• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Flat Topped?

DeadEye

Double Eagle Member
I wanted to get some more educated opinions on the pros/cons of flat topping discs. About a month ago I flat topped a DX Roc, and from my experiences it seemed to make it a touch faster, a touch more stable, and a little less glide.

Does anyone else have any experience with flat topping rocs? Or the differences you've noticed between domey and flat rocs?

Seems like the Roc purists aren't into the flat-topped ones for the reasons you mentioned, but the people who throw flat-topped Ching Rocs throw them religiously. In general flat vs. dome has the effects that you mentioned, but with some molds it seems like that goes out the window. I know I personally prefer flatter Buzzzes, but I like a little bit of dome in the MD2 and Fuses I currently throw. I also have small hands, so flatter discs fit generally better for me.

Isn't this flat-topping alteration illegal if you intend to use them in PDGA events?

Isn't this flat-topping alteration illegal if you intend to use them in PDGA events?

I haven't played in any PDGA events so I'm not the best person to respond but that's how I understood the rules. My question is, with all the variance between runs, how would anybody know?

Also, couldn't this happen just from leaving your discs in the car during a hot day?

Flat Rocs, in my experience, are straighter and have less fade than a good domey Roc. They beat into the most Buzzz-like roc I've ever thrown. Thrown hard and flat and they go straight and finish straight.

I've flat topped discs before. I did it to some www Sentinels to make them more overstable. I've also popped the top on some flat Comets. I'd throw them in sanctioned competition without thinking twice. Post production modifications were really meant to cover removing material from the disc i.e. shaving the disc or adding material to the disc like adding weight tape to a disc. Simply using hot water to pop a dome up or down might technically break the rule in a very broad interpretation, but it doesn't break the spirit of the rule IMO.

drill some speed holes in it and see how it flies then. flat vs. dome is all personal preference and throwing technique

If someone calls you out on it, which would be very unlikely, just say you left it in your car, garage, found it in an old box, etc. Or you just search for freaks of a mold.

drill some speed holes in it and see how it flies then. flat vs. dome is all personal preference and throwing technique

I agree. I like my Rocs flat but have one dome Roc that I also like and one flat roc I don't like.

If someone calls you out on it, which would be very unlikely, just say you left it in your car, garage, found it in an old box, etc. Or you just search for freaks of a mold.

If some one calls you out on it tell them to prove it first.

Dang, I thought dome added stability? I guess I need to do a side by side comparison of my one mold that I have one super flat and one rather domey (A-SS).

You want a little dome with a Roc. Fans of flat tops might disagree, but a li'l dome gives more glide. When they get real beat, the flat tops sometimes seem less reliable to me than regular DX Ranchos.

I need to take my own advice and start a couple freshies into putting practice. Rocs fly so much better beat in and there's no better way to beat in a disc than throwing it at a basket.

larry%2Bblackmon%2Bcameo.jpg

I prefer all my over-stable mids with flat tops!