• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flat vs. Domey?!?

Bottom line is every disc mold is impacted differently by dome and how much dome as well as where that raise in the flight plate starts. So glad you know everything and use this BS thread as any baseline lol.

Great DD!

Very simple the way I see it. More dome will create more lift, glide and thus fly less stable as long as the plh is the same on both discs. It's simple when you understand that the longer the air takes to travel over the top with the bigger dome then the bottom the more glide and less stable the disc will be.

Why does a domey disc fly more stable then a flat disc. Dome usually raises plh and also makes the disc fly slower with more glide. So since the plh can cancel out any less stability from dome you will see a similar flight but it is also slowing down faster and gliding more so you will see more LSS in flight and it will happen sooner.

I actually hate flat distance drivers personally, I like domey Katanas with a high plh. Flat ones don't glide much and are flippy.I also find that the flight is more consistent with domey discs, hence why I absolutely hate MVp.

Aim actually did clear it up. There is no pat answer.

I've found that a disc with more dome will typically have more glide. I like to carry both a flat Wraith and one with a nice pop-top dome. The flat one obviously is more stable and a better wind fighter. The pop-top one tends to gain more distance because of the extra glide. I prefer that my OS molds be very flat because I want them to be as OS as possible. My Zone, Firebird & Resistors are all very flat where my Comet, Stalker & Wraiths (2 out of 3) have some dome to them.

So much horrendous bull**** here, Optiwhatsit's eyes have gone brown. See my reply to this crap in the reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/3sabph/definitive_flat_vs_domey_post_by_optidiscic_on/

And you are?

Just because it's an old thread doesn't mean that the 'experts' that vomit nonsense all over this site shouldn't be called on their BS.

(The thread was resurrected on Reddit by some poor soul who thought he found good info...)

Great post, brah. That really clears things up for the poor noobs trying to figure out the game. Some dude found this thread instead of one of the "much better ones" you can't be bothered to link to, and took a great elder like Optidiscic as actually knowing what the f he was talking about. Woops. Too bad not everyone is not an internet and disc golf Wizard.

For a disc golf promoter/instructor, you offer nothing on this site but arrogant/sarcastic/narcissistic dismissals of every thread, unless you're telling someone which MVP to throw. Since you know everything, try sharing actual info maybe.

Who are you again?

More dome=more overstable, but there are other more important factors at work. The PLH is most important, and often times if a disc cools slowly it will have a higher PLH and lower dome making a much more overstable disc. Therefore, especially with certain molds like the predator or firebird, it is easy to generalize and say that a flatter one will be more overstable but it's not always true it's just a generalization.

For example, If you placed two brand new champ 175g TeeBirds on a table next to each other and the wings are sitting identically high on the table they will fly similarly, but if one of them has more dome it will be more overstable. Same is true for any disc whether it is a driver, mid, or putter. I owned a flat 159g Katana once, all three signs point to understable right? Well it was a meathook because the PLH was very high. PLH is king, not the mold, dome, or weight. But they all matter!

More dome=more overstable, but there are other more important factors at work. The PLH is most important, and often times if a disc cools slowly it will have a higher PLH and lower dome making a much more overstable disc. Therefore, especially with certain molds like the predator or firebird, it is easy to generalize and say that a flatter one will be more overstable but it's not always true it's just a generalization.

For example, If you placed two brand new champ 175g TeeBirds on a table next to each other and the wings are sitting identically high on the table they will fly similarly, but if one of them has more dome it will be more overstable. Same is true for any disc whether it is a driver, mid, or putter. I owned a flat 159g Katana once, all three signs point to understable right? Well it was a meathook because the PLH was very high. PLH is king, not the mold, dome, or weight. But they all matter!

So....can we get this post as a sticky? :) Sums it all up nicely.

Ok.. If this thread out of the dirt, I will rant..

What torques me is in offering trades some monkeys ask 'is it flat?' On molds where there is a purposeful dome.

Ok.. If this thread out of the dirt, I will rant..

What torques me is in offering trades some emonkeys ask 'is it flat?' On molds where there is a purposeful dome.

As a noob, it has become clear to me that

(1) different discs are affected very differently by differing dome (due to confounds well explained by Bratton above)

(2) flatter is almost always preferred, regardless.

I prefer flat, but only because domey discs look creepy!

My oldest and newest Rocs are domey, all others are flat. I like them both ways for different reasons.

Modern distance contests are won with with domey pop top type discs. Dome helps with glide.

A good aeronautical engineer could also explain why a dome can create some overtstablity as well..

Interestingly enough, everything I've every read, and experienced, up to this point, was that Domey discs were less stable. While I want to go with Aim's notion that it is disc specific, for the half dozen different drivers that I've experimented with, domey seems to mean more glide/distance and less stable. I use Buzz variants for my midranges and have never found a domey one. Same for the putters I use, they are all consistently non-domey. Clearly someone has the opposite experience given what is being written here.

So much horrendous bull**** here, Optiwhatsit's eyes have gone brown. See my reply to this crap in the reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/3sabph/definitive_flat_vs_domey_post_by_optidiscic_on/

Reddit Mobius said:
Air does not push on the underside of a disc, in any way.

:wall:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I've logged well over 5,000 hours of driving a motor vehicle, and the physics involved are identical to flight, but I don't know them either. So don't feel bad. You're probably still a fine pilot even without any knowledge of physical sciences.

Modern distance contests are won with with domey pop top type discs. Dome helps with glide.

A good aeronautical engineer could also explain why a dome can create some overtstablity as well..

I'm a decent aerodynamicist, and I could make arguments in both directions. Aerodynamics are pretty delicate. It's tough to make a comprehensive statement about any particular feature without taking into account all the changes to other features of the design.

Flat tops will produce less lift.
Flat tops will have less separation at low angles of attack.
Flat tops will have more separation at high angles of attack.
Sharp corners (high plh with flat top) will have a ton of separation at high angles of attack.
Round corners (low plh with flat top) will have less separation.

Lots of separation tends to push the center of lift forward, which will produce an overstable roll.

lots of flat discs out there with tons of glide. great post todd I really believe it comes down to molds just like plastic type and weights as well as shapes. there is no rule specially given the different speed classes and stabilities.

Saw this posted earlier. It seems this was done for some science fair.

http://www.discgolfanswerman.com/di...ins-flight-of-disc-golf-discs-better-than-you

9 Year Old Explains Flight of Disc Golf Discs Better Than You

9888027_orig.png

Latest posts