• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Tournament

Ezekiel

Hey everyone!

I had the honor to finally play in my first tournament last weekend(NYS championship), and i gotta say i had a blast! I played in the intermediate division and placed 12th.

Jamesville Round 1 - 53
Jamesville Round 2 - 64
Oxbow Round 3 - 60
Oxbow Final 9 - 30

After the first round i was sitting happy in 2nd, but i kind of threw it away that horrid second round.

How do you think i did for my first tournament, and does anyone have any stories of their first one?

How many people played in the Final 9? I have only seen a final 9 for the top 3 to 5 people in Open and Advanced divisions.

Welcome to the world of competitive play! It is a totally different world, isn't it? Playing with so many other people who are really into it can be invigorating! I think playing competitively makes you appreciate the game more, learn more about the rules, improves your play and makes you play all your rounds a less casual. Now play one more and go pro!!! (kj)

Yes, tournament play really makes the game so much better. and Talbot, it was a little different and everyone played the final 9. It was weird but still pretty cool i guess.

Congrats! That's a big step, and one that I have yet to take.

Were you nervous? Were the people you played with better or worse players than you expected? (in general) Were you worried about violating some obscure rule the whole time, or was it pretty chill?

Sorry for all the random questions. I'm trying to work up the stones to play in a tourney some day. :)

My first tourney round I shot horrible with an 80 where my best score before was a 57 usually around low 60s though. Did slightly better the second round with a 72. I made myself do better the next tourney cause I didn't want to be on that DFL card again especially with this one guy that annoyed the hell out me and wouldn't shut up and throw as he was causing backups on the tee.

Very nice job! You did well.

I'll make others feel better about playing their first tournaments...

My first tourney I played Rec and scored a 78 and 86.. I placed last (out of about 30) and was 13 strokes behind 2nd to last.
My second tourney I played Intermediate and scored 75 and 72.. I placed last (out of about 30) and was 3 strokes behind 2nd to last.

My league average is 64. These are all different courses so it's all relative but that gives you an idea. I just haven't got it together in a tourney yet. I also rarely score below 60 on any course and have been playing for 10 years. :)

There is a bunch of head game involved in tournament play. Staying cool and focused is rough in that situation. I think that is sometimes the hardest part to over come and what surprises the rookie the most.

Congrats! That's a big step, and one that I have yet to take.

Were you nervous? Were the people you played with better or worse players than you expected? (in general) Were you worried about violating some obscure rule the whole time, or was it pretty chill?

Sorry for all the random questions. I'm trying to work up the stones to play in a tourney some day. :)

I was not nervous until practice before the first round where i was throwing complete garbage(it got better luckily).

The players in intermediate were about how i expected them to be, some having some rough shots and some throwing some really nice shots.

The people in my groups were pretty chill about the rules, the occasional reminder here and there. I was pretty good about my rules because i didn't want to get struck with a penalty.

Just don't be nervous and go play a nice round of disc golf at a tournament. Its a great time!

Latest posts