• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Firebird Perfect Sidearmer?

That Chinger Guy

Bogey Member
So I decided to pick up a Champion Firebird today at a store and go try it out. Long story short, I love this disc. Are there any other good sidearm discs that compare? Just curious.

a lot of people who like the forgiving firebird also dig the faster destroyer for a bit more d.

btw loved you in Escape From New York. :clap:

back when I threw dominantly sidearm I loved the TL. Actually I still love the TL but I don't throw sidearm anymore.

from experience...

I've read that the "old skool" firebirds are different... but modern firebirds dont perform as you would like.
They throw like midrange discs when you really want/need a distance driver type performance.
I am sure that if you found an old skool firebird that had a flat top, it (probably) does perform like the predator and how most of us really want our (new) firebird to respond.

i am sure if you had the might "Arm of Thor" you could get a firebird to be amazing, but for the rest of us it really fails to meet expectations.

You can try the Banshee... It throws like an "overstable" Teebird.. Meaning, you expect it to be shorter and more controllable as its not a speed 10+ disc... and it exceeds expectations...

you can try the Predator.... My new must have disc... It throws EXACTLY how you would expect and want a firebird to throw. Basically its a valkyrie type (speed) distance driver.It throws and responds like the "bottom end" of the distance drivers.

My "Perfect" sidearmer is the wraith... BUT, its not as long as it could be... and i started a thread about it... I can say, however, for me, i can walk up to the pad and throw it, and it performs the same everytime. It doesnt really require special arm height, etc....

you can try - Xcalibur, TeeRex, Destroyer: all of these should be longer. I am currently in the "experimentation" phase. I can say that a TeeRex-x is amazing, but its too hard to find....(it's the perfect middle point between the Wraith and Teerex.... So it can handle the extra power and stay fairly straight.)

I have a champ firebird and a flick that I throw sidearm. Both great discs. I like my flick a little better because is 150gms, but the fb is still great.

Xcaliber and Predator if you like the Firebird. Possibly a Banshee, though I don't have any direct experience with it, I've had mild success with a Teebird, which would have been much better with more stability.

I throw a Pro Firebird which is a less stable than champ and even in a different mold altogether. It would probably go straighter longer for you.

So I decided to pick up a Champion Firebird today at a store and go try it out. Long story short, I love this disc. Are there any other good sidearm discs that compare? Just curious.

monster and xcal...getting faster in that order.

got a bud that side arms firebirds, destroyers, monsters and excals

crush
firebird/predator
xcal
wasp/drone

in my order of preference while on the course... not sure about distance cause my bh annies go further

i throw mostly sidearm and a Firebird was my primary disc last year but was recently replaced by a Katana.

i throw mostly sidearm and a Firebird was my primary disc last year but was recently replaced by a Katana.

How's that? Katana and Firebird are pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum. You just slammin' the nose way down on the Katana or something?

I through sidearm only occasionally and very hard... distance only. Star destroyer and Max fly the straightest and farthest for me.

Still Starfire for me, it's not too overstable/torque resistant so it keeps me honest and I can flex it a little bit.

Last edited:
Whippet, Firebird, Monster, Max from slowest to fastest for innova. All overstable and great for forehand.

I like a Beast. It performs the same if I throw it RHBH or forearm, unlike other discs that turn into rollers when I throw Forehand.

Don

the firebird loves to skip off the ground and is very consistant for me

I actually switched from a Firebird to a Star FL...it's just a tad more controllable for me.
My other favorite sidearm discs are the Surge SS, Starfire, Reaper, Vision, and TeeRex....

Latest posts