• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Feedback on 5 Basket / 9-Hole Course Design

Captain Nemo

Hello, I'm am in the process of designing a small 9-hole course for my local city park and was looking for some feedback and input.

Some quick details to help you understand the situation. The area available for use is a tad bit over 2 acres and is mostly wooded. The proposed land is adjacent to private property on two sides, a fairly large creek on the third, and city owned ball fields on the fourth. The park is rarely used (maybe 5 people a day), except for evenings in the spring when baseball is going on, and the city is on a tight budget. This is my first course design project, so I've been reading through many of the existing threads, but would like additional input for this particular situation.

After walking the the land several times and running the numbers, it just isn't large enough for a true 9-hole course and be able to maintain confidence that disc won't (rarely at least) cross over onto private property. The design I've come up with is to only install 5 baskets, but install 9-10 tees. I've read plenty of post about multi tee placements, and some about dual use of fairways, but the flight paths are somewhat different per basket, and the safety concern of two groups throwing at the same basket is limited, since I don't expect the course to be heavily played, but both of these concerns are note worthy.

Does anyone have any experience with a this method? Is this even a plausible idea?

Thank you for your time and help. It is certainly appreciated.

P.S. This course is designed as a beginner course, and the hole lengths reflect that. So, keep that in mind.

Attachments

• Course Sign 2.jpg
    Course Sign 2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Course.jpg
    Course.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 51
I think this can make it. Only suggestion would be for signs pointing players to the next correct tee pad. Only four signs needed, imo.

Looks good to me! Good luck!

I'd be a bit worried that players teeing off on 6 & 8 wouldn't be able to see players walking up the fairways of 1 & 3 respectively. How dense are the trees in between these tees? Would players teeing on 6 & 8 be able to see the other tee areas through the trees? I'm less worried about the other 2 instances of 2 tees and 1 basket. On those holes, the tees look pretty close to each other. Players ought to be able to tell if there is another group on the hole without too much trouble.

Maybe have a warning sign on each tee for the shared holes letting players know that they are sharing a fairway and to use care both throwing and walking?

I'd be a bit worried that players teeing off on 6 & 8 wouldn't be able to see players walking up the fairways of 1 & 3 respectively. How dense are the trees in between these tees? Would players teeing on 6 & 8 be able to see the other tee areas through the trees?

As of right now, the whole 2 acres is pretty dense, but when we clear for the fairways, I intend to create sight lines between all the adjacent tees, respectively.

I like it a lot! I designed a neighborhood course with 18 tees with only 3 baskets. Lots of crossing fairways of course....which cannot be done a public course. For that reason alone I like your layout. Routing and signage is so important as others point out.

It is hard to make valid suggestions without knowing the land. My only suggestion is to see if there is a way to have hole 9 end at basket 5 if possible. Depending on the trees and terrain, maybe you could even do a 2 throw hole from tee 9 (and use that same tee pad for hole 4). Introducing the concept of 2-throw (par 4) holes on an beginner course is cool in my opinion. Good luck!

:|
I like it a lot! I designed a neighborhood course with 18 tees with only 3 baskets. Lots of crossing fairways of course....which cannot be done a public course. For that reason alone I like your layout. Routing and signage is so important as others point out.

It is hard to make valid suggestions without knowing the land. My only suggestion is to see if there is a way to have hole 9 end at basket 5 if possible. Depending on the trees and terrain, maybe you could even do a 2 throw hole from tee 9 (and use that same tee pad for hole 4). Introducing the concept of 2-throw (par 4) holes on an beginner course is cool in my opinion. Good luck!

The fact the I came this close (holds thumb and finger very close together!) to playing Camden (I think I've always called it Camden in my head!); but did not quite pull it off...haunts me to this day! :|

Last edited:
I'd put 1's basket in the corner.
2's tee would go near the new 1's basket, 2's basket goes near where 7's tee is.
Drop 5's tee on the other side of that tree line and get the chainsaw out.

I'd put 1's basket in the corner.
2's tee would go near the new 1's basket, 2's basket goes near where 7's tee is.
Drop 5's tee on the other side of that tree line and get the chainsaw out.

I had thought about doing just that, but came to the conclusion that it would be better to tee from the private property line than to throw towards it, and risk people landing disc in the neighbors yard. The course certainly isn't set in stone, so I'll be sure to revisit that option.

Thanks for your comments.

I've been working on ways to reconfigure hole-9 to have it end back at the start. I was thinking about adding a 10 tee above the 5-tee, but what you're saying could be an option. Thanks for the idea, I'll look into it.

Latest posts