• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fire Ants...

Several times...I'm like..what's that tingly sensation... I look down and my ankle is 100% covered with ants, can't see skin at all. Crazy... takes forever to heal. Hate the frickin things.

Sometimes small mounds are hidden in long grass. The first giveaway that you've stepped on a fire ant mound is the ground under your foot feels spongy or soft. I've gotten to where as soon as my foot starts to sink even slightly I instinctively leap to the side. There's not much of a lag time before they swarm you but you do get about a full second.

It's usually the new nests that get me---the ones that are small and still flush with the ground, before they get built up into something noticeable.

I learned the hard way to always use a stool, even for quick rounds. Also, you can shake some diatomaceous earth around the tops of your shoes and into the socks. That will hopefully at least contain them to your feet and it is totally safe for people and pets.

Bro D recently encountered with them whilst spectating at the USDGC:
Observations from the last day of USDGC:

... discovered that I was standing directly on top of a fire ant mound and went into panicky flicking them off mode, as discreetly as I could. I had to take my shoes and socks off so if you see a goofy guy in a red hat and bare feet on the side of the fairway during the lead card's final round, that was me. :eek:

Followed the next 2 holes barefoot, that got some looks.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't even realize this was a thing until I got attacked and had a bunch of welts on my ankles. You live and you learn I suppose.... lol

Reminds me of the guy in basic training from NJ who had no idea about fire ants until his shoulders and neck got attacked while we were doing sit-ups for PT at 6:30 AM. :thmbdown:

On the course, you can only watch. At home, use bait. Poison works, but the bait is literally 100%. I live in Houston. Andro. Gasoline and match works pretty well, but only if your wife doesn't see and they ain't near the house.

Here's a really interesting observation. Ten years ago, the number of fire ant piles in my yard was always greater than ten at any given time. Today, it is virtually zero. I see almost none on the course. Not zero, just way fewer. I don't think it is eradication. It could be global warming, or at least the hoax about global warming, or some other factor, but the change in piles is real. I've also seen a shift in weed types in my garden over the past ten years with different species coming and going.

I'm obsessed with knocking the top off of fire ant mounds while visiting the south. It's just unbelievable to see thousands of them poor out and move so erratically. I always think about how bad it would be if your foot was there.

I remember watching a TV story about a deer hunter who fell out of his stand and landed on a mound. If I recall correctly he was barely saved in time (Broke something and could not move)

Neat

I'm obsessed with knocking the top off of fire ant mounds while visiting the south. It's just unbelievable to see thousands of them poor out and move so erratically. I always think about how bad it would be if your foot was there.

I remember watching a TV story about a deer hunter who fell out of his stand and landed on a mound. If I recall correctly he was barely saved in time (Broke something and could not move)

Neat

There are stories, myths? about cows being killed by fire ants. There's apparently a new breed, crazy ants? coming that are supposed to be worse.

There are stories, myths? about cows being killed by fire ants. There's apparently a new breed, crazy ants? coming that are supposed to be worse.

Crazy ants don't bite to the same extent that fire ants do, and their bite isn't nearly as painful. But it is extremely difficult to eradicate their colonies because they have multiple queens and huge colonies. Once they are established in an area they seem to be everywhere, and they love getting into electrical systems and causing havoc.

Interesting that they evolved alongside fire ants and apparently have a secretion that neutralizes fire ant venom. So crazy ants can actually displace fire ants. Which is worse? Hard to know...

Among other perils, we kept getting bitten in a patch of tall grass, but could never find the nest. It seemed the ants were on the grass itself.

Except they weren't.....there was a bit of stinging nettle in there. Apparently, it uses the same formic acid that the ants use, to cause pain. (It took about 3 years for us to figure that out.)

Neat

Played Tar River DGC a few weeks ago and the open holes were absolutely covered in fire ant mounds. Three of our group had re-purposed jogging strollers it was awesome to see the result of 3 tires crushing mound after mound.

Another private course in Louisburg was having fire ant issues until til the owner poured diesel on them. He did not even light them. Fire ants must really hate diesel because they were still gone 2 weeks after the treatment.

I live in Florida and think balancing your bag on a stool works the best

On the course, you can only watch. At home, use bait. Poison works, but the bait is literally 100%. I live in Houston. Andro. Gasoline and match works pretty well, but only if your wife doesn't see and they ain't near the house.

Here's a really interesting observation. Ten years ago, the number of fire ant piles in my yard was always greater than ten at any given time. Today, it is virtually zero. I see almost none on the course. Not zero, just way fewer. I don't think it is eradication. It could be global warming, or at least the hoax about global warming, or some other factor, but the change in piles is real. I've also seen a shift in weed types in my garden over the past ten years with different species coming and going.

Along these lines, I have noticed there are less visible beds (mounds to you non-Texans) around but they seem to show up after it rains. Maybe the hoax of global warming has changed their habits to spend more time underground.

In Texas we all walk with our head down. Certainly not from being humble in general, but from being humbled by fire ants and all the other critters we have down here. It will soon be a habit.

Is that why I walk like that? On the plus side, I find lots of cool stuff on the ground.

Latest posts