• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Firebird

Probably 280' or so? I'm honestly not sure, since I never really throw my Firebirds for max distance shots. They are utility discs for me, but I am comfortable using them on ~300' holes if the shot requires FB stability or if it is super windy.

^^^^This. I can't throw my Champion 175g Firebird too far, but I don't want to throw it far. I never load up max power on this disc because I only use it to execute a very precise shot and I want to control exactly where it's going to go. It might be my most dependable disc regarding doing what I want it to do. All that being said, it's the beefiest disc I've ever thrown aside from the Nuke OS.

I havent tried a Firebird yet but do have an Opto XXX. Is the typical 175g Champion Firebird similar in stability?

Here's an example of a firebird's abilities with no other way to the basket. RHBH.

Had to make a 90 degree turn after a skip, then go between two trees at the base of a hill, 150' away, that were 7' apart with a 5' canopy, with the closest tree actually left of the furthest from my throwing POV. From there, the basket was on a 45 degree hill about 25' up from the landing spot to hit and skip, about 10' right of the trees, allowing for the 90 degree turn.

Granted, I was 6" long and hit the far tree and saved par but the trajectory was otherwise perfect to hit metal on the second throw.

I havent tried a Firebird yet but do have an Opto XXX. Is the typical 175g Champion Firebird similar in stability?

FB probably has a bit more hook than the XXX of its a good flat Champ.

I'll second the xXx being more over stable - although from an OH perspective. The xXx does the thumber roll slower, and finishes more right (for RHOH).

I think either can be more OS than the other it just depends on the run. I'd break it down like this IMO;

Flat Champ FB, Frost XXX, Opto XXX, Domey Champ FB, Star FB, GL XXX, G* FB, DX FB

I think either can be more OS than the other it just depends on the run. I'd break it down like this IMO;

Flat Champ FB, Frost XXX, Opto XXX, Domey Champ FB, Star FB, GL XXX, G* FB, DX FB

That's good info to have. Just made a deal for a g* Firebird hoping for a more workable disc for my arm speed and this has me thinking I'm on the right track. Hope it still skips ok.

It skips if it land at a favorable angle. Too steep and it sort of skitters and to shallow and it will sit more than other FBs. I bet you will be happy with it though.

Ahhh a Fire chicken. We have to remember who molds this thing. Innova molds very like night and day. I have FAF ' s I couldn't backhand 300 even if the headwind was holding It straight (er) and a
True FX 2nd run Ce that Flys very comparable to a Orc/Thunderbird. That thing has seen 400+ a few times. Maybe 1 time by me but I like to share this freak. Innova to me is amazing because the molds can very so much but feel the same. Other go crazy trying to replace "that one"

Flat firebirds are probably the shortest disc in my bag. I only use them inside of about 275-300'. It's a great utility disc just not a distance disc for me. Thumbers, forehand touch shots, spike hyzers, rollers or any other shot needed to recover from a bad lie. Monsters are another good alternative. They are still plenty overstable, but the extra speed helps me get more distance.

I'm not saying my overhand Thumb is incredible but how does the Monster fly on a barrel roll? I've always thought monsters where aa tick faster Firebird but never thumbed one.

I wanted to say that I threw a Flat Champ Firebird today for the first time...and that thing it STUPID BEEF!

I tried to throw it off the tee with a nice flat, level throw and it turned into an instant-left-turning-hyzer that went 175' ish, this thing was showing that ( lack of ) noodle-arm power! I got the same result on the few other throws too.

Need less to say that I was always afraid to throw/try one of these things and I should have kept it that way. I cant even use it enough to be a utility disc. I have thrown a Star-Starfire further than this before!

Now I understand my place in this Disc Golf adventure! My self confessed Noodle-Arm status is Real, Noodle-Arms of the World Unite!

Last edited:
I wanted to say that I threw a Flat Champ Firebird today for the first time...and that thing it STUPID BEEF!

I tried to throw it off the tee with a nice flat, level throw and it turned into an instant-left-turning-hyzer that went 175' ish, this thing was showing that ( lack of ) noodle-arm power! I got the same result on the few other throws too.

Need less to say that I was always afraid to throw/try one of these things and I should have kept it that way. I cant even use it enough to be a utility disc. I have thrown a Star-Starfire further than this before!

Now I understand my place in this Disc Golf adventure! My self confessed Noodle-Arm status is Real, Noodle-Arms of the World Unite!

I have yet to throw mine b/c I don't really need that dose of reality right now.

What's the farthest you can throw this beast? When throwing straight and on a anhizer?
I am a noodle arm. I can rip my worn in one to a whopping... 230ish feet. :D For me, it's not for distance. I want that birdie to go 175-200 feet and dive. That is exactly what this does.

Last edited:
I have 4 in the bag right now. Two champ own FAF the other nearly for FH drives. One Beat star for BH headwinds or doglegs to 330 or so and a DX that I can turn over if I want to it's not that OS.

I always carry 2 Firebirds. One is a well seasoned Champion, the other is a lightly seasoned FAF Champ.

Beat Champion Firebird RHBH : 350ft max
FAF Champion Firebird RHBH : 275ft max
Beat Champion RHFH : 275ft max
FAF Champion Firebird RHFH : 200ft max
Overhand with either is around 200ft max

Realistically, I use both discs more often for slightly closer distances than what I max out at.

Latest posts