• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] firebird

shane8002

Bogey Member
whats the trick to throwing this disc backhand?? I have a champ 175 one and I can only throw it forehand and even then it dies off quick and takes a hard left. I know its overstable but ive thrown discs similar to it and dont have the same problem. chime in fellas

God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed.
either...

Get a lighter Firebird

or

Keep eating your Wheaties and (somehow) get the Arm of Thor.

I have a champion firebird and a champion edition firebird. The champion is much more overstable than the champion edition. The champion I use mostly for rollers and the other for pin point hyzers. Also the champion is domey and the champion edition is flatter.

Sounds like you have the same problem I have with heavy discs -- I can somewhat throw them forehand, but backhand I have to throw 150's or low 160's. If you don't have a real powerful arm (like me :)), the heavier the disc is, the more it will tail off left at the beginning of your throw -- I always have a tendency to drop my shoulder when throwing heavy discs, which takes all the distance and speed away from the toss. Recently, I have really started working on my form, using the momentum of my arm to get the disc spinning and putting more motion of my body into the throw. I was amazed -- with just a little adjustment, I get tons more distance and am able to keep the disc much flatter and keep it that way. It sounds like to me you just have too heavy of a disc -- start with something around a 150 and work on your form -- this is what I did (and do) and now practically only throw backhand because of the extra distance and control I get. I would suggest you trade for a Champ Valkryie 150 -- this is my favorite disc right now. It has the exact same ratings as that Firebird, but I bet you will find that you can throw it much straighter and much longer than that boat anchor you are throwing now. :D

Garret

I use it mainly as a situational disc for hyzer-spikes and headwind hyzers. It was also a good forehand and overhand disc. I ended up switching to a Flick because it was more forgiving of OAT with forehand shots and I could get a little more distance on the overhands.

beat that "meat" out of it. e.g. run it over with your car a couple times and it shouldn't be such a meathook anymore! or get a lighter weight, or a less overstable disc like an Eagle-X.

*disclaimer: I've never actually run my disc over with a car, but I bet it would work.

I guess it depends what you are expecting from it. If you are looking for a disc to go straight to left for a RHBH, then you have the right disc. It is perfect for hyzer bombs or skip shots. If you are looking for something to keep a straight line then you have the wrong disc. When I started over 10 years ago I was told by the pro that it was one of the more difficult discs to learn, hence why you see them less and less. However, many pros still use it like Climo and Jenkins because it is a fantastic FH disc and will rarely flip over BH unless you use some sort of uncanny torq. The CE's do hold a better line but are difficult to obtain. I would suggest a Tbird, Eagle, or Valk if you are looking for something less stable, with the Tbird being the most stable, then Eagle, then Valk.

I use Firebirds mainly for two reasons.

1) Excellent thumbers, especially a Champion 150g.

2) Hard anhyzer spikes. Throw it with everything you got high and to the left, the arcing flight will eventually shoot it across to the right but it has more than enough stability to eventually flatten out before it does anything stupid. I cannot get any other disc into this flight at that distance. Everything else either requires less power, and thus less distance, or does not flatten out when I want it to.

Everything else is situational but when I travel lighter, only 16 discs (8 drivers and 8 putters/mids), the Firebird is the only thing I carry two of. A 175g and 150g Champion.

The trick to throwing this the right way is to know what it is going to do, hyzer. Unless you got a big arm on you and can get it out there far, the disc will hyzer left, RHBH. But that is what is good about it, predictability. I have never turned one over. It will always end left for me.

You can use the firebird when you figure out what it's going to do out of your hand. Predictability...I use 2 firebirds (one beat and seasoned 11x and a newer model) both champion plastic. I love them for skip shots and pinpoint giant spike hyzers. I will also throw giant anhyzers with them over fairway trees and what not. Like others said, definitely a tougher disc to learn, but once you do, it's great...very versatile if you can handle it. Favorite driver in my bag.

They are killer as a left turning midrange upshot disc when you have trees or other hazards to negotiate with that mighty left skip.

I have even used them on 50-75 foot shots for low left skips around trees to 'guarded' baskets.

They are killer as a left turning midrange upshot disc when you have trees or other hazards to negotiate with that mighty left skip.

^^YES. For ~100' approach that has to thread a small opening and then carve hard left, I throw with significant anny release, and watch it fly straight and flex like a corkscrew, then break and fade toward the pin after the gap.

I agree with get the "arm of Thor". nice! I carry some sort of FB usually for predictability also. It's great in wind or for hard hyzers. I know those power-crushers who can throw laserbeams with 'em. I'm not one of them. They are usually the cats with the seriously quick/hard snap. Seems the "bird" throwers tend to like Tees, Fires, and Eagles. Eagle was always easiest for me being a weaker arm.

Latest posts