• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flattening a disc

"Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal."

From my take of the rule, I have interpreted it as being fine to flatten discs. When I am flattening a disc, it was either a roc, buzzz, or firebird, and I was trying to get them to fly like their original flight characteristics of the disc that I used to own that I wanted it to fly like. It is not my fault that the companies have terrible quality control and can not mold up their discs to be the same from run to run so this rule allows us to do that for them. Just my interpretation, I know most of you see it differently.

I disagree with your interpretation. The rule does not say change it so it flies like a disc you used to have. If I am seen taking a knife to cut off the flashing of a disc I can be called on it even though I was just trying to get the disc similar to my other disc and the flashing was going to wear off anyway.

If you want to flatten your discs, I no longer see a problem with it. It is not giving you an advantage and you are risking creating an inconsistent disc or even damaging your disc. I think it is illegal in the eyes of the PDGA, but if I took the same disc and tacoed it on my first throw I would try to use boiling water to restore it to it's factory condition. I would be doing the exact same procedure as someone making an illegal modification and mine is legal because I threw the disc just one time.

Aerobie tells you to bend the crap out of your discs before use to "tune them in". So where is the line where you have gone too far in modification?

This method works great for me:

1: Fill a 5 gallon pot with water. (or the biggest pot you have, best if bottom is rounded edges. water can be any temp, this is just for weight)

2: Boil water in a separate pot. Alternate method: use very hot tap water instead.

3: Put disc upside down on flat surface (nice hard counter space is the best)

4: Pour boiling water into the disc, almost to the top (have to leave a slight space for air to escape when 5 gallon pot is placed on top)

5: Place 5 gallon pot on top of disc with water in it.

6: Pull down on pot onto the disc to expell any air inside / this also creates somewhat of a vacuum. You may have to pull the rim down a tiny bit to let some air out.

7: Let pot sit for 5-10 minutes on top of disc.

8: Repeat multiple times until you start to see your desired flatness. Usually around 5 or 6 times will start to really flatten the disc.

9: Once flat enough, place in refrigerator on flat surface, upside down for 20 minutes or so.

10: Enjoy flattened disc.

Last edited:
Everytime I try to flatten a disc the flightplate gets warpy to the concave. maybe letting too much air stay in there...

I just try to go to places with multiples of the same discs so i can try to get the flattest possible. Or order from dynamic discs if you like dome/flat/concave they will make sure you get it.

let me spell this out for yous guys... and pablo.diablo, you know this method works now because you've tried it :)

make coffee without coffee. what I mean is use the coffee pot to heat water and let it fill the pot. about 12 cups should do.

take a cookie pan with a flat bottom and no gunk to mold the flight plate place the disc upside down in the pan. pour the water from the coffee pot into the disc until it fills the disc then let the rest of the water spill over the sides and into the base of the cookie pan. after you have the water to about halfway up the disc, stop and place a heavy weight evenly on the bottom of the disc wing. I use a stone pie pan that must weigh close to ten pounds. LEAVE IT ALONE FOR 1Hr or until the water is cold. take the disc out and dry, place on a flat counter with the same weight on the disc and LEAVE OVERNIGHT. in the morning you will have a flat disc.

Flattened discs have a more consistent grip and feel in the hand. It's personal preference really, but I think it's easier to get a flat release with a disc that has a flatter top.