• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] flat top firebird

datch

Bogey Member
I always hate starting new threads due to being prerubed my first thread so i searched and couldnt find one... but....

has anyone threw the new champion flattop firebirds?!? i got one with my funny money cash at CCR this weekend and they are so super overstable... compared to my 12x it is like night and day i can keep my 12x going pretty straight till the end, but this thing just hooks... cant wait for hurricane force headwinds to throw this things :p

so like i said anyone else try one?

I like them, I use firebirds for those silly overstable type shots, if I need something to shape a line I'm reaching for a different disc anyway. I had been throwing an 11x or a champ glo from last year, it's nice to be able to pick up a few backups for stock price.

Yuuuup. Flat FBs are very overstable. Domey 12x Firebirds fly pretty damn straight for most of their flight, which is not what Firebirds are supposed to do.

Rest assured, there are other threads like this!

Here is the first thread, if you care.

My buddy just bought one of these, and yeah, it is super duper beefy. Not like those domey ones from last year, that's for DAMN sure!

I was given a kc firebird but the words are completely worn off and I have no idea how many times champ it is. I love it and use it as an overstable disc. Here's a pic of the rim. Maybe someone will know.

IMAG0051.jpg

I'm using a flat DX firebird. I mainly use it for FH shots. Since I mainly throw BH, I only use FH for shots I nee to go a certain way, so I kinda want it to hook pretty sharply. I'm still very much a noob, so the disc works really well for me.

cant wait for hurricane force headwinds to throw this things :p

Trust me, its just as stable in the strongest of winds. I have one in my bag just for those ridiculous overstable shots or big skips. And I just got another this weekend :D

I went out to the field to throw right before a big storm one day, wind had to be close to 40-50mph. I threw all my stable stuff: SDS's, Nuke OS, my glow firebird, etc. Well needless to say everything but the firebird turned over into a roller. The firebird held a hyzer :thmbup:

These new 12x's are very much like the 1st run Champ Glo FB's.
I took the champ Glo out and put my new 12x in.
Good to use for thumbers that just go left.

Did you get one of the glassy/pearly ones? Those looked super good, but I ended up grabbing that really dull blue one from the bins. The grip is amazing and it's beastly overstable.

I always hate starting new threads due to being prerubed my first thread so i searched and couldnt find one... but....

has anyone threw the new champion flattop firebirds?!? i got one with my funny money cash at CCR this weekend and they are so super overstable... compared to my 12x it is like night and day i can keep my 12x going pretty straight till the end, but this thing just hooks... cant wait for hurricane force headwinds to throw this things :p

Prerubed. (Don't worry about it).

I haven't tried the 12x ones yet. By DX FB is OS enough as it is.

I've got one in my bag along with a standard 12x that's not flat. The flat one is monster overstable but fits that slot very well. I use it for spike hyzers, skip shots, massive winds, and overhands. Does those jobs really well.

Did you get one of the glassy/pearly ones? Those looked super good, but I ended up grabbing that really dull blue one from the bins. The grip is amazing and it's beastly overstable.

i got a glassy clear one with a yin-yan dye on it haha

I'm using a flat DX firebird. I mainly use it for FH shots. Since I mainly throw BH, I only use FH for shots I nee to go a certain way, so I kinda want it to hook pretty sharply. I'm still very much a noob, so the disc works really well for me.

careful not to throw anhyzer with overstables for more distance... get more arm speed before you screw up your technique.

Also, how much more overstable is a flat top than any other firebird?

Lots. Totally different discs. I flick flat-top glow FBs all the time, but they're meaty. Great for S shots and skip-ace attempts. Also great thumbed discs. Start eating your Wheaties, though!

careful not to throw anhyzer with overstables for more distance... get more arm speed before you screw up your technique.

I'll keep that in mind. My Hyzer/Anhyzer control is pretty crude on my FH at this point. I'm really only using FH for shots I need to fade right. I'm far more consistent with my aim with BH. For some reason the firebird worked really well with my fh, far better than most anything else I threw. I tend to get a lot of wobble (OAT?) with most of my discs. It'd prob a case of a disc hiding bad form.

If I wanted a disc with so much fade that I'd worry about it coming back and taking my head off I'd buy a XXX. That side photo of the flat top Firebird looks a lot like that disc. I'll stick with my Pred and the Firebird I already have, thank you.