• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First try dying discs: Marble and Galaxy techniques

treesypeasy

7D074751-E438-401A-A159-27873AF2AB44.jpg

0A13D8DC-6146-4836-9350-B8DBE5A116B3.jpg

EB46558F-0530-487C-92B7-531A068CA597.jpg

I made the stencils using contact paper and cut them out by hand and with a ruler.

Details for Marble Technique:
I used blue IDye Poly poured over plastic wrap in the bottoms of a big plastic salad bowl.
I used 1/2 tsp of powdered dye to 1/2 a pint of warm water.
I put in a tiny bit of acetone and heated the mixture up in the microwave for ~45 seconds.
I poured most of the mixture into the bowl and then pushed down the disc- the exact amount is less important then the liquid coming right up to the edge of the disc once weights are applied. I had to remove a little of the liquid dye actually (I used a turkey baster).

I left it for 24 hours in a warm spot.

Notes: I wish I used a little less dye but I am happy with how it came out.
This was an essential tutorial for me: https://youtu.be/SbOrpIPXMc4
Daddy Delp Disc Golf on YouTube. He puts a ton of work into his channel and definitely deserves a follow if you're into this kind of stuff.

Details for Galaxy Technique:
I used Blue and Red IDye Poly dripped onto a bed of generic shampoo.
I used the same mixture amounts as above.
I tried to drip the blue and red in a pattern but ended up just having little pools all over the shampoo and used a toothpick to make patterns and even out the dye so it wasn't pooled too much anywhere. I added more shampoo in some places and used the toothpick to drag that in swirls as well so there was so negative space in the design.

I left it for 24 hours in a warm spot

Notes: It smells like shampoo. Which I knew would happen but still makes me laugh

The dye itself turned out awesome.

Personally, I don't care for the masking job although the pink disc isn't too bad. Just my opinion though.

Good work.