• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flight Dynamics

Sheep

Sir, This is a Wendy's
https://www.flinnsci.com/flinn-at-home-lab-16soaring-to-new-heights/vmafahlab16/

One of the largest issues I go full soap box mode over is listening to people talk about why a disc does this or that and blah blah. "well the plastic makes it...." No, the plastic doesn't make it do anything, it all has to do with the shape of the wings, and many many other factors.

This is a great video that goes over a light of winged flight mechanics and such to maybe help give a bit better understanding of a lot of the forces that are being applied to a disc. Because these things we throw are wings. They are stabilized by the amount of spin we put on those and the ratio of the weight around and across the disc.

SOO many factors go into the flight of a disc and getting it to fly correctly, and the more you can understand about flight dynamics in general, the more grasp you can get on why a disc is doing what.
Such as how important nose angle is to disc flight and wing shape.

When I get the wind tunnel finished. (someday) we'll be able to look at this information in far more detail.

My workshop is an absolute mess with my truck in there right now getting some TLC, so building projects on hold for a minute.

Latest posts