• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Floating Discs

J-Rod

Bogey Member
I need a good driver that can float in water. im a beginer. i throw forearm. i was thinking something maybe like the dx dragon.

Dont worry about floating discs. ive had friends who threw floating discs in the water, about 1 foot in, and by the time we ran up to it, it drifted out too far to reach with a stick...

for a beginner, try one of these (none of em float) Valkrie, sidewinder, Roadrunner,Lepoard,Cheetah.

well i wouldnt say im a beginner but i wouldnt say im intermidiate either. im like inbetween. and i already have a roadrunner.

Instead of buying a floating discs, I would suggest buying your regular discs in cheaper plastic version for water holes. Or use some old discs if you have some. Or maybe find some used discs. Whatever you use, just practice with them a little before you hit the course.

I really don't recommend floaters. If you have to throw a floater, the Lightning # 2 Driver is a good disc.

the dragon works for me but remember you may still need to get wet to retrieve it

try the lightning discs, most of them float and they are cheaper than dx. plus the dragon only comes in 150g

Thanks, solomon.trenton for the words of wisdom.
I throw floating discs. I've seen too many discs disappear into the wet blackness. I ain't proud.
If you have a good forehand, maybe you can try the Epic. Some people lov'em and others hate'em, but it should take a forehand relatively well. Just a suggestion.
As solomon.trenton has suggested, also think about a Lightning disc. For a forehand, the "Driver" series would be good if you like stable discs. The "Hyzer" series is more overstable.

Here's a list of floaters from Gottagogottathrow.com

Grab yourself a couple of R-Pro Boss's.

Any weight under 150 grams should float.

I usually throw a much heavier and more stable Star Boss FH, but I have thrown my light R-Pro's very far with alot of hyzer.

I have splashed both my 136 and 142 gram discs, both float well plate or rim side up, doesnt matter, even if its just a puddle.
I have not risked my 150 yet.

Instead of buying a floating discs, I would suggest buying your regular discs in cheaper plastic version for water holes. Or use some old discs if you have some. Or maybe find some used discs. Whatever you use, just practice with them a little before you hit the course.

THIS.

Now, if you like a disc that happens to float that is one thing, but I have seen several times a disc floating in goose crap pond and the only good the floating did was let whoever threw it see it out there on top of the water where they STILL cant get it.

I'm fairly inaccurate thrower so I often find myself throwing DX on holes where wetness can steal my disc. One issue that I find is that my DX discs will typically have a much different flight path than my Champ/Star discs (or Z/ESP, if you will...if you must). I'm assuming that this is due to a combination of different plastics and different states of wear, both of which result in different stabilities. The outcome is typically a drive that will undoubtedly land in a spot I don't want and, dare I say, splash down more often than not.

So yesterday I was called out on my use of DX plastic on water holes and it got me thinking. A good portion of this game is played in your head. So why not put your best mental foot forward and have some confidence in your throw? Throw what you're used to and expect good results. You'll play like a champion if you think like a champion. Now that I've imparted those words of wisdom I just need to try this out first...I'll let you know how it goes :p

lightning #2 driver is a disc i use even on holes where no water comes into play. great disc. also, if you try a dragon, be careful, they can have minds of their own, I have to crazy hyzer flip mine just to keep it somewhat straight.

The course that you play regularly has a water hazerd if not pass on the floater.

I really don't recommend floaters. If you have to throw a floater, the Lightning # 2 Driver is a good disc.

I'm with you on the first part about not recommending floaters, but I have a Lightning #2 and I find it to be terrible. If there is any wind whatsoever, it will wreak havoc and make the disc "flippy" with an unpredictable flight path.

I also have a funny story that involves this disc. I was playing with a friend of mine who was very new to disc golf. On a local course, hole #10 starts with a long drive over a large pond. I knew he would not be able to throw it over from the tee pad, so we started the hole right next to the water.

We move down to the right side of the pond, about 15' from the far edge of the water and about 10' to the right of the pond. There is nothing but open field past the pond on the left and, basically, endless open field to the right. Before he threw, I said, "whatever you do, don't throw it in the water. You can throw it backwards for all I care, but try not to throw it in the water." I must have jinxed him because he threw a rhbh about 40' straight up in the air and the right to left wind carried the disc about 15-20' into the pond. (It was the funniest thing I had ever seen. I was on the ground laughing.)

Now, I'm not a mean person, nor do I care about losing discs, so there was no way I expected him to go directly in after it. So, we waited for the wind to blow the disc to a spot where we could nab it with a stick. The wind actually blew the disc on the water directly through the middle of the pond. About 200' and 20 minutes later, the disc ended up on the other side of the pond. Needless to say, we did not finish the round.

Thanks, solomon.trenton for the words of wisdom.
I throw floating discs. I've seen too many discs disappear into the wet blackness. I ain't proud.
If you have a good forehand, maybe you can try the Epic. Some people lov'em and others hate'em, but it should take a forehand relatively well. Just a suggestion.
As solomon.trenton has suggested, also think about a Lightning disc. For a forehand, the "Driver" series would be good if you like stable discs. The "Hyzer" series is more overstable.

Here's a list of floaters from Gottagogottathrow.com

how do you knw about gotta go gotaa throw. i live right by there.:)

I recently bought two lightening discs which were advertised as "floaters". They both sink pretty much like any other disc. The discs were #2 Flyer (165g) and #3 Driver (167g) both glow discs.

Yeah, don't bother w/ floating discs. The Dragon is horrible.

Latest posts