• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Diamond Trusted Reviewer!

I can't wait for your Canopy Tours review. I hope that the course lived up to my lofty review! I have it at #3 on my all-time favorites list.

loved it.
Greg and I are both over 350 courses played, and we both had it knocking on the door of our top ten. Its an amazing course that i need to visit again.

picture.php

Congrats to bobmcnelly whom finally got his 75th unique to hit TR Gold. I want to say he'd been waiting for at least 6 months.

Additional recent upgrades ive noticed. congrats! :clap:
DiscinOhio to Gold
Mrclc to gold
mikethegoalie to Silver
ohtobediscin to Silver
Aclay to Silver

So how do you even become a Diamond level Reviewer? I believe I seen it before but can't seem to find it. I know there is the unique review thing but I don't even know where to see how many I have. I'm also terrible with technology BTW. I'm going to play Flip City in a couple weeks and a ton there and back. Does it come quicker by reviewing more well known courses. Do I need to add more to my reviews? Just curious. I'm not as thorough as some others but I like to keep it simple. Especially for 9 holers with no tees or signs. I feel like my reviews are solid. They weren't great at first. Any suggestions are appreciated.

the reqs are here
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/faq.php?mode=show&id=7

if you keep reviewing, it's only a matter of time. definitely it helps to review well known courses, even more so when those courses are in populated areas. review courses in texas and north carolina. i'd say california too but they don't have that many courses worth traveling to :D

So how do you even become a Diamond level Reviewer? I believe I seen it before but can't seem to find it. I know there is the unique review thing but I don't even know where to see how many I have. I'm also terrible with technology BTW. I'm going to play Flip City in a couple weeks and a ton there and back. Does it come quicker by reviewing more well known courses. Do I need to add more to my reviews? Just curious. I'm not as thorough as some others but I like to keep it simple. Especially for 9 holers with no tees or signs. I feel like my reviews are solid. They weren't great at first. Any suggestions are appreciated.

You write excellent review wofhaley. I've read dozens of them having been up there to bag your region several times. You have consistent ratings, useful details and you use the entire rating spectrum. I know that if I play a course that you've given a 4 or 4.5, it's going to be an awesome course.

you need 1000 thumb-up and 200 uniques for diamond level. There use to be no way to check uniques, however now premiums (crown icon) can see who voted on their own reviews when using the desktop version of DGCR (I don't think you can see it from a phone app, or at least I don't.) Anyways, a premium could go through all there reviews and count the number of uniques. Premiums cannot not see other reviewers unique total. The only reason I know bobmcnelly is at 75, is because he just crossed into gold.

The best way for an excellent reviewer like yourself to get more uniques is to play top courses, popular courses, and courses with high DGCR played counts outside of your region. Since many of your reviews are in the same geographical area, I'd be willing to bet that you have 250 thumbs-ups from only a dozen members. Playing a course like Flip would probably get you another 5 uniques or more.

Reviewing new courses is typically a good way to get thumbs, as well.

This is true but not as true as I always hoped. The problem is that new courses often haven't generated enough interest yet. The fact is, however, that if your high quality review happens to be one of the first, it will tend to get more thumbs as the interest grows. Just don't expect to get more than one or two thumbs until months after you've reviewed a new course.

I'm not gold like you, but I'll start yakking anyway.

I think there's a lot of randomness involved, though the most important thing is volume. I'm not gold and it's mainly because I haven't written enough reviews. Nevertheless, I've reviewed enough courses (both widely known and just locally known) in different regions to know that the region makes a big difference, and that being an extreme top or extreme bottom kind of course will definitely get more votes. As far as getting unique votes goes, picking a few locally strong courses in various good regions seems like a good strategy. I currently live in the Pittsburgh area, which has that combination of quality and disc golf interest/community that a good quality review can garner some quantity votes.

Again, though, it's very random. Sometimes I'm surprised by how few votes a review gets, on what seems like a popular course in a good region. Other courses have surprised me by getting quite a few votes (for me that's something like 6 to 8) even though the course doesn't seem to have active interest, or I didn't think there was anything special about the review itself. In looking back, some of those may have included details that hadn't been mentioned before, or may have struck some kind of chord with locals.

Last edited:
Ha! These cats want us to divulge all our trade secrets!

There have been numerous posts on various threads about how to get positive votes. Truth is, there are NUMEROUS factors, and I'm too damned tired to elaborate. But if you stop to think about it for a whikle, I'm sure you'll figure a few if them out. If you want to know, look for the posts I mentioned.

But by far the most important factor is quality, objective reviews, that are well thought out,and well written. Never hurts to have some fun with it.

But it also takes patience...Rome wasn't built in a day.

Being one if the first to review a course can get you a lot thumbs, but not necessarily quick thumbs. But if the early reviews for a course a do a good job describing how it plays, they'll generate plenty of thumbs over time. Big name/popular courses tend to generate more thumbs faster.

Maybe we need a Review Technique subforum. :p

Maybe we need a Review Technique subforum. :p

It might not be a bad idea. A recipe of a good review would be interesting. The details vary significantly from reviewer to reviewer or from voter to voter, but there are definitely some things that make up a respectable and helpful review.

DGCR does seem to value a certain level of detail or even verbosity that might seem too long on other sites. If you want a quick grade on a course, go to DG scene to submit your review. But if you want to put some thought into it and provide some justification for the grade, DGCR is the forum for you.

This is true but not as true as I always hoped. The problem is that new courses often haven't generated enough interest yet. The fact is, however, that if your high quality review happens to be one of the first, it will tend to get more thumbs as the interest grows. Just don't expect to get more than one or two thumbs until months after you've reviewed a new course.

I'm not gold like you, but I'll start yakking anyway.

I think there's a lot of randomness involved, though the most important thing is volume. I'm not gold and it's mainly because I haven't written enough reviews. Nevertheless, I've reviewed enough courses (both widely known and just locally known) in different regions to know that the region makes a big difference, and that being an extreme top or extreme bottom kind of course will definitely get more votes. As far as getting unique votes goes, picking a few locally strong courses in various good regions seems like a good strategy. I currently live in the Pittsburgh area, which has that combination of quality and disc golf interest/community that a good quality review can garner some quantity votes.

Again, though, it's very random. Sometimes I'm surprised by how few votes a review gets, on what seems like a popular course in a good region. Other courses have surprised me by getting quite a few votes (for me that's something like 6 to 8) even though the course doesn't seem to have active interest, or I didn't think there was anything special about the review itself. In looking back, some of those may have included details that hadn't been mentioned before, or may have struck some kind of chord with locals.

The only reason you are still just a lowly silver like myself is because you are more of a course bagger than a reviewer. If you were a true thumb whore, you would review all the courses that you have played. I have a few that I can't recall enough of to write reviews, so I understand if you can't remember some of them. The reviews that you do write are high quality, I don't care what Bogey says.:D:p

Thanks for the responses everyone. Well I got a long ways to go then with it being 1000 helpful votes. I'm even gonna bother counting unique votes until I get WAY closer to 1000. I think I'm at 550 somethingish. I just got curious the other day and checked and seen I'm on the first page of most reviews written which shocked me. I'm not looking for secrets or anything, I was just curious what the criteria was actually. I feel like I've been gold for awhile. Anyway as far as popular course reviews go, that can be hit or miss in some respects. I rated Blue Ribbon Pines and Visionquest pretty highly and got some of my most mediocre thumbs. Other than that my reviews of "destination" courses have all fared pretty well. I do tend to review a lot of courses with not many reviews or only really old ones too so that doesn't help at all. Also Wellsbranch I appreciate the compliment and I've read a ton of your reviews which are great. It seems like there's a new one on the main page every other day. Keep it up. Same for the Valkyrie Kid but he's like The review Yoda. Next level stuff.

See How Trusted Reviewers,... Review!

Many reviewers have provided a great deal of information about how they review in their profile.

One stage in my process is here: Olorin's review criteria

For all you newcomers who want to know how to write a quality review, read Olorin's reviews. He is DGCR's wise sage, having done many in depth reviews before the site even existed. His voice was influential in the early days of the site, and helped many of us who've been on the site from early on. His rating scale and breakdown is a template for things you should look for while playing a course. You start noticing those things while playing, then the reviewing process is much easier.

Some of the back with forth Dave242 and The Prerube were classics. Prerube had memorized all of the words in Daves repetitive framework because it was in every one of Dave's reviews. Heck, I think I might have accidentally memorized it for a short period. Hahaha.

Dave242 got me because he would review courses when the baskets were pulled.
"HOW THE #&%$ DO YOU PLAY AND REVIEW A COURSE WITH NO BASKETS":wall:

DGCR does seem to value a certain level of detail or even verbosity that might seem too long on other sites. If you want a quick grade on a course, go to DG scene to submit your review. But if you want to put some thought into it and provide some justification for the grade, DGCR is the forum for you.

a) Guilty as charged. :eek:
b) I don't necessarily mind the shortness of reviews on DG Scene, but people lose all objectivity on there. Any course that's reasonably decent gets an B+.
With so many courses bunched up in the A- to A+ range, and so little substance to the actual reviews, there's really no way differentiate between destination worthy courses and courses that are really little more than "not bad."
I wonder how bad a course would have to be to get a grade of C- on that site.