• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First official Tourney

I'm not sure if it's a rule, but definitely an etiquette thing. Nobody WANTS to keep score, so just try to split it evenly amongst the flight.

Its Gator Time

It's too late for your tourney but I read a review on the Gator in Disc Golf Review. It stood out as a easy fix for my suffering mid-range game and I found it to work out exactly as the guy said for me too.

"The best way I can explain it is like this: I try to imagine throwing a ball, or rock, or something with no glide, toward the basket. To me, a midrange with a lot of glide will tend to carry too far beyond the basket, and will probably skip 10-20 feet past where it initally hits the ground. I just throw the gator exactly how hard I think I should throw a ball, and the distance is almost always perfect"

Word. Gator is money. The (Beadless) Star Gators are the way to go, easy to judge, easy to release SA or FH. I carry two, in case I lose one.

Thanks

I appreciate the advice. I may look into the gator after this tourny. For mid-range I typical throw the Discraft Buzzz.

I like that disc, it tends to be over-stable enough that I can just push it where I want it to go, the only problem I've had recently is just judging the distance, and that translating into throwing the proper 'throw'.

Actually a lot of my disc's are starting to behave differently for me over the last month or so. This is not really due to the disc's being worn in, so much as it is my form.

I started working on my long distance throwing about a month ago, a few things clicked and I've added about 30ft more distance on a consistent basis, the only problem is that I've started using that form for my throws that don't really require that much power.

Meaning - I use to take a 1 step style throwing approach. I could throw the disc wherever I wanted with tons of consistency. The problem was I could not do this and throw past 260ft. So I went to work on my distance. I can now hit over 300 with a decent amount of consistency, the problem is now I do the 'x' step for everything.

I need to actually stop over-thinking this. I need to just go to a field, or my local course where I know there are tight fairways and just practice my shots.

I honestly feel like this is all mental - almost like I am psyching myself out. 2 weeks ago I played an amazing round out at one of the courses this tourny is at (Valley Springs) - my round of 18 had 7 birdies (I think) it just felt so good. But since then I've hit tree after tree after tree. I call it a rut. I took a week off, did not think about disc golf. Went back out and played a decent round, nothing breath taking, I shot a +2 on the same course.

I think at this point I know the shots that I have, I don't need to start messing with that. I just need to work on playing smart, not over-thinking this and spend some time working on my putting.

If I do those things, and just go out and have fun, I think it will all come together with a great outcome no matter what my placing.

I like to stand still on anything inside of 150 or 175 because it is more about feel than it is about distance. I adjust the disc used to accomodate for the appropriate distance instead of throwing harder or softer. I only use the xstep on my drives. That has helped me a lot

Just reading this has helped me realized how much I wish I had those questions when I first played my first PDGA tournament back in January. Hopefully it will help out this weekend.. :) (Playing CSI (Cool Shoezs Invitational) at SeaTac Disc Golf Course, Sea Tac Washington.)

i avoid the scorecard if i can in tourneys, even though it might be a rule i HAVE to keep score?...looking at the card only makes ya think of what coulda been when you should concentrate on the next shot. always check the scorecard over for adding mistakes after the round..a mistake can be very costly

I'm not sure if it's a rule, but definitely an etiquette thing. Nobody WANTS to keep score, so just try to split it evenly amongst the flight.

PDGA Rule 804.03 Scoring
A. The player listed first on the scorecard(s) bears primary responsibility for picking up the group's scorecard(s), although any player may deliver it (them) to the first player. Players in the group shall rotate the scorekeeping responsibility proportionally, unless a player or a scorekeeper volunteers to score keep more and this is acceptable to all members of the group.

Definitely check your score at least twice and then have someone else cross check it because...

PDGA Rule 804.03 Scoring
G. After the scorecard is turned in, the total score as recorded shall stand with no appeal, except for the following circumstances:
(2) If it is determined that the total score was incorrectly recorded, either by an error on a hole score or by an error in totaling the hole scores, including omission of the total score, the director shall add two penalty throws to the correct total score.

I love keeping score, just thought I would share. I also keep score for every round that I play though. Old habits from ball golf to be sure. It also allows me to track stats and what not on my own and here with the super cool DGCR Scorebook tracking tools.

keeping score

I'm not really worried about keeping score. I track all of my rounds already - and so keeping score for a group of 4 should not pose a problem. I like the idea of rotating it around so that each person can do it, this keeps it honest and it does not force one person to have the added responsibility of keeping up with something the entire time.

I've already looked at the groupings - I'm guessing they will group by pdga rating, as I do not have one, I suspect to be in the lowest group. That being said - I am not overly worried about that, or the score keeping.

I went and played the course/tee's that we will play for round 1, yesterday. I did not play very well, but considering it was the first time I had played that course in over 6 months, I was not to broken up by this. I was mainly going and looking for windows and throwing lanes. I ended up shooting a 60, which is pretty horrible IMO. Ideally I'd like to be in the low 50's (no higher than 52) for each of these courses.

I did notice that both courses in this Tourny are using the old school Mach 2 baskets, this is not a big deal except they are a bit more shallow than I am use to (I typically play with DiscCatcher baskets) - all in all, it just means I need to focus on the putting some this week.

The first course is SUPER short, really big on tight windows, and control shots. Not the best course for me right now since my control seems to be slipping. Oh well, practice practice practice :)

I've already looked at the groupings - I'm guessing they will group by pdga rating, as I do not have one, I suspect to be in the lowest group. That being said - I am not overly worried about that, or the score keeping.

Groupings per the PDGA Competition Manual:

1.6. Grouping and Sectioning
B. All players within a division for the first round should be grouped via two methods:

(1) Random grouping; players within a division may be randomly grouped for the first round and grouped by cumulative score for each round there after.

(2) Player Rating grouping; players within a division may use player rating to set first round groups. Highest rated player starting on the lowest number hole, the second highest rated player starting on the following
hole, etc. This process would continue until all starting holes have been filled.

The most common first round method I've seen is an alphabetical-by-name listing.

ERic

Some tips I would advise about keeping score.

Do NOT take scores on the fly while walking to the next hole. Either do it right after everyone has holed out, or at the next holes tee box (i.e. make sure the whole group is together and within earshot of one another). The latter is often better because it allows the group behind you to tee off and makes it easier to figure the next hole's order. OTOH, if someone had a difficult hole, the former might be better because its easier to look at the hole and point to where their shots landed and figure in the penalty strokes (if applicable).

Its during that walk that someone will wander off to go number 1 in the woods, or to their car to get a new disc, towel, or a drink, or go chat with a friend playing on another card, and signals will get crossed. One time, I had an inattentive scorekeeper somehow turn my '2' into a '4' (well, at least I think he was inattentive, and not trying to pencil whip me).

Also when its your turn to take the group's scores, make sure you verbally announce to your group aloud what you got so they know. Too often, I just see scorekeepers write their score down silently.

Last edited:
kunipshunfit- I'm playing the Bull City this weekend too, also my first tourney and I've also only been playing about a year. The only difference is these are my home courses, but if you're playing in the lowest division there is nothing wrong with a 60 on white tees at valley. And from the description of your own game it sounds like you're better than me, except maybe upshots...

We should try to meet at the tourney- I just cut my hair as close as possible with clippers, I have a long goatee, and I will be wearing blue pants with a towel hanging from the front. Come find me- we can have a beer and share a smoke, and maybe I can give you some pointers on the course. Plus, I know most of the organizers, so if you have questions or concerns I should be able to help you talk to someone official.

I'll also be playing a couple more practice rounds this week, so let me know if you want to try to meet for one of those. And don't forget, the baskets on some of the holes at valley will be moved for the tourney, so you might want to try to get a Friday round in.

great!

Kerplunk - If you wanna try to get a round in anytime - just let me know. I'll see if I can send a private message on here and maybe we can meet up (don't feel like spamming the boards with that).

Oh - and that 60, that was on the blue of cornwallis. that was the course I had not played in 6 months. It's so tight, it's harder for me because lately my control has gone to crap.

I did not even think about the fact they would be changing baskets for the tourny - I figured they'd stay in the position they are in, but tomorrow does start the even months.

The main concerns I have at Valley Springs are the 2 baskets, just making sure I know which i'm throwing at.

I will try to shoot you that message now, maybe we can meet out there and throw a round or two before (as practice).

so tomorrow is D-Day

I went out with Kerplunk (who is a cool mo'fo and shot quite a bit better than I!) today and got in 2 final practice rounds.

Bad News - I shot a horrid 60 again at Cornwallis, and managed to shoot a +2 at Valley Springs. Ewww

Good News - Valley Springs yielded 4 birdies, 1 horrible hole with a 5 of all things (this is good because it won't happen again) - and the best thing of all, my drives seemed to have much more control today.

So all of that being said - I'm going to go grab some dinner with the g/f, kick up my feet and remember to have some fun tomorrow.

I'm actually going to update my scores/placing here (even if I get last place). just for the sake of memories :)

Anyway - here's hoping I play well and throw nice straight shots (3-4 Ace's would not hurt either! :) ).

You never know, Aces come in bunches. I hit one in my first tournament and I was the second guy to do it that day. Talked with the TD and they hadn't had an Ace in a tourney in a couple of years. Pretty crazy. I hope that my loss of control helps you gain even more. Can you give it back when you are done though?

Update Rd1 and Rd2

Ok, so now it's time for an update.

Rd 1 - Cornwallis Blues (longs) - My best score ever on this course is a 60, I don't really play this course often (2x ever before this tourney and one of those was yesterday before the tourney). My score for today was a 59, nothing at all impressive, but i definitely had more control over my drives. My putting on the other hand decided to take the day off.

Scores
---------
--------------------------
Overall - nothing bad for my level - the best score of the day (from my group at least) was from a guy in my group - he played decently and shot a 53 (-1) He had very solid drives, but the main thing for him was his consistency. So a brief summary, after round 1.

Leader 53 - Me 59 (down 6 off the leader)

Rd 2 - Valley Springs Whites (middle tee's). My best score ever on this course was a -3 (51), This happened when my putting was definitely ON. Today was not that day. I ended up shooting a 58 (+4). I missed putts that I should not have missed, the real killer was my run on holes 2/6/7/9. All of those should have been 1 stroke better (the one on hole 9 was a complete b.s. shot, I routinely throw a 3 on that.) That being said, in the best case scenario (which obviously rarely happens) - I would have gotten those 4 back (possibly 5) and been 0, -1. However this is not the case. Oh well. I really can't complain, my drives have been my main problem, and today they were definitely on.

Scores below
-------------------
--------------------

So now for a summary - the leader of my division shot a mind blowing 48! (-6) - I shot a 58, puts me 10 back from the leader in this round. I'm roughly 15 strokes off the leaders pace, with a hard day tomorrow.

So - lets stop here and talk about this 48 at Valley Springs White. Guess who threw it - KERPLUNK! He was beaming! Guy should change his name to 'The Bird-man!'.

Great round Kerplunk - and congrats (you have to be in 1st place in the tourney at this point!). For those playing along, after round 1, kerplunk was in the top 4 (4th place to be exact). I believe he shot a 53/56 - somewhere in there. Kuddo's to him.

Overall - I'm having fun, playing with good people, and most of all throwing my drives correctly (which is nice to see again).

Anyway tomorrow is a whole new set of challenges, Valley Springs Blues (OMG hard) to start the day followed by Valley Springs Whites + Foor More, and those 4 extra holes are killers! Par on the VS Blues = 58, and Par on the VS Whites + Foor More = 69.

Here is hoping I shoot well.

Man, sounds great!

I'm playing my first tournament next month and I am very excited =D

I'm a very casual player but I have been out practicing every day possible.

Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks for the kind words kunip. I actually shot a 57 on that first round, not great considering it is my home course. The first round could flip the whole board tomorrow, not to mention the fore moor in the second round. I believe you should be near the middle of the pack right now, so a couple of solid rounds tomorrow will have you sitting pretty. I heard they didn't post the scores after the round today, which is super lame.

kunip- i'll come down and play a round with you at cedar hills soon so you can have your revenge

but they did post them on the pdga website :)

And you are in 1st place...by 4 strokes. Great job. I'm tied with 3 others for 12th, 12 strokes off your blazing pace.

Here are your PDGA rated rounds for the first 2 courses.
57 - 879
48 - 975

Your right, this morning's round from the blue tee's will change things. I'm hoping to come out of these blue tee's with a 65ish (as close to 60 as possible) - but we will see.

And i'll def take you up on the offer for Cedar hills :)

And the WINNER is....

KERPLUNK! He won the tourney - I am pretty sure he won by 9 strokes. Out of a field of 22. Sadly I finished 12th (of 22).

Round 1 (day 2) - Valley Springs Blues.

I sucked...me and the tree's were friends. VS Blue is difficult on the best of days, this round was easily one of my worst. Total Score = 73. Bleh. I was hoping for a 65ish round.

Round 2 (day 2) - Valley Springs White - Plus Foor More.
Par = 69
Me = 74.

All in all not the performance I was hoping for. Through 18 I was 3 over (57) - However I started on hole 13, and started out with 4,4,4,4,4,6. Not a good way to start the round. Hole 13 and 18 are the hardest on the course from the Blue tee's. I had a legit shot at going 4,3,4,4,4,5 - which would have saved 2 strokes. On the front 9, I shot a 5 on hole 1. To those who know hole 1 - they will laugh along with me, this sucked. This is an easy 3 opp, and half the time can be a decent 2. I sorta sucked it up a bit.

Anyway - that's it for this round of updates. I'm now slightly sick (summer cold, head-cold). Completely exhausted but had a great time and met some really cool people.

All in all - I think i'll keep playing these tournaments.

Congrats to KERPLUNK on a well played tourney! BAGGER! :)

Latest posts