• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Splice

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Anyone throw the Splice by Discmania? Seems to be a newer model disc. Here are my thoughts of it... Neo plastic, 175g. Plastic is nice. Shiny, smooth, and a little gummy.

The Splice seems to be very similar to a Firebird based on flight numbers (9, 3, 0, 4). It has a very flat top and a deep rim with a sharp bottom edge.

Based on what I saw of the Splice, this thing is very, very overstable. It wants to fade right away, and it fades HARD. Every time I threw the Splice it smashed down almost completely vertical on its rim. Distance wasn't very good with the Splice due to poor glide and brute overstability. Head to head against a Firebird the Splice was shorter, had less glide, and a much sooner, harder fade. The Splice does work well sidearm. The deep rim provides good grip and consistent releases. I was able to throw a few nice, hooking shots with the Splice sidearm.

Splice: 9, 2, +1, 5. These are the numbers I'd give the Splice I threw yesterday. Glide is poor, and the disc wants to fade right away. The Splice dumps HARD, and lands vertical. I'd put the Splice between a Firebird and a Tilt. The Splice penetrates a little better than the Tilt, and gets better distance. The Splice would be a good disc for anyone who thinks Firebirds aren't overstable enough.

Would I bag this disc? No. I didn't hate the Splice, but it's just too short and too overstable for anything I'd want a disc like this for. Firebird is fine for me. The Splice is a somewhat better version of the Tilt, and it comes in premium plastic.

Splice: 9, 2, +1, 5. These are the numbers I'd give the Splice I threw yesterday. Glide is poor, and the disc wants to fade right away. The Splice dumps HARD, and lands vertical. I'd put the Splice between a Firebird and a Tilt. The Splice penetrates a little better than the Tilt, and gets better distance. The Splice would be a good disc for anyone who thinks Firebirds aren't overstable enough.

yup, this is my experience after having a splice in the bag for a year! IMO it can also get some MONSTER skips which positions itself perfectly for my wooded course bag. sometimes you gotta go straight for a bit and then hook hard and the splice seems to be perfect for that. I also love the feel of the disc in the hand for some reason... I think it's a combo of the plastic, rim width, and flat top

yup, this is my experience after having a splice in the bag for a year! IMO it can also get some MONSTER skips which positions itself perfectly for my wooded course bag. sometimes you gotta go straight for a bit and then hook hard and the splice seems to be perfect for that. I also love the feel of the disc in the hand for some reason... I think it's a combo of the plastic, rim width, and flat top

I liked the hand feel as well. The plastic is a little gummy and grippy. I could make the Splice work on the course if I had to, but I still feel the Firebird's a better option.

I got one and it's good, feels like an old FAF Firebird if you close your eyes but it's possible that it's even a touch thinner.

It's more OS than my Flares though, which is hard to do and I could never get it much beyond 350. Maybe 375 once on a skip. It's like they took the principal behind the Tilt and made it useable.

I honestly like it and 3-4 years ago I'd be bagging it, but I don't feel the need to throw as hard as I can on every single shot anymore.

If I ever go play in Kansas or somewhere else renowned for wind I'll bring it though.

I bought one a month ago - do not spend your money on it.

My local course is long and windy, so it is all about crushing on overstable discs - this is too overstable, too low glide, it will not be bagged.

I think a lot of the over-stability and low glide is driven by how soft the plastic is, if it were a firmer run, it would probably be more playable.

Instead, I recommend a beefy Firebird, Draco, FD3, Scepter, etc.

I bought one a month ago - do not spend your money on it.

My local course is long and windy, so it is all about crushing on overstable discs - this is too overstable, too low glide, it will not be bagged.

I think a lot of the over-stability and low glide is driven by how soft the plastic is, if it were a firmer run, it would probably be more playable.

Instead, I recommend a beefy Firebird, Draco, FD3, Scepter, etc.

This was pretty much my thinking as well. The Splice is just too overstable and short for me. I liked the Splice more for sidearms than backhands.

It's more of an user problem than the disc in my opinion. Splice holds a special place in my bag that no other disc can replicate. Only Tilt would be another option. With Splice I can create shapes that no other disc can. Very tight s-shapes and vertical spike hyzers without drift withouth needing grenade grip. It is very rarely needed but when it is, I'm glad I have it.

You are just expecting very different disc. Splice is not supposed to fly and glide, that is not what it is for.
Don't compare it to totally different discs. I bag a firebird and it is for totally different shot.

In my opinion, you just don't know how to use it.

In my opinion, you just don't know how to use it.

Or perhaps the expectation would be that it would be more than special case disc?

I understand your point, but I'd be surprised if someone who provided such an incisive review wasn't familiar with corner-case utility discs.

That's my takeaway--Splice is too OS for FH and BH general work, especially given the numbers and perception of the disc going in as a 'Firebird' class disc.

And that's what his review provided for me. If I wasn't already in bed with a Stego for utility/"tight-S" work, bagging a super-OS Draco, and familiar with a Tilt, I'd give it a look.

if you thought the Splice was overstable try it in Meta plastic to confirm it is stupidly overstable

Or perhaps the expectation would be that it would be more than special case disc?

I understand your point, but I'd be surprised if someone who provided such an incisive review wasn't familiar with corner-case utility discs.

That's my takeaway--Splice is too OS for FH and BH general work, especially given the numbers and perception of the disc going in as a 'Firebird' class disc.

And that's what his review provided for me. If I wasn't already in bed with a Stego for utility/"tight-S" work, bagging a super-OS Draco, and familiar with a Tilt, I'd give it a look.

+1

I think many people got and expected something more like a firebird.....however I guess when Eagle said it was quite overstable even for him us normal humans should rethink what this disc was.

However I think it atleast is a better utility disc than the Tilt so it still wasnt a total **** purchase but it is nothing any normal human will be throwing all that much

discmania rep told me it was more like a stiff flat top firebird in regards to the stability not so much your stock or sexton firebird.

Played league yesterday in 25-30 mph steady winds with gusts of up to 50. I watched beefy Firebirds turn over, hyzerflipped an Ape and pulled out a beefy Champ Boss if I wanted a flippy distance line.

Sure wish I'd had a Splice, that is all.

Probably meaningless but if anyone wants to see it here is a profile shot of a Splice compared to a new, flattish champion Firebird. The Firebird is on the right.

979abe075f436d8939ff8068d4d7cdb6.jpg