• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Floating Disks

blang

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
What disks float?

I currently know of the Following.

Innova Dragon
Innova Hydra (discontinued)
Lightning #2 Driver

Thanks for the Hydra info. I did not find it on Innova's page because I thought it was a Mid-range disk. I found it in the p&a area still available.

I found out today that all Odyssey Discs will float.

I picked up an Odyssey Ultra Long Range Driver today. I hope it will take the place of my Dragon for over water drives.

There is also some discs from DGA that float as well.....I know definately that there putters do, I use the Blowfly all the time. Not only does it float, it is one of the softest putters made, it works great on a hilly landing area because when it hits the ground, it usually will not roll.

Just be sure you've got something to retrieve the floating disc with. A disc that floats in the middle of a lake is easy to see but not so easy to retrieve unless you want to go for a swim.

Just go spend $12 at Lowe's and you can make one of thses:

DiscRetriver2.jpg

Aerobie claims that all their discs float, and I can personally vouch for the Epic and arrow.

Dragon, Hydra

Lightning Driver #2, and one other of the #2's, hookshot, i think, will float

Blang, where did you hear that all Odyssey discs float, just to doublecheck before I go losing one?

by the way What does everyone uses as their floating disc of choice, and why

I use the mainly the arrow for anything under 150' involving water, including P&A

Carry a dragon for emergencies, but dont practice with it, so never sure how it will fly wneh i do need it

I use my blowfly<putter> for a hole at my home course, it is a 180 ft hole, downhill, onto an island. Our "tournament rule" is that either you land on the island, or you are OB, and you putt from the end of the bridge leading onto the island for a 3. A creek surrounds the island, and it is usually calm, but if you play after a good rain, then of course the creek rises, and can get a bit fast and furious.

The sports psycologist on PDGA Radio (the original ones from 2004/2005) once said throwing a floater rather than a disc you would throw on the same hole without water is accepting defeat. Kind of harsh but true in a way. I say throw what you normally would and get one of these below. If you can see your disc you WILL get it back with this:
http://marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/proddetail.asp?prod=golden_retriever

I have never met a psychologist that did not need one themselves. I guess I will use her logic and never layup a shot because not trying that 75 foot putt would be accepting defeat as well. Kidding aside, you personally have brought up a point that I have also considered. The times that I have had to retrieve my floating disc I did feel that if I would have thrown my regular driver I would not have been in the water in the first place. But in all honestly I think it is important to know for me to know my limitations and if I cannot throw over the water but 75% of the time is it not worth it to take a chance losing a broken in valuable driver 25 percent of the time.

That is pretty true....and that is what I throw at that hole, the disc I throw anyway. We also have a water course that we play on the S. Carolina circuit in Charleston <Trophy Lakes>. That course has a water hazard on about 10 of the 18 holes. I've lost many a champion, or star disc there on that course. I've learned that if you find a certain disc, and weight,that works well for you get backups. Since I usually "cash out" as an am in tournaments, use the winnings to get discs that are your "go-to" discs and carry backups to tournaments in your car, that way if you lose one during a round, before the next round begins put that in your bag and it's not too bad a loss. Also a good rule of thumb, take out the backups on occasion and throw them, just to see if they fly like your older one!

Unless you're really confident you'll be able to make it over a water shot, you shoudln't even be throwing that line. You should lay up instead. If there isn't another option then the hole is pooly designed. I usually skip those holes. A 1 in 4 chance of going OB or loosing a disc is not a good enough probability to justify trying that shot.

The other issue is that most disc golf discs that float are horribly unpredictable increasing your chances of loosing them. If they were predictable you'd be throwing them all the time and not just over water.

I personally do not find the Odyssey Ultra Long Range Driver unpredictable and will use this for my water holes after my home course is reopened. I purchased a heaver 176 gram disc to add to its predictability over the lake winds. The 150 gram size is why I did not like the dragon. I have only been playing seriously for a couple of months and what is 75% today will be 95% next year. I am currently around 75% at 20 to 22 foot putts but i still need to try them. The reason I opened this topic is to find a good disc to use on the water holes at my home course and I am currently as happy pulling out the Odyssey Ultra Long Range Driver to throw over water as I am using my Roc for mid range shots.

The reason I opened this topic is to find a good disc to use on the water holes at my home course and I am currently as happy pulling out the Odyssey Ultra Long Range Driver to throw over water as I am using my Roc for mid range shots.
Then why just use it for water? If it's predictable enough to use, you should use it all the time.

My point is it's OK to use a floating disc if you think it's a good disc. It doesn't make sense to have a specific disc for water that you don't use anywhere else, though.

My brother and friend love throwing their Dragons on half the course, not just around the water. I have seen the Newbies have a easier time with the Dragon. Not only do I use my Dragon for over water shots, but also near water shots, just in case you have a bad throw, or get a bad roll at the end. Loosing discs is not fun.

I agree midnight biker. Usually i let newbs use my dragon when they play with me, so they dont lose any drives over water. THe ones that bought discs of their own all use the dragon as their main driver. They love it bc its light and will float thru the air pretty well even with a weak drive, and not too overstable. Plus the worryfree floating aspect.

Several of the discs in my bag float, but they all have specific purposes other than floating disc, and the floating is kindof a bonus. Thus, I use them when the situation calls for it. Most of the dloating ones have never even landed in water, since I just haven't had a water shot that they were the right disc for. My putter floats, fortunately, since its gotten wet many-a time, but my tomahawk disc and overstable midrange do as well (Arrow, Epic, and #3 Hookshot, if you were curious), and this hasnt even been a factor. Actually, I lost my Epic today ON LAND while trying to tomahawk out of the MN forest, so floating isnt everything. I just have a good retriever, so I can pull my regulars out of the water in a pinch.

On that note, justin, not to rain on your parade, but the Golden Retriever stinks. It barely touches the surface of the bottom, so if your disc went in at an angle, or sunk into the mucky bottom at all, it will go right over it. Mine is heavier, and shaped like a grappling hook/claw thing, or Robsta Craw as I call it. Some guy named Toad welds them himself in AZ, and I bought it for the same price that golden triangle cost online. Def put its durability to the test, and its rock solid. If you are ever in AZ, i'd recommend you find him at Vista Del Camino and get one. He usually has a couple in the back of his truck.

So, in summary:

Good Retriever > any kind of Floating Disc
(in most situations)

There are two local courses where we have to throw over ponds or in two cases right at a pond (basket sits in front of it). I purchased a Lightning #2 Driver to take the mental aspect out of it. It is a pretty dependable disc, with a nice straight flight for those throws. I also have a dragon, but it doent ever feel right.

I have found that it works well when i throw over or at a pond. I dont use it when running along water to one side or another. I adjust my shots as needed for those (anhyer or hyzer release depending on which side the water/creek is)

Latest posts