• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] FD Vs Undertaker

18martha18

Hello. Do you by experience think that an undertaker flies longer straight than an FD. Or is is very close?

All varieties of production FD are less high speed stable than all varieties of undertaker. The undertaker is a very straight disc in that it will hold its line very well, but it's not understable for mortal arm speeds by any stretch. Depending on how far you throw an FD, it may end up being straighter. For me, in the 320-370' range, the undertaker is very straight. The FD requires less power to get to go straight. YMMV.

Even the same mold can be comparatively different (2nd run FD vs other runs; FR Undy [OS] vs normal Z Undy). I think regardless, the Undy will flip less and fade more (comparing normal runs, translucent durable plastics). Distance will likely be comparable for average arms with negligible differences.

In a nutshell, they could probably serve different purposes for the same distance range, with some probable overlap. Go with what is comfortable.

Both molds are always in my bag, and I've been throwing FD's for a couple years longer than Undertakers.

Seasoned G-Line FD is my go to fairway driver for controlled straight shots and mild turnovers.
X-Undertaker is my workhorse driver, when in doubt it's what I'll toss for controlled distance.
Z-Undertaker is thrown when I want a bit more fade than I get from the X-plastic.

Undertaker is speed 9, FD is speed 7. Yes, the Undertaker has more distance potential. It will require more arm speed to get the same turn as an FD, but all else equal the undertaker will go further at sufficiently high arm speeds. At lower arm speeds, the FD will be the one flying straighter for longer.

As a long time FD thrower(still throwing my first run Jackal's), and having recently tried out the Undertaker in Big Z, ESP and X, I could see where somebody could swap out their FD's for Undertaker's or vice versa.

I would disagree with the notion that an Undertaker is a speed 9 disc, even though Discraft markets it as so. I'd liken it more to a speed 8 disc IMO. However, I do agree that the power/spin requirement for the Undertaker is a bit more than that of the FD in order to achieve the same flight pattern, but it's definitely doable.

Both discs compliment each other well in my opinion. The Undertaker functions as a more overstable FD. I've never thrown a 2nd run FD, but I'd imagine it is similar. Definitely more stable than an FD, but nothing crazy.

The disc profiles are extremely similar, which is why I could see bagging both. I had both in the bag for a while, but I found the Undertaker to be a somewhat underwhelming (pun intended) disc and overlapped too much with Vultures and FDs which are absolute staples for me. The Undertaker is definitely more in the speed 7/8 range, and doesn't carry as far as the FD (more glide) and Vulture (more speed). So if the FD is your only fairway driver and you're just looking for something a bit more stable, the Undertaker is great. But if you also use something like a thunderbird, teebird, or explorer, you will have no use for the undertaker.

As a long time FD thrower(still throwing my first run Jackal's), and having recently tried out the Undertaker in Big Z, ESP and X, I could see where somebody could swap out their FD's for Undertaker's or vice versa.

I would disagree with the notion that an Undertaker is a speed 9 disc, even though Discraft markets it as so. I'd liken it more to a speed 8 disc IMO. However, I do agree that the power/spin requirement for the Undertaker is a bit more than that of the FD in order to achieve the same flight pattern, but it's definitely doable.
FWIW Undertaker has 2.0cm rim width and FD has 1.8cm rim width. Pretty on par with what a typical 9 and 7 speed respectively. But any two speeds right next to each other are going to be very hard to tell the difference in speed.

FWIW Undertaker has 2.0cm rim width and FD has 1.8cm rim width. Pretty on par with what a typical 9 and 7 speed respectively. But any two speeds right next to each other are going to be very hard to tell the difference in speed.

Undertakers are not a 2,0cm Rim disc, PDGA says 1,9cm but and even that is a stretch . .i have alot of Undertakers and my caliper has them at 1,85cm
My FDs are at 1,8cm

So in pure rim width they are close

Undertakers are not a 2,0cm Rim disc, PDGA says 1,9cm but and even that is a stretch . .i have alot of Undertakers and my caliper has them at 1,85cm
My FDs are at 1,8cm

So in pure rim width they are close

Interesting. I've been casually checking out molds that fill the slightly understable fairway slot, just in case Stags go OOP. I really like the feel of discs in that 1.9 range. I may have to check Undertakers out if Stags go away.

Latest posts