• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fix my bag

Dr. Bogey

Birdie Member
Vitals
Experience: I played for the first time 5 years ago and started playing seriously about 3 years ago.
Throwing style: RHBH, with maybe a couple RHFH shots per round
Distance (avg/max, very rough estimates): Truth 230/260, Valkyrie 260/300

Putters and mids
I'm open to suggestions, but I'm perfectly satisfied with this part of my setup.
174 Zero Hard Pure (putting putter)
167 DX Aviar (used for upshots only)
173 Pro-D Buzzz (beat, pretty understable)
179 Lucid Truth (go-to mid, very stable)

Drivers
This is where I'd really like feedback. I feel like there's overlap and maybe a couple of holes here.
171 Pro-D X-Clone (very beat, a fair bit of turn but still some solid fade)
172 DX Banshee (headwind/utility disc)
167 Star Valkyrie (go-to driver)
175 Champ Beast (thrown when I need a little turn and dependable fade)
173 ESP Avenger SS (left-to-right driver)
DX Valk/Pro-D Avenger SS (super-beat rollers; I bag one or the other, they seem interchangeable)
144 Blizzard Destroyer (too fast for me, but sometimes I can uncork a nice FH with it)

Discs I own but don't usually bag
Buzzz GT
fresh Pro-D Buzzz
DX Shark
Champ Monarch
Drivers I don't have the arm for: Crush, Slayer, Vulcan
Recent purchases: Striker, Volt (was shopping for a Teebird, ended up with these 'cuz the Striker was cheap and the Volt looked cool; planning to bag at least one)

I'm mostly looking to reduce overlap and fill holes, not to replace discs I already have with potentially better ones that would fill the same slot. In other words, maybe a Roc would be better than my Truth; I'll keep that in mind, but I won't be shopping for a Roc anytime soon.

I'd be interested in filling any empty slots I have with some Prodigy discs, since GGGT has some good deals on Prodigy x-outs right now. F3, maybe?

Speak to me, people!

It seems like there is a hole in your fairway drivers between what sounds like an understable Cyclone and the fairly overstable Banshee. Could be worth getting a fresh Cyclone or a Teebird or Gazelle to go there.

Also I will say I have only thrown one Beast but I started out with Valkyries. It seems like those two would overlap a lot.

May want to consider a slow utility disc as well, if looking at Prodigy, an A1 or A2. The most popular in that category are the Zone and Gator.

It seems like there is a hole in your fairway drivers between what sounds like an understable Cyclone and the fairly overstable Banshee. Could be worth getting a fresh Cyclone or a Teebird or Gazelle to go there.
I was hoping that the Striker and/or Volt could fill this slot. Are they gonna be too fast, or have too much turn?

I just played my first round with the Striker and Volt, driving with one or the other on almost every hole. I was diggin' the Volt...until I lost it in the woods on hole 15. :wall: Looked for it for a long time, couldn't find it. So please don't tell me how much I was gonna love my new Volt. (I'm cautiously optimistic, though, because I tend to get back the discs I loose at that course.)

The Striker is kinda beefy when thrown flat, but holds an anny line surprisingly well before coming back. I'll have to throw it some more, but I could maybe see it both filling the stable fairway slot and doing the stuff I want the Beast to do that my Valk doesn't, while being more suitable for my arm speed than the Beast is. Promising.

I liked the Volt well enough that I got another one, and got a good deal on a Gauntlet and an Inspire while I was at it. I appreciate the Gauntlet's extra glide compared with the Pure and Aviar on longer putts. It gives me a little extra confidence outside the circle, and for now it's kicked the Aviar out of the bag. I'm trying the Inspire in place of both the old X-Clone and the ESP Avenger SS, and I'm liking it so far.

So here's the revised bag—

Putters and mids
174 Zero Hard Pure (putting inside the circle)
174 Zero Medium Gauntlet (upshots, putting outside the circle)
173 Pro-D Buzzz (beat, pretty understable)
179 Lucid Truth (go-to mid, very stable)

Drivers
162 Proton Inspire (understable fairway)
172 DX Banshee (headwind/utility disc)
173 Opto Striker (stable, point-and-shoot on pretty much any line; I'm lovin' this one)
175 Neutron Volt, battling with my Star Valk for a bag slot
DX Valk/Pro-D Avenger SS (super-beat rollers; I bag one or the other, they seem interchangeable)

A year later, I have a lot more confidence in my bag. My distance has improved to 275/340 with my Valkyrie. I decided that the Gauntlet's extra glide is even better inside the circle than out, so it and the Pure swapped places. I might carry a few other discs occasionally, but this is my core bag:

Putters
174 Zero Medium Gauntlet. Putting.
174 Zero Hard Pure. Main approach disc.
173 BT Hard Harp. OS approach disc. Thanks to ilmcgee for suggesting this type of disc.
158 Lightning Upshot. Lid stuff.

Mids
179 Lucid Warrant. Turnovers, hyzer flips, and no-fade straight shots.
179 Lucid Truth. Workhorse mid.
180 750 M1. Stuff my Harp can't reach.

Drivers
167 Star Valkyrie. S-shots and hyzer flips.
163 DX Valkyrie. My flippier Valk.
172 DX Valkyrie. Beat roller.
170 Proton Volt. Workhorse stable/OS driver.
157 Opto Air Saint Pro. Currently fresh with the same stablility as my Volt. I'd like to season it so it slots between the Volt and the Star Valk.
167 Big Z Predator. Big headwinds, flex shots, and utility.