• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Tourney. Suggestions for a noob?

Get plenty of rest, eat a good breakfast and arrive a little early to warm up and do some stretches. Play YOUR game and play the course. Don't worry about finishing first, because your main goal of your first tournament should be is to have fun (if you have to high of expectations, your playing in the wrong division. I would even suggest playing in the lowest possible division [and cream your opponents] . since you don't have a PDGA rating yet).

Sandbaggers need to die.

Don't Choke

Maybe the MOST important thing mentioned!

Played my first tourney Saturday, and tee 1, a hole I can shoot two in ALL the time, I three putted for a four. Such a diff style of playing. Took me a while to adjust.

Things I noticed:

1. not as laid back as playing with friends
2. have to keep in mind to play YOUR game and not what's happening in your small group
3. focus focus focus
4. not a time to try new things

..and with that, after only playing disc golf since June, I came in fourth in the advance division and shot a -6 total (pro par) for both rounds earning $48 in disc golf equipment, not bad...AND my friend got his first ace ever in the practice round. A fun...LONG day.

Best story,
I was shooting a -5 going into 18 on my first round. Ten feet from the basket after a great drive. Half the tournament people walking up watching me. My birdie putt hits the basket and rolls, and rolls, and rolls....down hill about 90 feet away then against the wind. A two turned into a five. It's still giving me nightmares.

Thanks for all the advice. Spot on.

have fun, bring extra drinks/smokes/beer/a hot 18-year old in a short skirt to cheer you on (or distract your opponents), make a couple new friends.

i haven't played in any tourneys yet, but that's the plan i have for when i do.

I want to say thanks for all of these tips also. I'm trying out a smaller one, the cross course challenge in Orlando, and some doubles play at the same course before the tourney. Hopefully I can play well. Bringing the girlfriend in a mini skirt, great idea redarmy.

I'm thinking of getting into a tourney...
Go for it! In the past year I've played 19 tournaments, most sanctioned, some not; and six minis. Only once did I have a bad experience. Most of them have been great times and I've met a lot of new friends that way.

ERic

Best story,
I was shooting a -5 going into 18 on my first round. Ten feet from the basket after a great drive. Half the tournament people walking up watching me. My birdie putt hits the basket and rolls, and rolls, and rolls....down hill about 90 feet away then against the wind. A two turned into a five. It's still giving me nightmares.

That's why they call those tournament rolls.

Thanks for all of these posts. I'm entering my first tournament this Sunday - nervous as hell, and I've been practicing all week to the point that I can't even remember how to throw a disc. I think I've ruined my game. haha. ok, seriously, I have.

Thanks for this, too, Eric:

These documents might be a good read before playing.
PDGA2007rulebook.pdf
08CompetitionManual.pdf

... and watch the falling putts inside 10m.

ERic

Thanks for all of these posts. I'm entering my first tournament this Sunday - nervous as hell, and I've been practicing all week to the point that I can't even remember how to throw a disc. I think I've ruined my game. haha. ok, seriously, I have.

Thanks for this, too, Eric:
You're welcome and good luck! Just relax, go out and have fun. It's not significantly different from the way you normally play.

And for anyone else out there with new Tourney questions, I thought I'd add the PDGA rules for doubles too:
http://www.pdga.com/rules/rules-for-doubles

ERic

prepare for the weather, bug spray, sunscreen, extra clothes/socks/shoes (dew even on dry days will get you wet) I use an umbrella more for shade than rain protection in the hotter months, & to protect my bag from snow in the winter!

don't get drunk the night before. don't stay out until 3:00 a.m. when the tournament starts at 8. and don't blame the hangover and lack of sleep.

i've scanned the pdga rulebook you linked to, but have seen nothing of this.

what's the story?

ugh, stupid 5 minute rule....

i found the falling putt thing, nevermind.

also: good god! i can't play with that many rules.

You'll definitely want a chair if the tournament is more than a couple of rounds. As far as placing well, don't take any risks...play par golf and only go for the birdies when you know you can keep it close if you miss. Don't let bad throws get in your head...I've seen guys fall apart because of a bad throw or two. I would have recommended signing up for the intermediate division for your first tournie to build some confidence. You can always play up, but once you get a rating you can't play down.
Good luck.

Latest posts