• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First tournament coming up. Any advice?

Also, if you are really interested in scoring well it helps to play the course beforehand and actually bring a small pad of paper and take notes for each hole. I will usually note which disc I should drive with and areas where I would prefer to be or not to be- for example: "Star Leopard, left is better than right" or "steep hill ~25 ft behind basket."

i did this except I watched tourney footage on youtube. i don't know if it helped my scores - I had played the course before but not for a while - but it gave me confidence when I stepped to the tee. Looked at my notes, grabbed a disc, and just threw it. No overthinking it.

I only post this as these images remind me of two of the guys I saw at the first sanctioned tournament I ever played in 2006. Loosen up before the tournament by playing some vintage video games and catch a ball game later to relax.

Attachments

• jorts1.jpg
    jorts1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 57
  • jorts17.jpg
    jorts17.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 52
i did this except I watched tourney footage on youtube. i don't know if it helped my scores - I had played the course before but not for a while - but it gave me confidence when I stepped to the tee. Looked at my notes, grabbed a disc, and just threw it. No overthinking it.

Exactly. Sometimes pressure leads to bad decisions in tournaments, so better to have already made that decision for yourself before you even step up to the hole.

I will say that doing it in person is even better, as it gives you a great chance to scope out the hole from different perspectives. But I like that you did it on YouTube since I assume you couldn't get out to the course, that is very creative and something I probably wouldn't have thought of. :thmbup:

Alot of these things are already said, but :

Get a good nights rest, start hydrating the day/night before, and breakfast is key. I think these 3 things are biggest.

Bring plenty of water, a couple minis, a towel or 2, spare socks/shoes/shirt(s) if you can, and a few extra backup discs in case you lose one.

Quick, easy snacks are good. Bananas, those apple sauce squeeze pouches, carrot sticks, jerky, granola, etc. Stuff that you can pop in your mouth and easily eat between holes that doesn't leave a mess. Letting your blood sugar drop too far makes you make poor decisions mentally and physically.

Get up early enough that you can do whatever you need to do in the morning, eat, and get to the course at least a half hour before you need to be. You can get your registration out of the way (your TD will appreciate this) and have a minute to relax and focus before you play. There's nothing worse than running up last minute and having to jump right in.

As far as prepping in advance, I would just say play the course at least once and don't play the day before (unless its putting practice), and have your gear laid out and ready the night before.

Have fun!

Last edited:
The other thing I would add is to take the shots you are most comfortable with, and that have the highest percentage to succeed. Examine all of your options, and throw confidently based on your decision.

Quick, easy snacks are good. Bananas, those apple sauce squeeze pouches, carrot sticks, jerky, granola, etc. Stuff that you can pop in your mouth and easily eat between holes that doesn't leave a mess.

And that doesn't make your hand greasy.

Can't emphasize enough, make sure you poop before the first round.

At the risk of sending this thread to the trash ...

A big poop the day before can also satisfy this requirement. But a good one before you leave home, plus a secondary one either on the way to the course or at the course is also beneficial.

Make sure you carry the soft stuff or wipes because you don't want to be uncomfortable when the round starts.

I also recommend knowing WHERE you want to poop before the need actually arises. A Dunkin Donuts is my preferred choice because they are usually single-person occupancy bathrooms.

For God's sake don't forget your putters. I have seen it happen more than once. Kid packs all his gear in the vehicle and decides the evening/night before to do some practice putting so he gets his putters out of the car and then never puts them back.
Don't worry about what every one else is throwing. If you normally throw a nice easy fairway driver and everyone else is throwing mids or putters resist the urge to "man up" and throw what you know.

I don't know if this brings here or the stupid pictures thread

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1444847477551.jpg
    FB_IMG_1444847477551.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 47
I'll be playing my first tournament as well in November. A little nervous, but I've been told Rec is more laid back about rules. I've read the first 3 sections of the handbook, but it's different to actually experience something vs. reading. So much will be going through my mind.

Hey thanks for the advice! I played intermediate. I placed 4th in a field of 18. Played on the lead card final round and had an absolute blast. Will definitely be playing more tournaments in the future!

I also won a ctp comp in round and won a sweet deco dye suspect and some other apparel.

Thanks again

One happy DGer

Latest posts