• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finessing Faster Discs

frabs

Is anyone else more comfortable shortening up on a longer disc than throwing the shortest disc they can? Sure I can throw a mid 275', but if that 275' hole is a tight tunnel in the woods, theres a good chance I'm going to be reaching for my beat DX Eagle instead. I'll sometimes even throw this disc on holes in the 230'-240' range, which is in reach of my putter. Is it just me, or can it sometimes be better to throw a longer disc with a shortened reach back and run up, with more focus on good clean snap and putting it on the right line? I've seen huge improvements in my driving consistency and accuracy since I started reaching for the longer disc with a shorter throw.

Learn all your discs at all power levels, at all nose angles, and at all hyzer angles. Throw the disc that has the best chance with least effort for you to hit your line and stop where you want the disc to stop. Discing down is a training exercise and not a tournament strategy.

I do the same. Sometimes I'll even pull out a destroyer and throw it at 70% power for shots I could reach easily with a fairway or mid. It's all about knowing your discs' flights and choosing the best disc for the shape of the line at hand. If you are confident with it...throw it!

Yeah I think a lot of people miss this entire concept. A wraith is a perfect example of this (at least for me) I can sidearm a wraith within 100ft and be more accurate than any midrange in my bag. It also works backhand too but normally ends with too much skip. This is not the route I normally travel but I always know in the back of my mind that if no other disc can do it I can always make a wraith do it.

Throw whatever discs will get you the lowest score on the course.

It's nice to push your mids out further... but a fairway may just be easier to hit that tunnel shot with even if it's in range of your mids. As stated above, discing down is a good training tool but in a competitive setting, throw whatever you're comfortable with and is going to give you the best chance of winning.

I'm all for discing up in certain situations to make a shot more simple, but I also do my best to throw the slowest disc I can and be able to reach the basket or landing spot comfortably. For example, I can throw a Buzzz straight at a 300' wide open hole or I can throw a big spike hyzer with my Predator . However, in the woods, I would never disc up. An eagle would kick a lot further than a midrange disc if you hit a tree, and that's something that I would prefer to not have happen.

I am currently just throwing 4 discs for every shot, Surge, Gazelle, Wasp, and Wizard. I figured if I can score the same as I would without using a vast # of discs, what's the point? I use my surges for alot of shots anywhere between 425'-200' If I don't feel comfortable hitting the shot with a surge, I'll use the Gazelle, or Wasp. anything under 200' It's the wizard.

So I do use this strategy, it's always fun.

Throw whatever discs will get you the lowest score on the course.

It's nice to push your mids out further... but a fairway may just be easier to hit that tunnel shot with even if it's in range of your mids. As stated above, discing down is a good training tool but in a competitive setting, throw whatever you're comfortable with and is going to give you the best chance of winning.

I like this way of putting it a lot. Sometimes the faster disc is just easier to get the job done with.

For me, it really depends on what the hole is. If I feel the flight path of my fairway driver fits the need better then the flight path of my mid, I'll grab that fairway driver every time. I also like to power down on max distance drivers to get the flight path I could achieve with a fairway driver. It just depends on what I feel comfortable throwing that day.

I always throw the slowest disc possible because they are more accurate/easier to control. Putters are the easies, than mids and so on. I'll only throw a distance driver on a wide open long hole.

I choose to be consistent with how much power I put into the disc, much like golfers do. On a level 330' shot, I am much more accurate throwing a mid at about 85% rather than trying to "finess" something faster. On a golf course, you will see golfers hitting the shortest club they can because they are easier to control, and if you are consistent with your power, you will better know exactly how far the shot is going to go.

I don't buy that faster discs are easier to hit tight lines with. Also, powering down on a faster disc makes it fade a lot harder than it would on a full power throw, just another thing you have to concentrate on.

Consistent power brings consistent control, distance, and stability. That's why I throw almost everything 85-100%. Sure, there are select times when I'll back off, but those are exceptions to the rule.

I always throw the slowest disc possible because they are more accurate/easier to control. Putters are the easies, than mids and so on. I'll only throw a distance driver on a wide open long hole.

Drivers cut threw woods faster. You just have to be able to know how they fly.

if im trying to hit a 260ft shot i know i can get there with a putter on a full rip but why not just pull a comet out and throw it at 80%

if im trying to hit a 260ft shot i know i can get there with a putter on a full rip but why not just pull a comet out and throw it at 80%

I agree with this, because I don't usually throw anything "full rip." I use a putter/comet style smooth, slow controlled throw. When I say slowest disc possible to get to the target, I don't mean with absolute 100% power, I mean slowest possible disc using MY throw. I use finesse/line shaping discs so a full rip is very rare, and reserved only for open long holes.

I won't throw anything at 100% power unless there are no consequences like a totally open shot where placement is not an issue. But I've never played a course that offers such a shot, and probably wouldn't throw 100% any way. Throwing at 80% is about as much as I want to do.

I usually pick the slowest disc for the job though, because I find them easier to control. Throwing a putter 250 is easy because you just don't have to put much on it. Same with a Comet--low power and smoothness can easily get you 300'. But it does depend on the line too--sometimes a fairway is better for 300', if I need a big hyzer or a lower shot or there's some wind to contend with.

Some people seem to like to power down, and some find it easier to throw the slower discs. It probably just comes down to personal style.

I have a few things to add take it for what it is worth:

discing up with less power forms bad habits and sometimes you forget how to throw hard and snap.....this has happened to me when using the discing up method at a shorter course and then at a longer course I was soft tossing and not snapping my discs...it's quite embaressing and frustrating

discing up with less power also forces you to throw with less spin and the disc will not hold a line as well......discing down forces more snap and spin and the disc will hold lines more consistently

there is a time and a place for that driver skip shot on a 220 ft dogleg or that hard fading slow driver shot around a corner but ultimately if you can do the shot with a mid or a putter 9 times out of ten its the best option

I will not even get into the crazy skips, skids and rolls that occur when discing up

I often use powered down drivers instead of a mid when I want a lot of fade or need to keep shots low and play for the skip.

I am currently just throwing 4 discs for every shot, Surge, Gazelle, Wasp, and Wizard. I figured if I can score the same as I would without using a vast # of discs, what's the point? I use my surges for alot of shots anywhere between 425'-200' If I don't feel comfortable hitting the shot with a surge, I'll use the Gazelle, or Wasp. anything under 200' It's the wizard.

So I do use this strategy, it's always fun.

exactly:clap:

Latest posts