• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

flashing.....

It's the extra piece of plastic left over from the molding of the disc, usually on the rim. It's usually trimmed off. Discs with flashing, in addition to being uncomfortable to hold, tend to act more overstable than they should.

A bit off subject but do you know if having extra plastic at the nipple on the bottom of the disc effects the disc flight? Many of my Lat 64 disc have good size nipples sticking down and I haven't done anything to them yet.

It's the extra piece of plastic left over from the molding of the disc, usually on the rim. It's usually trimmed off. Discs with flashing, in addition to being uncomfortable to hold, tend to act more overstable than they should.

how can you remove the flashing. i have it on some of mine and i heard if you dont do it right with an xacto knife it will dig into the disc and make a divit in the bottom rim

how can you remove the flashing. i have it on some of mine and i heard if you dont do it right with an xacto knife it will dig into the disc and make a divit in the bottom rim

Some light sanding or even rubbing it lightly on pavement should clear it up pretty good.

Some light sanding or even rubbing it lightly on pavement should clear it up pretty good.

i know if you sand the rim it will make the disc unuseable in tourneys and stuff(not worried about that). is it true that if you sand the bottom rim that it will make an overstable disc more understable?

i kno if you sand the rim it will make the disc unuseable in tourneys and stuff(not worried about that). is it true that if you sand the bottom rim that it will make an overstable disc more understable?

Not sure about it making disc more understable. But sanding the disc to fix scuffs and molding imperfections is completely legal. Your best bet to make something more understable legally is to just keep throwing thumbs and spike hyzers with it on grass. Eventually is should beat in without any tree damage.

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

All I can suggest is throw something that has the flight characteristics you want or during your next round after your initial throw toss the disc you want to beat in for every shot, even putts (those changes do some damage too). Depending on the course that should 54+ tosses of the disc right there.

that would be my whole bad because all my discs are 8 or better and they are more overstable than i like but i know when they break in and get a lirrle more "floppy" and used they will be just right...just a matter of time

Flash (it's what the industry calls it, not flashing) on the bottom of the disc/rim artificially raises the parting line (like beads do) and causes overstability. Recommended ways of removing it are playing a few rounds, sanding it and, if you're seriously skilled, cutting it with a knife. It's not against the rules, since the flash isn't really supposed to be a part of the disc. Getting rid of it will make discs fly more understable. Be careful you don't sand away the rim itself, that would be illegal.

Other than getting rid of the flash and just playing, you can practice thumbers and rollers if you want to make a disc more understable.

Oh, and the nipple would have to be really huge to affect anything.

To repeat and expand on some of the posts.
Light sanding is legal.
I got some of the flashing of my Vulcan by rubbing it on the sidewalk (lightly), because no sandpaper was available.
Some sticklers will say that any use outside of a normal round is illegal, but skipping a disc off a sidewalk or throwing it deliberately into trees or brick walls or throwing a roller on pavement will all beat in a disc very quickly.
What I've begun doing is using DX and Pro plastic more. It beats in quickly and is easy to replace.

Just a little sandpaper will smooth out even the toughest flash (opto imo) in a minute or two. Take your time at first so you don't scratch up anything unintentionally.

Deflashing ain't the panacea for overstability though. Unless they're brand new, it'll probably have worn down naturally in a couple rounds. The only discs I regularly deflash prior to play are my FHers since they can be especially brutal on your finger.
Depending on what you're throwing at the moment, I expect slower discs that will perform at their numbers are the key. Leopards (people like em in Pro) are great.

okay well if you find a way to make a disc understable(that doesnt take a week) please let me know

Drive your disc into a concrete wall repeatedly, like in a basement. If its a smooth wall, you won't see any damage on the disc. I'm not really sure if it works, but its fun as hell. I tried to do it to a Spirit and its still an overstable brick.

Latest posts