• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Flies like a Teebird, but fights wind a bit better

Firebird.... its what they are made for.....

Get a champ banshee. Its the same speed (rim size) as a teebird, has less glide and more fade.

Perfect for windy days.

banshee

Yea I have a champ banshee, I'll give it a shot. I might actually need something faster in the end to compensate for the wind. But interested to see how the Banshee does on this particular shot.

Get a champ banshee. Its the same speed (rim size) as a teebird, has less glide and more fade.

Perfect for windy days.

I recommend the Brinster as well. Not only does it fly more OS, it seems like it will keep that stability for quite a while.

so CPD vs brinster bird...has anyone tried both of these? want to chime in?

Here's the deal. First off, throwing downhill (as you described in your OP) makes a disc fly more understable the same way throwing uphill makes a disc fly more overstable. Just a note, if you weren't aware.

To get a disc that fights wind well, but still flies straight in calm conditions, in my experience, you need to get a disc that starts overstable and beat it into submission.

This is why I'm such a fan of the Predator.
I've had this one same Pred in my bag for as long as I've owned a bag...6-7 years or so. It's beat to the point where in calm conditions, it flies very much like a Teebird -- dead nuts straight, with a reliable, late, forward-moving fading finish. Actually, it's more like a PD, as Preds are a notch and a half faster than a Teebird.
And in a headwind (anything up to maybe 15mph) it flies exactly the same way as it does in no wind. And no matter how many times I throw it, no matter how many times I crank it into a tree, it still keeps its stability.

The problem, of course, is that it takes forever to beat in a Firebird or Pred or other naturally overstable discs, so it's tough to find backups or replacements. But it can be done.

The other thing you could do is just carry two or more Teebirds. Keep an overstable one for windy and downhill shots.

Find a stiff and or flat 12x Eagle and it'll be exactly what you're looking for.

No. Flat discs turn more. If you want less turn you want dome.

@OP: You're getting a ton of answers because you didn't post your power level.

IMO Firebird, FL, PD, certain other Teebirds, and Banshee are all great suggestions. It will depend on your power level and how stiff of a wind you're fighting.

That said, I carry a pair of Teebirds, PD's, AND Firebirds in my bag - lol. I find that if I want a Teebird flight in a head/crosswind I use the PD. If I want it to fade even into the wind I'll throw the Firebird. I'm throwing these discs in the ~330-360ft. range if that helps.

That is definitely not a true statement in general. There are a ton of examples on both sides, dome seems to affect stability but not in a predictable way.

That is definitely not a true statement in general. There are a ton of examples on both sides, dome seems to affect stability but not in a predictable way.

Fair point, I should have prefaced by saying, "As a general guideline, with all other things being equal."

For Eagles though I think it is fair to say that domey = less turn. At least in my experience *shrugs*

power level

I guess I can toss this max weight teebird to about 280ft or so, I'm guessing.
I think I also agree that flat discs turn more. Domey discs tend to stabilize in the air more, at least for my sidewinders and destroyers that's true.

PD is sounding good, so is a beat predator. And other teebirds lol.

@OP: You're getting a ton of answers because you didn't post your power level.

IMO Firebird, FL, PD, certain other Teebirds, and Banshee are all great suggestions. It will depend on your power level and how stiff of a wind you're fighting.

That said, I carry a pair of Teebirds, PD's, AND Firebirds in my bag - lol. I find that if I want a Teebird flight in a head/crosswind I use the PD. If I want it to fade even into the wind I'll throw the Firebird. I'm throwing these discs in the ~330-360ft. range if that helps.

the most similar in flight would probably be an Eagle or Reaper, but Discraft doesn't make Reapers anymore... :( When the wind is really kicking though, a Firebird or Predator will fly similar. It all depends on how fast the wind is blowing.

I guess I can toss this max weight teebird to about 280ft or so, I'm guessing.
I think I also agree that flat discs turn more. Domey discs tend to stabilize in the air more, at least for my sidewinders and destroyers that's true.

PD is sounding good, so is a beat predator. And other teebirds lol.

At your power level, I'd say find a stiff and domey Teebird (the new Avery signature series ones would fit the bill quite nicely). From there a FL would probably be money for your next step-up.

I went back to that down hill shot today. I think my answer is to just correctly throw the teebird or banshee. Both flew far and had plenty of potential to reach the basket.
The FL did not do so great, lifted more than I wanted, but it's light.
Anything more stable than a destroyer just didn't feel right for accuracy for me.