• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Floats or sinks?

Squirrilah Fish

Birdie Member
Anyone know of a good website where you can find out if your disc floats or sinks in water. I'm going to play a course where a River runs through a few fairways, and id like to mark my floating discs. (If I have any) if not I'll have to go get a dragon. Anyone know of other discs that float?

You can just fill up your sink with water, and see which discs float. Try it upside down, and push them far enough under so that the dome fills up with water. Or just drop them in sideways.

Play like the rivers aren't there. Some will go in and some won't, it's all part of the game. But worrying about bringing around a disc you don't know well just because it floats doesn't work well.

i hate water holes, my discs are way too cool for that ****... definitely my least favorite part of the game.

You can just fill up your sink with water, and see which discs float. Try it upside down, and push them far enough under so that the dome fills up with water. Or just drop them in sideways.

I thought of that right after I posted. None of my discs float. But I'm going to take that other persons advice, just not even think about it. I'm sure if I'm thinking about and looking at the water that's where I'll end up.

I've just courated my bag so well, I don't want to lose any of my soldiers.

The problem with discs that float is that they don't always float where you want them to.

I thought of that right after I posted. None of my discs float. But I'm going to take that other persons advice, just not even think about it. I'm sure if I'm thinking about and looking at the water that's where I'll end up.

I've just courated my bag so well, I don't want to lose any of my soldiers.

The bolded piece is so true. Self fulfilling prophecy that one is.

Now if only my staring at the basket made all my putts go in like staring at water or that lone tree in the fairway does....

Not too many of the disc that your floating are worth bagging, and some of those don't float very well either.

Just keep a cheap backup if you need a water disc, you work at a PIAS right? Just buy some used ones for water holes

I have a stiff 175 dx hydra in my truck that is a fantastic disc. It is putter-midrangeish, feels chunky, and is quite overstable. Every dragon and wahoo I've seen has been very understable and I would not recommend them, but there are plenty of nice overstable blizzard-esque discs out there so find one of those.

Not too many of the disc that your floating are worth bagging, and some of those don't float very well either.

Just keep a cheap backup if you need a water disc, you work at a PIAS right? Just buy some used ones for water holes

This^.

And as far as water holes, I play like there is none there.
Don't let it get in your head and make your throw!
(And if it does go in the drink, oh well, it was a cheap DX disc easily replaced).

If you buy a blizzard style disc make sure it scales under 140, since the marked weights are often off and you'd like it to float

Another word of advice don't wear an Old Navy shirt..... A friend of mine wore one to a tourney at a lake course and dunked 3 discs that day, lol.

I carry DX Teebirds with me to use on water carry holes. They're cheap, I know how they fly and they can work a ton of lines. If I lose one then I just buy another for $7-8. I used to try to Cary blizzard discs in light weights but I was never able to find two that flew the same and they got really wonky with any wind.

Personally I like the DX 'bird solution.