• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Diamond Trusted Reviewer!

Reviewers have it sooooo much easier these days. Any semi-decent review seemingly gets an easy 10+ positive votes these days. Back in the day, we were lucky to get four or five. Case on point - there's a recent review for a course just outside Charlotte. It got 13 votes in two days. That same course has multiple reviews more than a decade old that all have five or less votes. So, who has it harder getting votes?

Overall vote counts are up, sure, but that doesn't mean they are all unique voters. I bet I could guess at least 10 out of those 13 voters on that review if it was a decent review.

I have 896 thumbs ups on my reviews. 267 of those are from Wellsbranch250, dreadlock86, wolfhaley, lee76007, and Shadrach3 - just 5 users. If I add the next 10 biggest givers, then 62% of all of my votes are accounted for.

If you write decent reviews, you will get some love from a small but mighty group of 20-25 users on here that either vote on just about every review, or at least one of your reviews once in a while (all of which is much appreciated, to be clear). If you want unique votes, it takes really traveling around a substantial amount and hitting very well known courses to have a chance at unique votes after you write more than 10-15 reviews. Harmony Bends and Eagles Crossing have netted me 15 additional unique voters. The 25 reviews between those two courses and my Cincinnati reviews? 9. I'm sure other people have similar stats.

So numbers might be up from before, but that doesn't mean they're all unique voters. Anyone that wants Diamond will need to go well above 1,000 votes to get there.

Just look at Shadrach. He's probably the best contributor to this site the past 2 years on a review count stand point. 230 reviews across Colorado, Texas, The Southwest, The Northeast, one in California, and many popular courses like Beaver Ranch, Idlewild, Harmony, Harmon Hills, WR Jackson, and Hornets Nest. dude has 2,600 votes, and still doesn't have 250 unique voters. MrFrosty needed to review basically the East half of the country to get there.

So we have it easier these days to get more votes, but not the unique votes to achieve Diamond. I'd love to see more consistent newer voters on this site and see it grow more. As for thinking current reviewers have it easy, I'm not sure who that opinion or comment is supposed to serve. You sound like an old man on his porch rocking chair ready with a hose to scare any kids that touch your grass.

Last edited:
Probably the wrong thread to post this particular opinion in, but I don't think the recognition for good reviews is as important as the good reviews themselves. Sure, the recognition (in the form of pixels by your username and a mini) is nice, but I think adding to the body of quality reviews should be the ultimate goal.

So, IMO DGCraig's griping about how the kids nowadays don't have to walk uphill both ways in the snow to get thumbs is missing the point. I also feel basically the same way about campaigns to get a particular reviewer additional thumbs/uniques. While I'm sure well intentioned, these pleas for thumbs are IMO also missing the point.

I didn't stop writing reviews because I had no chance of reaching diamond. I stopped because I switched jobs and don't have time to write them on the clock like I used to.:p

I think adding to the body of quality reviews should be the ultimate goal.

I agree.
This is in fact, the main reason I thumb-up a lot of reviews or spotlight reviewers. To me, voting on a good review or spot lighting a reviewer, is my way of saying thank you for their contributions. I believe/hope that this positive feedback will encourage good reviewers to continue to review courses. Thus hopefully adding to the body of quality reviews.

I hope to see a few new Chicago area reviews this summer Countchunkula. :)

Goals Change

I think my goals have changed, and recently at that.

A couple of years ago as my reviewing picked up steam and I achieved the bronze TR, it was like a drug. I wanted to get more votes, more uniques, the next level.

As 2021 plowed through, I wasn't sure Gold TR was even going to happen. I was disappointed, but it didn't deter me from continuing to add reviews. In the end, sometime in December, I passed the 90 mark for uniques.

Now, knowing what that took and the status of how reviews are received, I'm not looking for Diamond to happen. My ability to get to courses is limited by distance. There are a LARGE number of courses for me to get to in my home state of Iowa. However, I know uniques are scarce for me as I hit these 4, 5, 6, 9, 12 hole courses that generate little buzz. The "big dog" courses are a fair drive for me, and unless work takes me there, I'm probably not making more than a day trip anywhere. I unfortunately got rained out of hitting Harmony Bends this week (work took me within 20 miles, but the rain gods were not with me:wall:).

Now, my goal is to not only play as many courses as I can get to, but make sure they have as much info, pictures, maps as I can find or generate AND get them (what I hope is) a decent review. If that pans out to a Diamond TR, awesome. If not, I hope that I've helped anyone who wants to throw in the state of Iowa find a course to play that works for them. (Still have work to do in SE, West Central and a little North) I've got reviews in on 162 of the 211 Iowa courses I've played (with a few in the hopper, from the last couple of weeks.)

I feel like I'm spinning around in a revolving door and can't get out, lol. 20-30 of us blowing each other's horns won't get it done so I have decided to thumb up even more reviews, even the Udisc drive-bys as long as they aren't derogatory or violate the rules. We need to get more folks reviewing more so we need to be more accomodating. Trusted reviewers will get there and give it a "proper" review eventually unless it's already been done and everyone's review counts towards the overall score. Most of us probably started out writing short crappy reviews. I myself had friends downvote some of my earlier reviews, and rightfully so. But now I run into random people on courses and they have said that they use my reviews (and wellsbranch250 of course) to decide where to play at in Florida.

Question: I know that we can see who has the most courses played in individual states but what about the most courses reviewed in each state?

Overall vote counts are up, sure, but that doesn't mean they are all unique voters. I bet I could guess at least 10 out of those 13 voters on that review if it was a decent review.

I have 896 thumbs ups on my reviews. 267 of those are from Wellsbranch250, dreadlock86, wolfhaley, lee76007, and Shadrach3 - just 5 users. If I add the next 10 biggest givers, then 62% of all of my votes are accounted for.

If you write decent reviews, you will get some love from a small but mighty group of 20-25 users on here that either vote on just about every review, or at least one of your reviews once in a while (all of which is much appreciated, to be clear). If you want unique votes, it takes really traveling around a substantial amount and hitting very well known courses to have a chance at unique votes after you write more than 10-15 reviews. Harmony Bends and Eagles Crossing have netted me 15 additional unique voters. The 25 reviews between those two courses and my Cincinnati reviews? 9. I'm sure other people have similar stats.

So numbers might be up from before, but that doesn't mean they're all unique voters. Anyone that wants Diamond will need to go well above 1,000 votes to get there.

Just look at Shadrach. He's probably the best contributor to this site the past 2 years on a review count stand point. 230 reviews across Colorado, Texas, The Southwest, The Northeast, one in California, and many popular courses like Beaver Ranch, Idlewild, Harmony, Harmon Hills, WR Jackson, and Hornets Nest. dude has 2,600 votes, and still doesn't have 250 unique voters. MrFrosty needed to review basically the East half of the country to get there.

So we have it easier these days to get more votes, but not the unique votes to achieve Diamond. I'd love to see more consistent newer voters on this site and see it grow more. As for thinking current reviewers have it easy, I'm not sure who that opinion or comment is supposed to serve. You sound like an old man on his porch rocking chair ready with a hose to scare any kids that touch your grass.

When Tim started displaying who voted on your reviews as a feature, just out of curiosity (and because it's a fairly small number), I took a look at who was thumbing me down. I found it amusing.

Honestly can't imagine tallying how many helpful votes I've gotten by DGCR member. That sounds exhausting.

When Tim started displaying who voted on your reviews as a feature, just out of curiosity (and because it's a fairly small number), I took a look at who was thumbing me down. I found it amusing.

Honestly can't imagine tallying how many helpful votes I've gotten by DGCR member. That sounds exhausting.

I started doing it early so it's easy to keep up with - I'm pretty sure I was procrastinating at work when I thought to start.

I started doing it early so it's easy to keep up with - I'm pretty sure I was procrastinating at work when I thought to start.

After FINALLY upgrading to Premium, I went through and counted my Voters. Well, not just counted them, I listed them in the Excel file I keep for DG stuff. Good thing about Excel is that if I start keying in a name that is already listed, then it autofills the name, so I know its already in my list.
That took a little while, probably a couple of hours (broken up over a few sessions) to go through my nearly 200 reviews. But, I can never get a true count of my Uniques, users can go cast votes on my reviews at any time, and I never know which reviews are voted on after that initial count.

If I see a review posted on a course I have reviewed, I'll go to that course, find mine and check the voters, haven't found any new ones yet! :\

It sure would be nice to be able to see our number of Unique voters, not for gambling purposes, for entertainment only! :D Of course, that could be discouraging too. :popcorn:

Reviewers have it sooooo much easier these days. Any semi-decent review seemingly gets an easy 10+ positive votes these days. Back in the day, we were lucky to get four or five. Case on point - there's a recent review for a course just outside Charlotte. It got 13 votes in two days. That same course has multiple reviews more than a decade old that all have five or less votes. So, who has it harder getting votes?

Easier to get votes, yes. Easier to get Diamond, no. I think I have the fewest votes/review of the diamond reviewers but got a lot of different voters. There was definitely more overall site traffic back then. Now your review will sit on the front page for awhile and the usual suspects all vote but it's the same people over and over.

Congrats to aclay for joining the 1,000 thumb club!

Thanks. I'm sure I'm a long way from the unique votes to reach Diamond TR status, but 1,000 thumbs up feels good. Special thanks to wellsbranch250, who gave me really good advice a few years ago as I really started to get more active on the site and as a reviewer.

Oh look, another one: congrats to DFrah for joint the 1,000 thumb club!

Thank you! It's kind of hard to believe! Thanks to all of you who have thumbed up one or more of my reviews along the way. And special thanks to the several of you who reached out via PM to chat about common courses played, recommend your local courses, or otherwise encourage me. :D

Thank you! It's kind of hard to believe! Thanks to all of you who have thumbed up one or more of my reviews along the way...
DFrah,

First, congratulations on getting 1000+ votes! You are averaging 10.7 Yes votes per review. That's outstanding. Even more importantly (to me) your HTN ratio is 1014:4 or 99.6% Yes votes. That is among the Best of the Best on DGCR! Well done, sir.

I've been a follower of your reviews for a long time, so keep up the good work.

I'm DGCR #74, but I noticed something I've never seen on DGCR until today. You are the first person I've ever seen with 1000 Yes votes that is still a Silver level TR. This is by no means a knock on you because it obviously means that you lack the unique votes. Where are those Unique voters?? Your excellent reviews are well worth checking out.

DFrah,
I'm DGCR #74, but I noticed something I've never seen on DGCR until today. You are the first person I've ever seen with 1000 Yes votes that is still a Silver level TR. This is by no means a knock on you because it obviously means that you lack the unique votes. Where are those Unique voters?? Your excellent reviews are well worth checking out.

Knobby (if i recall correctly) was also at silver when he reached a 1000.

Latest posts