• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] FD2 - retooled

Nice guys, thanks.

I would agree with the TL bottom FD top supposition. Plus maybe a spacer? Maybe not.
Surprised that the above combination would result in such a dynamic flight - seems like the 2019 FD2 flies with a little bit of turn at high power and healthy fade, very much unlike the FD or TL.

Nice guys, thanks.

I would agree with the TL bottom FD top supposition. Plus maybe a spacer? Maybe not.
Surprised that the above combination would result in such a dynamic flight - seems like the 2019 FD2 flies with a little bit of turn at high power and healthy fade, very much unlike the FD or TL.

Unless they flat-top processed these FD2s, I don't think there's any way it has the FD top. Here is a dome comparison with a second run FD (on left), the flattest to date and an outlier for the mold.

Also, some new information - the FD2 shares the same bottom tooling as the Teebird3.

Attachments

• 9FAF9A86-8A5B-4E99-A1A0-97E5BF3E78B4.jpg
    9FAF9A86-8A5B-4E99-A1A0-97E5BF3E78B4.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 115
The good and the bad for me - first, Second Run FD these are not. There is high speed turn, just a light flip up, and the fade is dumpier. I knew this going in, but wanted to test it because the early videos make the flight look Eagle-esque. It's safe to say the comparison is much closer there. As someone who has been searching for a flat, true-flying Eagle for quite some time, these are exciting. I look forward to seeing how these break in.

Unless they flat-top processed these FD2s, I don't think there's any way it has the FD top. Here is a dome comparison with a second run FD (on left), the flattest to date and an outlier for the mold.

Also, some new information - the FD2 shares the same bottom tooling as the Teebird3.

I thought TB3 top instantly.

Same bottom tooling?? So it's a TeeBird3 top with what appears to be a TL bottom. :confused:

EDIT: I bet it's a TB3 top with a spacer on a TL bottom.

Last edited:

I thought TB3 top instantly.

The good and the bad for me - first, Second Run FD these are not. There is high speed turn, just a light flip up, and the fade is dumpier. I knew this going in, but wanted to test it because the early videos make the flight look Eagle-esque. It's safe to say the comparison is much closer there. As someone who has been searching for a flat, true-flying Eagle for quite some time, these are exciting. I look forward to seeing how these break in.

Eagle3? :)

The FD2 is a great forehand disc. It loves being thrown nose down, and bad torque gets soaked up quickly. However, accidentally get the nose up and you're in trouble, the FD2 doesn't want to straighten itself out. It also penetrates really well, consistently passing my 2nd run FD and flat old Eagle L.
So far, it makes me think of an Eagle L-X, does that make sense? Not really an Eagle X, but a more stable/overstable Eagle L. It has the same early flight of the L, with a harder bite at the end.

Yeah, I'm also absolutely loving it for controlled forehands. I'm throwing my Firebird so much less. Just pure, easy butter from 250-300.

On the course so far: 11 throws of which: 5 birdies, 4 good shots just a tick off line / short / long to not net a birdie. 2 bad shots, one of which still ended up in putting range. Super confident in this mold in just a week.

I picked up a couple of these based on feel, profile and rave reviews from discmaniacs. Haven't thrown them yet but expect litigation if I don't like them.

About that flashing, has anyone done some light sanding and have you noticed any difference in flight.

I am surprised at how much I like this disc for forehand. The turn and fade are very controllable whether throwing soft or powered way up. I haven't connected with it throwing backhand, but that's probably more about my form right now, and less about the disc.
Also, I am 99% certain that the RRs received some sort of flat top treatment. The top on mine is kind of wavy like it came out of the mold, then was encouraged to shrink again.

About that flashing, has anyone done some light sanding and have you noticed any difference in flight.

I sanded mine part way, then the rest wore off naturally over the next 50 or so throws. I'm up to around 200 drives with mine and it still has a lot of stability. The early turn resembles what it was when new, but the glide continues further and the fade happens later.

I am really liking this disc. I had taken some field throws with it before getting out to the course yesterday. 2nd hole that I threw it on was an Ace!. It was a hyzer into a basket on a hillside so if it missed still would have been parked. I need to order more of these.

I am thinking about taking the PD out of the bag for a while and rocking FD-FD2-Stal for fairways and Wraith-Destroyer for my distance. Am I leaving too much of a gap without have a PD or other 9-10 speed disc?

Am I leaving too much of a gap without have a PD or other 9-10 speed disc?
Nah dude. The combo of CD3s (Wraith) and FDs kicked the PDs out of my bag. Hated to drop them because I was really invested in them, but realized they were just in a weird place with my particular distances and I could cover plenty of distance with FDs alone. It was definitely weird to take the PDs out though!

Try taking them out of the bag and see how much you miss them. I'm guessing not much...

FWIW the gospel is that the blues are the least stable. Thats what I have, and what is perfect for my average Joe arm.

my blue is flippier than any fd ive thrown and its sad. My orange is very flippy as well. not happy with the two i got if anyone wants to trade.

My pink one is stable enough that I took my TeeBird out of the bag.

(I throw Valkyries to 350 pretty reliably, just to give some sense of my armspeed.)

I can verify that blues are less stable than pinks. My blue when thrown hard will get a small turn 50% of the way through its flight and then fights back hard. My pink (deep pink color) shows no signs of turn and has a tick more fade. The blue will 100% take away shots from my FD and I already am in love with it. On touch hyzers through the woods it is a thing of beauty. The pink will see action on windier days and flex shot duties. I have trouble believing that any of these FD2s will come out "less stable" than an FD. Even my blue when given just a slight degree of hyzer barely makes it to flat before it starts to fade. These things also power down amazingly.

Latest posts