• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FH Drives

Do you feel like your footwork limits you a little bit? It's kind of stiff and not very fluid.

No, but I also don't feel like it adds anything. Maybe 15-20' over a standstill throw. I definately have no idea what to do wih my feet during a FH.

No, but I also don't feel like it adds anything. Maybe 15-20' over a standstill throw. I definately have no idea what to do wih my feet during a FH.

Have you messed around with a hop step? That's my choice of footwork and I can definitely crank them out there,and i feel as if when the timing is put together, it does add something. I'm a lot better at analyzing backhands than I am forehands, sorry for the useless info :|.

At 2:40 you can see a good close up of Big Jerm's footwork. It's a simple little hop x-step, and it's pretty easy to incorporate. Try it out.

That is exactly what I was referring too, forgot about that video.

Try opening up your hips as you're moving into the hit. I see most people try to throw FH's standing sideways, and that makes it an all-arm shot. It's like the difference between pitching from the stretch versus pitching with a windup.

Just by moving into it sideways and then opening your hips up, you'll get more D with less strain on the arm.

I don't have video of myself, but here's a picture that kind of shows what I'm talking about. Left toe pointed towards target, whole body opening up to square, hips rotating to add power, and at the hit, the whole front of my body will end up square to the target with my arm and the disc whipping around it.

image.jpg

I agree that your weight is too far forward too early.

I am going to disagree with McFer though and say that your hips are opening up too early. I think of throwing side arm more like a baseball swing than a baseball throw, you must use your hips to generate the power for maximum D if you want to do that without hurting your arm. If you start facing your target your hips are never actually closed.

To me it looks like your FH throw looks like a baseball player lunging for a change up. If you are not familiar with a baseball swing this robs you of all your power. I think keeping your weight back a little longer could help keep your shoulder and hips closed.

Just my 2 cents I am not an expert, but I am a FH dominant player, hope it helps.

If you start facing your target your hips are never actually closed.

Just to be clear, I start sideways (bigger D I even concentrate on getting my butt facing the basket for a fuller turn before release), and then the twist of my torso into the hit open the hips up so they're square towards the target.

Re-read your post. We are on the same page. Reading comprehension is hard sometimes. My b.

It's to tell much cause the vid is so choppy(it's the zoom) and missing several frames of the actual throw...but as you said you are definitely leaning too forward the whole throw so there's no weight transfer. You don't get into properly balanced and loaded position on your rear leg, so hips never close and then rear hip trails along for the ride of the shoulders. You are also very compressed before the backswing, should feel taller/looser and then go into more squat leading more with your caboose.

what also helps is getting an ironclad snap when you release the disc. in my personal experience, having a huge follow through only messes up my release point, but building muscle memory of wrenching my hand shut at the same point and absorbing that angular momentum into that snap helps me get more D. it also helps with control because it gives a more consistent throw, however as it also makes my forehand drives excessively torque heavy (ive managed to get my champ boss to turnover once)

Latest posts