• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Finding Perfect Approach/Putter

You might have use for a disc like a ringer, a ringer GT, or a rhyno.
They look like they'd be fade machines, but my dx rhyno was quick to beat in and flies like a shorter mako: dead straight. I liked that disc a lot and I started experimenting with Discraft's similar-feeling disc: the ringer gt. I really love the ringer gt in jawbreaker and soft X. They also fly with virtually no fade on throws between 100 and 150 feet. My zflx one does fade, and that's why I have both in my bag. Such a reliable disc to throw, and is also a bit forgiving on OAT. Anyway, I bring these discs up because they are kind of brick-like and don't glide much and you kind of always know the range you're going to get with them. If you want to "power down" a mako3 and get the same (but shorter) flight, you can throw a rhyno or ringer gt with almost the same power, but watch it die sooner.

If staying with Innova I use a Shark mold for most of my approach in Star that I had to order backups in 2019 due to the old Star at ~175 grams getting hard to find and an opp Pro. then I use a Lighting #2 Upshot in Prostyle plastic for the more standard minor US or more straight shot, that is close to either a Colt or the newer mold Bullfrog.

I use the M4 for what you're looking for, but if the Mako3 is fading out early on you, it may not be something you'll be able to correct with a disc change to be completely honest. I liked the M4 because it isn't as susceptible to OAT wander as something as neutral as the Mako3, but that means it'll likely want to fade out sooner. Maybe try it in star plastic or DX and see how it works?

Tough call. The Mako3 is pretty much the gold standard for dead-nuts neutral and "forever glidey". I mean shoot, I've thrown a champ Mako3 on Hole 15 at Magic (significant downhill) and *accidentally* threw it about 900', which may sound like a brag but it's a VERY bad thing on that hole haha

I was waiting to pick up a Fuzion Deputy to see if it would fill this role.

My interim option was to grab my most beat in Judge and it has worked so well that I haven't tried anything else.

...so it might be worth seeing what you can do with any decommissioned putters that you have sitting around.

Putter

I'm going to tell you something I recently purchased a DGA Powerdrive Gumbputt disc and I absolutely love it. It sticks the landing and not much threat to roll away from basket. Look it up and google it. Not a hard plastic almost like throwing a piece of rubber. Really flexible and catches the chains well. :D

My two official recommendations are:

Neutron Proxy max wt - very long "putter," very straight all day all distances

ESP Comet around low 170s would alternatively give you a little turn when thrown cleanly. If you think you might prefer something a little more stable, just roll max weight Z.

EDIT: However, a Dart would be really similar to a Mako3 and Stingray, after a few tree hits they turn a bit. R-Pro probably.

I'm looking for a midrange/putter that falls between a Mako3 Disc (5/5/0/0) and a Stingray Disc (4/5/-3/1)?

The Mako3 fades too early when powered down and the Stingray turns and wanders slightly too much right. Trying to find a perfect solution.

I am wondering about a Dart (3/4/0/0) or Cobra (4/4/-2/2), would one of these be a mix of both?

Thanks

Dart feels and handles a lot like shorter Mako3 for me, and the Wedge behaves a lot like a shorter Stingray. I have both of these in g-star and I love em.

They can both can go pretty far as well.

I'm going to tell you something I recently purchased a DGA Powerdrive Gumbputt disc and I absolutely love it. It sticks the landing and not much threat to roll away from basket. Look it up and google it. Not a hard plastic almost like throwing a piece of rubber. Really flexible and catches the chains well. :D

I know a guy who has the Blowfly for approach without wind or the Gumput for his main putter, high winds past 35-40 mph he uses a Zone. He is one of the guys who helped make the local club along with my dad and the only guy helped keep the club in late 2000's from stopping entirely and revoked a guy from being a holder of the money for the club due to being not bight @ss.

A disc that powers down well without fading and won't wander right when thrown with power is a nice, stable putter. I throw an aviar backhand and a Rhyno forehand for this type of shot...

Latest posts