• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] flight ratings

valkrie

ok im pretty new to disc got a good concept and pray pretty well i understand all rules and aspects but the one thing is -numbers on innova disc flight ratings ok so 9 4 -2 2 what does the negative mean does it add to the fade? someone enlighten me

IMHO I don't care much for Innova' s numbering system that's being adopted by the 1st community at large. I'm a fan of the K.I.S.S. method, so I prefer Discraft's 1 number system. There are several good sources to break the 4 number system such as the In Flight guide or the Gotta Go Gotta Throw matrix.

My recommendation is to buy a disc or 2 from ME. They usually throw in a colorful and useful diagram of how discs are SUPPOSE to fly.

First - realize that Innova's #'s are all relative... they only have meaning when comparing two Innova discs, although to some extent, they have been adopted in some fashion to describe discs other than Innova.

The 3rd # (-2) describes the disc's tendancy to turn, which occurs in the opposite direction of fade.
The 4th # describes how hard the disc fades.

Because discs tend to fade at the end of flight, many necomers think that's what we mean by a disc turning, it's not. Turn refers to a disc's tendency during the high speed portion of the flight to turn (to the right for a RHBH or LHFH throw, to the left for a RHFH/LHBH throw). A disc with a -4 turn rating will turn at a lower speed than one with a -2. A -1 needs to be thrown faster still to get it to turn. This number refers to the discs's High Speed Stability.

Turn and fade are different components of disc flight, so Innova created different numers to describe them. I specifically avoided using the term quantify, because Innova's scale isn't really referenced to anything... it's hard to quantify what a turn rating of -2 means, but if you throw a -3 disc, and a -2 disc, then you get a feel for how easily they turn relative to each other. +1 discs are pretty much meat hooks.

Last edited:
ok im pretty new to disc got a good concept and pray pretty well i understand all rules and aspects but the one thing is -numbers on innova disc flight ratings ok so 9 4 -2 2 what does the negative mean does it add to the fade? someone enlighten me

While we don't use the Innova 4-number system in our inFlight Guide, we also make use of negative values to describe the turn portion of disc flight as the inverse direction of fade and we give a little detail in our overview when describing High-Speed Turn (HST): http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=569#RSS

High-Speed Turn (HST) – High-Speed Turn occurs during the first part of flight and is the amount to which a disc will turn to the right. The lower the % (especially negative percentages), the greater the likelihood the disc will bank right (and/or turn over).