• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Round of 2018

I'm not about to disc golf in temps that are below 40 or if there is any snow on the ground. Right now we're living through the heart of Canada's gift to the midwestern U.S., ice cold air (is it ever warm in Canada?), and there seems to be no end to it in sight so it'll probably be a couple of months yet for the first 2018 rounds to be thrown around here. When you live in the midwest part of the country your season for doing much of anything outdoors in decent temps is extremely short. Mid November to late March, especially, is generally worthless for trying to get outdoors during that time. When it isn't absolutely freezing outside then it is generally rainy and muddy. Must explain why most of the really better players at disc golf (especially pro-level) are from the western part of the country. They have a MUCH longer playing season out west compared to the rest of the country.

I used to feel this way. Took me a while, but finally I got into winter DG. Not saying I play as well, or as often as I do from spring through fall (although fewer hours of daylight has something to do with that), but I still get out there and enjoy my game. You just layer up, and equip yourself accordingly. It helps me "embrace winter."

Mind you, I spent the first 23 yrs of my life in Miami, and another 8 yrs in Palm Beach. My whole definition of "cold" completely changed when I moved to Michigan.

True story (FL boy moves to MI):
Me: "What's this?" holds up plastic object
Fiancee: "Oh, that's an ice scraper."
Me: "What do you mean 'an ice scraper'?"
Fiancee: "When it's cold outside, you use it to scrape the ice & snow off your windshield."
Me: "GET OUTTA HERE!!??" You mean ice actually forms on your windshield up here?
Fiancee: laughs

I was completely ignorant of what life is like when the temp doesn't get above freezing for weeks or months at a time. The next few days, I'm out there scraping the ice off all the cars... my future inlaws thought that was such a nice gesture on my part, but to be quite honest, it was a novelty to me. I'd never heard of such a thing.

Finally got my first round in this year at Brahan Spring Park (well 14 holes). I normally wouldn't play in 35 degree weather but this is the warmest its been in a week. My wife told me that Alabama doesn't get much colder than Florida. That's some bs.

Played on 1/1/18 in 30 degree weather (in Houston, that might as well be -30) and got my first ace of the year!

X-Line P2 on 169' hole 7 @ Bear Branch in The Woodlands. Then ended with a turkey - back to back 50'-ish jump putts on 16 and 17, then parked 18.

Hopefully a sign of things to come

Finally got my first round in this year at Brahan Spring Park (well 14 holes). I normally wouldn't play in 35 degree weather but this is the warmest its been in a week. My wife told me that Alabama doesn't get much colder than Florida. That's some bs.

Bonus: Alabama is hotter and more humid than Florida in the summer!

Finally got'r done today, +3 at Dolese OG. Only the second time I've played in the last month due to illness and freezingness. Decent round for being pretty rusty.

Hoping my MVP Particles show up tomorrow. Wanna play with them this weekend with nice weather on the way.

Oh what I wouldn't do for a nice 35 degree afternoon right now!

I haven't played or thrown in two weeks!
It's minus -5 with 20mph winds as I type this!
So much for those mild winter forecasts that I heard about in the fall!

I played a doubles round at Bird's Ruins on New Year's Day with a group of friends. It was frigid, to say the least. I dressed appropriately and played decent considering how cold it was (and didn't break any discs which is always a plus)

Wednesday afternoon was sunny and in the 20s with NO WIND. Just a bit of powder, not enough to lose discs in. Had the whole park to myself. Drives and putts were as awful as usual, but approaches were unusually on target. Most fun I've had all year.

I played on New Year's Day at a private course near Madison, in like -15 wind chill. It was ok all things considered. I think I was like +4. Once I began to feel my toes again after a climb on hole 9 I felt much better.

I don't play at all when it gets below 45*. There's just nothing fun about it. I've got to wait out the weather a bit and I'm in the middle of a putter change so my first actual round may not happen for at least a month or longer.

I don't play at all when it gets below 45*. There's just nothing fun about it. I've got to wait out the weather a bit and I'm in the middle of a putter change so my first actual round may not happen for at least a month or longer.

Lol below 45??? I consider that warm LOL

I've played maybe 10-15 rounds since the temp dropped to between -10 and roughly 10 degrees. The biggest benefit I found is that I have really learned to focus on slow and smooth and pulling on a straight line. I've also found myself being way more consistent and throwing nearly as far. Yesterday I played in about 0 degrees with the wind chill and shot what I would normally shoot in good weather and that included 3 slide away putts from the snow and ice

I totally agree with you. Kind of. I don't play in shorts at all when it gets below 45.

First round of the year was mostly positive for me. Played a course I had never played before with a buddy. It's a pretty unique course compared to what else we have in the area so that led to some interesting lines/decisions which is always fun.

My score overall wasn't great but there were a few tricky holes that I played really well so I try to just focus on that.

On the downside, I lost my favorite disc and after about 15 minutes of me and my buddy looking, as well as another group who was passing through who helped for a few minutes, we decided to leave it behind. Been staring at my phone for a couple days now hoping someone returns it.

Took advantage of near-record high temperatures (57F today in Dayton) to hit up Belmont. Shot a 59, just two off my all-time best there. Would have tied it but I somehow missed a 15' death putt and had it roll 40 feet away down a hill for a nice birdogie.

What this guy said! 45 is barely "brisk" in my world lol

epic weather for here in Nebraska for sure. finally got out wednesday when it was in the 50's. played 36, 18 with my 85 yo dad. dad sunk a sweet 40+ foot putt. I played par and under with a bag of different discs I haven't used in at least 3 months. good times!

Latest posts