• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fly Boy Aviation Disc Golf

Really saddened to hear this. I guess I should have played this course since it was in my home state:wall::doh::(

This makes me feel a little better about not driving the 1100 mile round trip, but not much. DAMN!DAMN!DAMN!(Good Times reference).:(:(

From all of the reviews that I read, I would have payed 50 bucks to play 1 round with no hesitation. At least the Flip City crowd is happy to be back on top, even if it is by default. popcorn face. It is prob a safe prediction that Selah Ranch will take the number one spot in a couple of months. That should prove interesting. Also, will Selah Ranch hold that spot as out of state trusted reviewers start to visit the 36 hole setup?

From all of the reviews that I read, I would have payed 50 bucks to play 1 round with no hesitation. At least the Flip City crowd is happy to be back on top, even if it is by default. popcorn face. It is prob a safe prediction that Selah Ranch will take the number one spot in a couple of months. That should prove interesting. Also, will Selah Ranch hold that spot as out of state trusted reviewers start to visit the 36 hole setup?

It will be interesting to see about Selah. I have read the reviews and they are all pretty terrible and they all give 5's. That makes me pretty suspicious if the course is up to the hype. We really need some out of state folks to go and play, or maybe some impartial Texan to give a detailed review.
I agree that it is sad that people won't pay more to play an excellent course. I would pay 30-40$ to play Flyboy. Unfortunately there is a large group of folks that are hell bent on the sport being free and would not pay up.

Thank you very much Kelly!!! I had the pleasure of playing with you and Brad no more than a month ago. I still replay the round in my head. Probably will for a long time to come. Good luck to you in your future endeavors! Can't wait to see the ideas you mentioned come to fruition!!! Long live FLYBOY!!!!!

Sad day and boy, do I consider myself very lucky

My sincere thanks, Kelly! I'm so very glad you found a way to fit me in on New Year's Eve. I feel honored to be one of the lucky people to have played this course .

During my visit, I kept wondering how he was was even able to do all this and kept thinking to myself how much time and work all of this must take. Ultimately, there's only so much time available and I cannot fault Kelly for choosing to scale things back to make time for other things in his life.

For those who want to read what Kelly said:

Kelly's Review/Goodbye

Last edited:
Sad news. But I totally understand. That course covered a lot of ground and most of it not his. If nothing else, Kelly gave those that played a disc golf experience unlike any other I know of. He has set a standard that others can now aim for.

Thanks Kelly!

Kelly is one of the kindest and most generous people I've met, and his course was a truly special place. I get the need to make it a bit more under the radar, I'm glad he'll still be offering some chances for people to see how cool it is.

Only read the first few posts of the thread so if I say something that has already be posted, I apologize. Me and some friends played there December 13th and it was 5 bucks for lunch but it was donation for the play. They told us it wasn't recquired, but we did anyway. It is an amazing place to play! They have a couple dogs, one of which will run after rollers for days. We stayed all day and it was an awesome experince. My favorite hole was hole 3 or hole 9. This course and the whole experience was amazing and I plan to go back again.

I was really looking forward to driving for 24 hours, staying in the B+B with my almost grown son and getting a round in with Kelly. You can't get everything I guess. It is easy to understand where you are coming from. I wish you the best and if I ever get around to making my own course feel free to stop in.

Thank you Kelly. I will always remember the 3 you got on #27 from about 250 feet out. It was fun to watch. Your parents are incredible and your place is unbeleivable. Truely worthy of the #1 disc golf destination in the world. We were planning to visit again in early Febuary( I will call to check your schedule). Kelly, from some one who knows what it takes to maintain a great course "YOU DA MAN".
Love you bro.

Sad :( especially considering I am in the works to try and find property for my landscape business where i could put in a course too . . . I found the property now I would just need to get a loan and make it happen. The land has other use and the zoning seems to allow for this type of deal. I just am worried that a pay to play just will not produce enough funds to really make it worthwhile. I think the best chance at a pay to play that would work is one that needs no lawn mowing. That has to be the biggest expenditure to pay for the fuel and maintenance on a mower. A wooded course would really only need woodchips put down from time to time to keep the fairways clear of mud.

Last edited:
Oh Kelly, stop whining and get some very well trained sheep!
Nah, have never got to play the course (was a dream), but Kelly has given more to DG than even he could of imagined. Hopefully his course has inspired others. The labour of love is labour at the end of the day. Good luck for the future.

It will be interesting to see about Selah. I have read the reviews and they are all pretty terrible and they all give 5's. That makes me pretty suspicious if the course is up to the hype. We really need some out of state folks to go and play, or maybe some impartial Texan to give a detailed review.

i'm on it soon! :D

I would have if it was in the ground last year when I went through town, but I think it was still in the design process at that time, because when i visited John Houck's courses he was out on a design and i think I remember this course being discussed at the same time. I may be mistaken, but I think that was the case

Hey Guys, thanks for all the support and understanding. I'm lookng forward to catching my breath for a while...maybe do a road trip or two myself. Flyboy style. Happy disc'n.

Kelly

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 79
You certainly have my understanding. Don't forget to visit Stoney Hill on that much-deserved road trip.

David you are on my route for sure. I plan on spending the nights of February 13th and 14th in Augusta and then heading to Charlotte, so I would be able to play with you on the 15th if you are available.

This trip of mine is turning out to be a lot of visits to private courses! Unfortunately the flyboy experience will have to wait.

From a self confessed flip snob, Kelly thank you for putting flip city in the number two spot. Your course, from the pictures, had everything that flip lacks(eg; water, more risk reward, etc).
I would have loved to make the pilgrimage to Georgia to let you kick my ass on your course, but understand your point of view. Your grace in your flip city review was unsurpassed. I can only thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving other courses a bar by which to gauge themselves.
I don't claim that my beloved flip city is the perfect course, or that yours is either but what I see with both courses is a certain amount of passion that could only come with private ownership. I often wonder how bill maintains his course and holds down a full time job... Dude is so busy he only gets to enjoy his creation once a week if he's lucky. Passion shows from both of you guys. Congrats on your successes in life and from someone who just got back from a 4000+ mile plane ride from Hawaii, I can't thank you enough for what you do as a profession.
Thank you Kelly
The entire flip city snobs crew thanks you...
Jeff