low tunnelshots

The Flick is the most overstable disc i have - i havent seen anything close - at this point i can only throw FH - unless im throwing into some 40 Knot breeze - i have no chance at turning it over. but FH i can throw approx 400 Feet - speed is the key - once it fades it just dies has zero glide - gotta get it out fast - im working on different FH release angles it's hard to even turn over when thrown flat.

I bought the Firebird so i could use a flat forehand release. i've only had it for a small time and thus far i have been impressed. Had a 400 foot toss the other day.

The Sabre is a terrible disc - feels like you're throwing a ceramic plate- the dome is quite thick never get any distance - just use a Buzzz instead

the Assassin is a really nice disc it looks like a Roadrunner but is a more overstable - nice disc - can put a nice s curve on it - every once in a while can bomb it - goes further than all my other discs.

I like the inferno and can get an audible "snap" upon release but i think the 176g is too much weight for me - i think a lighter weight would be a decent first highspeed driver.

I'm also a fairly new player and the only driver I've ever known is my 175g DX Wraith. I found it hard to throw for the first month or so, it's not beginner friendly at all. But I've got it figured out now and I can throw it nearly 400' on a good day.

I love my Avenger SS for long straight "tunnel" shots and turnovers.

I use stalker for shorter holes with a predictable fade.

Beat-up DX leopard for hard anhyzers.

Reaper for crazy fades or left turns.

Valkyrie for long-controlled distance

Spectra is good for no wind and downwind and goes straight with a little anny, wraith for most stuff, firebird for superwinds, surge for stuff i don't know what to use, and monarch for annys and rollers when i feels like trying my luck at them. It all depends on the shot.

Which ever one I can throw that particular day, lately, its been a pinwheel of:

Champ Valk 168
Champ Wraith 165
Avenger Z 164
Champ Firebird 166
Surge SS FLX 173
Surge ESP 166
Champ Sidewinder 174 (man, I've missed that disc since i've taken it out of my bag, stupid me for buying white at the onslaught of winter....)
Avenger SS FLX 174

Its been a rollercoaster ride playing in the snow, its a totally different game, and the fact that my hands get cold easily doesn't help for consistancy whatsoever....

These are the drivers I used in todays 18:

173 Champion Beast (used on 4-6/18)
172 Star SL (used on 2-3/18)
173 Champion 11x Firebird (used on 3-5/18)
169 Star Wraith (used on 2-4/18)
172 Champion Boss (2-3/18)

Latest posts