• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finnish putting game

Scarp, I was trying to adhere to the old "teach a man how to fish" edict...you're just too nice.

10 Meter Rope

How do you guys measure this out? I am in the US so not used to using meters nor do I have a measuring tape with it.

I went to the hardware store and bought 50 feet of rope, the kind used for nylon clothes lines. A standard tape measure usually has metric on one side and imperial units on the other. Just measure off one meter at a time starting at 5 meters and mark it with a sharpie or electrical tape. Then tie your rope to the pole of the basket, and the far end to a screw that you can stick in the ground. This allows you to easily rotate the markers around for a change of wind/elevation/scenery. Or if you are just wearing spots into the grass.

So is there a link to the form for uploading scores to that google doc, or is the web form supposed to auto upload them? I've been tracking mine in the original spreadsheet for the last few months. My average is 519, with a high of 677. I'm rated 867.

first time playing and this game is great! I've been in a major slump in my putting so hopefully this helps me. :thmbup:

shot 468

5m 0/0
6m 11/15 73%
7m 15/20 75%
8m 17/30 57%
9m 9/15 60%
10m 8/20 40%

I threw my best yet this weekend (456). It's been a great practice tool and has shown improvement on the course. At some point I need to find a better place to set up, though. At 8 meters, I'm about 1' downhill, 9 and 10 meters are closer to 18" down.

I really like this putting game and thanks for sharing, jyly. I took the advice of buying some rope and tagged the meter marks with electrical tape. I bent a hook for the basket end to hook to the bottom of the basket and tied a metal stick with a loop for the other end to stick in the ground. My first game was a sucky 301 but hope to improve soon.

New basket & Finnish set up.

2015_06_16_21_40_56.jpg

5m, 6m, 7m:

2015_06_16_21_40_47.jpg

Finally broke 500 today! I've been in a huge putting slump the past couple weeks. Yesterday I just decided to go out and practice putting until I could find my throw again. Played four games, all going up in score from 350 to 450. Then I went out at lunch today and got a 508. Feeling good again!

I always play this game outside on a practice basket (Mach 3) at a local course right by my work. I set up the different distances all around the basket. Some are slightly downhill, some uphill, and there are even a couple trees/bushes to use as obstacles. It's almost always windy there too, so I get a lot of head/tail/crosswind practice.

Question: are you guys jump putting from the 10m distance? Technically you're outside the circle. I've been standstill putting from there, but I definitely make more from 10m if I hop forward a little bit.

Finally broke 500 today! I've been in a huge putting slump the past couple weeks. Yesterday I just decided to go out and practice putting until I could find my throw again. Played four games, all going up in score from 350 to 450. Then I went out at lunch today and got a 508. Feeling good again!

I always play this game outside on a practice basket (Mach 3) at a local course right by my work. I set up the different distances all around the basket. Some are slightly downhill, some uphill, and there are even a couple trees/bushes to use as obstacles. It's almost always windy there too, so I get a lot of head/tail/crosswind practice.

Question: are you guys jump putting from the 10m distance? Technically you're outside the circle. I've been standstill putting from there, but I definitely make more from 10m if I hop forward a little bit.

That's awesome!

When I was playing this in the garage, I was scoring much higher than outside this summer... which was tough to accept at first but is much more realistic.

I was playing with a complete tailwind last week and the 10M was almost out of range because the tailwind would drop them so much, but I still stand still putt from that distance. When I am around 30-40 my push off my back foot is strong enough that it comes off the ground and comes back down about 12-18" forward. Front foot stays planted, and the back pushes off and lands more forward but still behind the marker. Still get enough power that way to have good upper body control. When I go to a jump putt, there's WAY less control of the motion and it's really more of a lob and hope to land close - for me.

My best putting at the 10m distance is when I take a super small hop forward, it's like a mini jump putt. When I am really jump putting from 40-50' it's much more of a lunge forward.

That little hop just seems to get my momentum going much better and I can keep the disc on a nice laser-straight line to the basket. From a standstill I need to plan for a little bit of fade and aim high/right.

Someone needs to name this game...Finnish Putting Game just doesn't have a ring or staying power. Think Gutz...Easier to say and refer to for sure. I've been wanting to challenge people in my area to play it and compare scores but so far i'm the only one in town who plays the game...but putting has been getting better!

I never thought about naming this drill since i had no clue that this would really spread anywhere.

Everyone here in finland is calling this "JYLY putting" or simply "JYLY". I think it was the current world record holder Mr Aulu who first referred to it as such, so im good with that.

I never thought about naming this drill since i had no clue that this would really spread anywhere.

Everyone here in finland is calling this "JYLY putting" or simply "JYLY". I think it was the current world record holder Mr Aulu who first referred to it as such, so im good with that.

Like "jilly" or "J" "Y" "L" "Y" ?

Played this for the first time today, it is super cool! Will be a great way keep motivated to practice.

Scored a 325 and learned two things

1) I need to be sure to bring a cloth, I think I missed some points due to wet discs from the rain overnight.

2) one of my putters flies very different out of the hand than the others. It is domey compared to the rest. Guess I need to replace it.

Finally had time to the drill again. Summer is very busy for me.

I used to be a straddle putter. The last year or so I switched to a more aggressive pitch stance. I had a bad putting weekend and switched back to straddle mid tournament. I find myself struggling to put enough on the pitch stance during a tourney with fatigue and mental issues going on, however the straddle requires that I put more on it even though the putt motion is similar, and the fly bys are not as bad.
I had originally switched to the straddle to be a more conservative putt, but I feel like I also have less variables and its working for me.

Long story short, although I felt more comfortable at longer distances not straddling, my scores in this game were as good, or better than the old putting stance. I scored 4 points lower than my best round and made %50 at 10m and %100 at 7m (which was a first)

Great putting drill! Definitely going to share this with my disc golf friends. Give JYLY and his app team all the reps! Oh wait, you can't do that here :/

I can finally make my golden retriever a multi-use tool! Tie a hook at the beginning of the rope to hook on the basket's pole and tie knots at the appropriate distances. Find some small/cheap stakes. Voila. Ready for JYLY whenever you're golfing.

Like "jilly" or "J" "Y" "L" "Y" ?

I'm pronouncing it jaɪˈlaɪˈ. Don't know if that's right or not. Maybe Finnish putting is better for us Americans :/

No new apps to my knowledge. Use the web version, it should work nicely on iphone?

Latest posts