• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Fckunig Ptteurs

Jbultman

Birdie Member
Still can't settle on a putter. However I think I would like to go with something a little less stable than what I've tried. P2, kc aviar, judge...

My style is a spush putt. I'd say almost 50/50, similar to Conrad.

Looking for a putter that I can putt straight at the basket as I've been fading out early and hit the cage all too often. I'd love a bead and prefer it to be hardish and tackyish. What suggestions you've got?

Thanks all!!

Beaded and less stable than a judge? Don't know, maybe p1x? I've switched between kc's and wizards but what really helped was putting more snap on the spush. I reckon my put is more like Dickerson's right now.

No bead, but the classic aviars is really straight, v little fade. I also had problems with hitting low and fading out early, not with the classic aviars tho. Comes in extra firm dx

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Testing putters is a sport in it self... fun sport

Bead. . Gateway Voodoo or RPM Ruru

Straight putters, but no bead. . Gateway Magic or DD Deputy

Really you have 2 options:

1. find something that is comfortable in your hand, and putt with that enough where your current motion adapts to the putter you're using.

2. try everything and hope you find that magical single putter that fits perfectly for you.

From experience, #2 is a really tough way to go about things. That said, something beaded and less stable with a judge is kind of a unicorn. Beads add stability and reduce glide, so finding something straighter than a judge is going to be really difficult to work out. You could try a small bead disc like a challenger or voodoo?

Play a couple of putter only rounds with a few putters and beat them in. You can beat a Judge in pretty quickly (in my experience anyway), then you may get the flight you want.

I personally prefer to putt with beat in putters, I just prefer the feel. I'm not a fan of new plastic.

And, find a putter that works closest to what you like, bead, or no bead and relatively straight for your wants, then just stick with it and learn to putt "it". Never mind chasing every putter out there. Once you get good at putting, you'll soon find in an emergency (lost putter, left it at home or whatever) you can putt with pretty much anything.

You can either control your putter, or be controlled by it; you choose.

Looking for a putter that I can putt straight at the basket as I've been fading out early and hit the cage all too often. I'd love a bead and prefer it to be hardish and tackyish. What suggestions you've got?

Prodigy Pa3 in 350g plastic.

After that, maybe a Classic Hard Deputy.

I agree with find something that feels good in your hand, then go from there.

Don't listen to all of the "this is the best putter" comments, I would say it's the 86 Softie (which it is ;) ) but they don't make those any more.

I second the p1x suggestion. I switched from wizards and have been very happy with them for putting (d line) and throwing (x line)

These have already been mentioned, but the Voodoo, Focus, or Challenger might have what you are look for. Voodoo I think is the strongest candidate.

Having said that, I would recommend modifying your putt to make the putter do what you want. Maybe that's with a putter you already have, or it might be easier to adjust your putt if you have a new, different feeling putter in your hand. Either way, I'm a fan of learning how to work a disc so that it does what you want.

It really comes down to a minimalism argument. I understand the advantages of never changing your throw and relying on the disc to determine the flight shape. But it seems to me like your game would be limited by the number of discs you carry if that is your mentality. If you really know how to work a disc then you are well prepared for any hole you come up against. And your bag is lighter and your wallet is heavier :)

Inside 30ft it really is about your feel and confidence. Just pick a putter that feels good to you and then make that work. Start with a methodical routine starting from your legs and self evaluate how each is performing in the process. Where is you big toe pointed? Are you on the balls of your feet or on your toes? Do you rock back and forth or stay grounded?????? The putter only does what you tell it to do. There really is no magic putter. And if you buy a putter to do something as it relates to your mechanics and you don't really know what that is, you will evolve and change your putting style and your putter will then "not work". Is is always the archer and never the arrow...... That being said, I love putting with the Firm Electron Pilots inside 30 feet. Find a mold you like, beat some in, evaluate your putting style to the disc, and then adjust.

If you are hitting the cage with a Judge you are simply not giving it enough juice or height. One or the other, they are very glidey. If you like the bead on a putter to place your finger on it (like I do) than the voodoo simply wont feel comfortable, it is very straight but has a micro bead so I could never really feel it when putting. I would say keep the judge or try out the yeti pro aviar or the new Link in exohard from Dismania (amazing disc that feels very similar to a judge).

Agreed that putters all fly the same inside ~30 feet. Try something like a Swan 2 if you want that -1 turn rating, but I barely can tell a difference between its flight and my beloved KC/JK Aviars'.

Maybe just take the KC Aviar you like and slide 'em around a parking lot a bit to take some of the bead (read: stability) off.

Also, if you dont NEED a bead there's the Deputy, Swan, or even Roach. They are all less stable the discs you have listed, like some others have said.

I don't think you're going to find a putter to solve your issues like practice to build your confidence would. Every putter, no matter how neutral will drop and hit cage or fade early if you don't execute.

I don't think you're going to find a putter to solve your issues like practice to build your confidence would. Every putter, no matter how neutral will drop and hit cage or fade early if you don't execute.

Now that sounds too damn simple and requires some work:doh:

There has to be a putter out there that does all the work for you!:p
And of course, there is going to be an endless list of disc suggestions

People who are good putters aren't keeping a secret from everyone else. Simple practice is what it takes with a putter that feels good in your hand.
Which putter is that? Only you know.