• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite putter

I love Rattlers. I have had one in my bag almost since I started playing. I actually use them for most upshots and drives inside of 200' and for putting. It is just good to have a disc that I can throw or putt dead straight. Wind is obviously a problem for me. I usually have 4 that I rotate through my bag and pick my favorite two for tourneys. They take a while to break in to where I like to throw them, so I try to have more than two ready at all times in case something bad happens to the ones I am throwing.

I also carry stable aviars (BB or star or champ-glow) for windy days and anything I need to throw to the left. I would carry more putters but I have limited room in my bag and really don't want to carry a heavier bag. (sissy girlpants)

Not my favorite putter, but I really like the Rattler too. I read about the different lid like putters and bought a Sonic and a Polecat because they were more readily available, but I wasn't too impressed till I got a Rattler. The Sonic and the Polecat had a decent fade at low speeds. In my case I use the Rattler for really long putts I want to make a run at, long downhill upshots that can't fade and upshots in the woods. They don't get used a bunch but are worth a spot in my bag.

The APX gives the Rattlers a good run sacrificing only a little of the benefits of the lids not gaining in anything really so whichever you use they are greatly helped by a beefier putter. And my average hit rate per distance was the highest with most putting practice ever put in with Rattlers. About 50 % make rate at 50' for a month and a half to almost two months. Winter so i had not much better to do training wise. It was sure part the disc and not just the practice. I practice putting way too little since then being so disappointed in the make rate with other discs. And being bitten by the poor performance on average with the Rattler across the mostly windy days around the year here by the sea side. Gusts and stuff. Back then my arm injury could not withstand the grip of the Rattler much either so it was practical necessity that forced me to switch to less straining discs=thinner ones. After years of recuperation and rehab Rattlers might still be too steep and their wind handling has not changed to i can't go back to them. If anyone can play in mostly calm conditions and can handle the tall profile they are hard pressed to find a deadlier putter than rubber based tacky Rattlers. Unless you can pry the lizard stamped ones from Mark Ellis :)

For me personally grip easiness for my injuries and wind beating performance my favorite putter does not exist yet. It could be two different kinds of disc at least that i've identified. Rattler with wind beating and as a bonus a thinner grip or a tacky suitable Ion or the best kind of Anode. Since the best Ions are almost like thinner Rattlers but lack the grip i'm screwed. At least if i don't apply a really good grip enhancer. That is an avenue that needs exploration. I had slip out during putting, approaches and especially driving today and it wasn't even cold for the season 34F.