• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flight number stability ratings

ToneRay

Are all innova discs with flight numbers more stable than their preflight counterparts? Both my roadrunner and sidewinder have been disappointing in this regard. What are my options to get my game back on track?

RHBH noodle/medium arm player

Different runs are all over the place. Some less stable, some more stable. No company is producing consistent discs from run to run so you just have to find some you like and stock up on a couple extras.

Are all innova discs with flight numbers more stable than their preflight counterparts? Both my roadrunner and sidewinder have been disappointing in this regard. What are my options to get my game back on track?

The flight numbers are a general guide, not an nth degree granular number system. The system has been adopted by several companies as well as internet sellers (DGC, Infinite, etc.), but they are not necessarily correlated between those brands and online sites. Infinite's "5" glide is Lat64's "6" glide, and so on.

Also, there can be differences within a mold. The Destroyer's numbers are 12,5,-1,3... but it seems the different plastics and molding up of the discs create a HUGE range, from beefy overstable to flippy understable.

So the numbers are what they are, and are not the Gospel according to St. Innova. Take them for what they are (a very general comparison helper), and keep reading DGCR to see how the discs really fly...

Is this possibly a break in period issue? Any pre-flight throwers have likely been beat in significantly and thus are less stable (or less over stable) than they originally were. Compared to brand new discs you will certainly notice differences. It's not a specific change that happened when they started stamping flight numbers, but rather a by-product of the wear on discs old enough to have old-timey stamps.

Adding the numbers to the discs didn't automatically transform them into something different.
The hell you say! My more recent Innova discs all fly better than any of their PFN counterparts. Surely it's the flight #'s themselves... it's as if the air molecules can read them to know what the disc is supposed to do, and then behave in a way that makes that happen. It's like magic I tell you!

Last edited:
Try out some G* plastic, maybe. The current plastic does seem to be molding up more stable than earlier runs.

Not a breakin issue. Just figured some more precise engineering and process control could be used.
Disc golf is Life!
Can I get an Amen!?;)

Innova's flight numbers USED to be pretty accurate. Notice I said used to. Nowadays everything they're putting out is DRAMATICALLY more stable than the numbers indicate. Recent Destroyers are more like 12, 3, 0, 4. Glideless bricks.

Bosses are the same way. I've tossed a few recent Bosses and they're massive pigs.

Grooves are irrelevant in every regard, but they too are coming out quite a bit more stable than the numbers printed on the disc.

Innova's flight numbers USED to be pretty accurate. Notice I said used to. Nowadays everything they're putting out is DRAMATICALLY more stable than the numbers indicate. Recent Destroyers are more like 12, 3, 0, 4. Glideless bricks.

Bosses are the same way. I've tossed a few recent Bosses and they're massive pigs.

Grooves are irrelevant in every regard, but they too are coming out quite a bit more stable than the numbers printed on the disc.

For as long as I remember there have been discussions on the variability in Innova flight patterns, often enough due to differences down to the color of the disc.

You used to mainly see consistency issues with Innova due to their shear volume.

Now that other manufacturers are ramping up their output, you see them dealing with the same problems.

Some people like PFN Innova because they were running smaller batches of discs back then.

The QC was easier, plastic batches were more consistent, etc, etc.

Not a breakin issue. Just figured some more precise engineering and process control could be used.
Disc golf is Life!
Can I get an Amen!?;)

Master the disc or the disc will become your master.

You used to mainly see consistency issues with Innova due to their shear volume.

Now that other manufacturers are ramping up their output, you see them dealing with the same problems.

Some people like PFN Innova because they were running smaller batches of discs back then.

The QC was easier, plastic batches were more consistent, etc, etc.

If I were to hazard a guess, QC became an issue with the intro of multiple plastics. DX, one plastic, minimal problems?

RHBH noodle/medium arm player[/QUOTE

Well, when I am buying new disc I look at the shape of the disc I am replacing. I compare the dome height and rim angle of the new disc to the one I currently carry. The reason I do this, the new disc is more likely to perform like the older disc. I always expect new disc to have a slightly different flight pattern for some time until I break it in.

Keep in mind plastics cure differently which changes the overall disc shape and the same molds have different degrees of stability for this reason.

Disc weight will also influence stability. Are your new disc the same weight as the PFN stuff you once used?

Disc wear will influences disc stability, as you throw your disc they will change over time. You may need to beat yours in a bit to get what you expect. This can take some time.

One other thing to consider is purchasing the older PFN discs since they have performed well for you. In many cases the original owner did all the break-in work for you, which means you might get something closer to what you expect right out of the mailbox.

Good luck.

The flight numbers aren't the issue. The increasing use of plus mold like rims on supposedly not plus mold discs may explain why the discs are more OS. Sidewinders are a good example of this. Compare a PFN one to a new one and you should see the difference.

If I were to hazard a guess, QC became an issue with the intro of multiple plastics. DX, one plastic, minimal problems?

I would agree with that.

Also going from running 2,000 to 10,000 of a mold might not help the issue.

Latest posts