• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] FD2 - retooled

Keeping an eye out for the production run to show up at infinite or the like. Need a couple near 170 if I can manage.

I feel we're coming around the corner on this one, but the vague timeframes and lessons in cautious optimism make me think of something:

This mold's nickname should be the FD2 "Cold Fusion," the disc that two months away, and always will be.

I was in a shop yesterday that got more of the RR's in. Haven't seen any of the new production runs in shops yet. I'm gonna hafta feel the production run up before I decide if I want to purchase one.

All my RRs are from that initial run...all pink
If my local store gets some in blue I will have to get some more

I'm also hoping they get some stock FD2s just to see.

They should get the delivery tomorrow. I can see me walking out with a stack of RT2s, FD2s, and maybe some Enigmas

What do you guys think of the Royal Rage after a full season now? I have found myself wondering if I'm better off bagging a Teebird as a compliment to my FDs, as the main draw of the RR was that it was a comfy FD lower wing on a relatively stable disc. They aren't really all that special though, are they? Really worth skipping a teebird for this thing you think?

Also where are the damn production runs?

I like it. It feels better in the hand for me both FH and BH. I don't think the lower wing is the same as an FD though.

Not sure what you mean by special, but they fit the 7 speed workhorse slot for me.

What do you guys think of the Royal Rage after a full season now? I have found myself wondering if I'm better off bagging a Teebird as a compliment to my FDs, as the main draw of the RR was that it was a comfy FD lower wing on a relatively stable disc. They aren't really all that special though, are they? Really worth skipping a teebird for this thing you think?

Also where are the damn production runs?

I have two flat ones and have tried them several times. I just don't groove with them. Not nearly as OS as I had hoped. I honestly think the new swirly FDs(sample of one but lots of reviews that agree) are more HSS than the FD2s I have and I'm just going to bag 2-3 FDs for my fairways. I can power down a beat PD if I need something more OS.

Was bagging an Eagle X before I tried the swirly FD and definitely preferred it to the FD2. The S/OS fairway slot has been my most troublesome to fill. Tried Teebirds when I was fairly new and didn't love them. I might like them now but I'm not going down that hole.

I throw my RR probably more than any other disc in my bag besides maybe my MD3. I'm actually starting to cycle them. I have a 175g that I've bagged since the release, and it has gotten very beat in and flippy for an FD2. On a forehand it needs put on a very steep hyzer angle in order to make it not flip over. On backhand, it flips to flat and goes dead straight pretty easy, and then it finishes with that nice FD2 finish still. I have a 171g that's in the bag as well that I'm trying to beat in as a replacement for my beat in 175g. And lastly, I have a third FD2 that's a fresh 175g for that more stable flight pattern, for whenever I don't want the FD3 type finish.

RR is probably my favorite release of 2019, although I'm a little dismayed by how quickly they beat in and lose their HSS. Thankfully the LSS hasn't changed too much.

I have a new 175g that I'm holding out on putting in the bag, and my used 175g now needs a bit of hyzer to fly as intended. I love the feel of the plastic and was going to pick up some more to cycle, but I think I'm going to wait for the 2020 run of C-Lines and keep my fingers crossed that they hold up better.

I had also considered using the RR for FH only and going w/ Instincts for BH since my 174g has maintained it's HSS much better with the same use, but I just prefer the feel of the RR for both BH&FH so I'm reminding myself to be patient. Now that I'm reading about how OS the Swirly S-FDs are that's becoming even more challenging...

Just got an email from discmania with news about the fd2

"The highly anticipated release of the BRAND NEW C-Line FD2 and stock run of Soft P-Line P2 will be available this Thursday January 30th at 9:00am Mountain time. (8am Pacific, 10am Central)

Pro tips:
C-Line FD2 is amazing. Great for just about everything and packs even more stability than our famous Royal Rage Color Glow FD2"

I'm excited! On Saturday infinitediscs actually put some up for sale early, can't wait to see how these are compared to the Royal Rages. Sounds like they're still pretty flat.

Was in a shop yesterday when their DM shipment came in and was able to feel one up. It's not the pearly plastic from the recent champion Firebirds, slightly less firm and a little more gummy. They have some shoulder but are otherwise flat. Word is they are more OS than the royal rages.

Depends on whether it's gained high speed or low speed stability. I'm rooting for just the HSS.

This. I run with a Kastaplast/MVP bag from fairways on up, but the RR became my fav DM mold and one that neither of those manufacturers have a replacement for. Hoping the Cline maintains a true 0 HSS for longer than the color glow..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Count me in to the group looking for a touch more HSS. The FD2 is quickly becoming the most thrown disc in my bag. I have even started throwing it forehand and it is lazer straight. I just need like .5 more HSS for those slightly windy/windy days and this disc will take close to 50% of the shots on the course.

My color glow FD2's are perfectly HSS.

Might have something to do with throwing at altitude though.

I don't know that the FD2 really even needs to exist in the Discmania lineup much less be retooled. I just go straight from the FD to the FD3 and don't see a huge need for something kind of between those two molds.

I believe there's some suggestion that this stock version is a touch more HSS and LSS (perhaps due to the slightly higher shoulder as compared to a RR)

Being at altitude myself I do still see a need for the FD2

I don't use it very often (at least in winter) but it's a fantastic FH option when I don't need the HSS and LSS that the FD3 brings. It also allows me to have more HSS/LSS than an FD might provide if the wind has gotten up but I still want the same type of distance

I just don't see me throwing an FD3 as far as an FD2

(I may have to correct that statement once I get more throws in on a seasoned DB2 that I recently picked up...a flatter version...definitely seems more Thunderbird than Doombird. The other DB2 I have is domey and very OS)

My color glow FD2's are perfectly HSS.

Might have something to do with throwing at altitude though.

I don't know that the FD2 really even needs to exist in the Discmania lineup much less be retooled. I just go straight from the FD to the FD3 and don't see a huge need for something kind of between those two molds.

For many, the FD has too much glide and turn. Great woods disc, great elevation disc, but if you play in the open it quickly shows it's weaknesses.