• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Foam Roller

eli said:
When I say quite painful at first I'm talking about using it for it bands/quads after having done resistance training for a few years and not really properly stretching. Not pain in a bad way. Yeah it stings a bit but it really cuts done on post workout soreness and speeds recovery time.

When he says painful. He really is saying that he is a big tittie baby and cant handle any kind of discomfort. :twisted:

Oh and so I dont get off track, Foam Rollers Rock!!

disc junkie said:
eli said:
When I say quite painful at first I'm talking about using it for it bands/quads after having done resistance training for a few years and not really properly stretching. Not pain in a bad way. Yeah it stings a bit but it really cuts done on post workout soreness and speeds recovery time.

When he says painful. He really is saying that he is a big tittie baby and cant handle any kind of discomfort. :twisted:

Oh and so I dont get off track, Foam Rollers Rock!!

Nice. You dickhead! I ate 2 monster donjuan tacos and I'm gonna drink a bunch of shitty protein in the morning so I can drop bombs all day tomorrow. Hope you enjoy trying to tee off in a thick fog of shitstink.

My propensity to getting pain comes from an inoperable rest of the injury. I've already had surgery and the surgeon said that trying to get more scar tissue from pinching my nerves is too dangerous. Because what is left of the scars in the arm are so close to a cluster of nerves in a tight spot that it's too likely to cut the nerves for a life time of agony. Err... no thank you. I get inflammations in the arm too easily because of the old injury. It ain't gonna go away by itself but gaining muscle mass will help support the damaged area so it's a long process of prevention and never working out with heavy weights. Blechhh.

I don't get pains until i overwork the arm. Static stressing will hurt the arm such as typing and using a mouse a lot. And using max weight for me too much will ruin several days.

uNicedmeMan said:
Foam roller = purchased. I'm really really looking forward to seeing what it can do for the ol IT band.

UPS tracking says foam roller was delivered and "left with man"... I haven't seen it yet, sucks, I'm not down with the brown.

Anyone ever had this happen to them? My buddy who works in logistics said to call the company that I bought it from as dealing directly with UPS won't help much.

Bunko. I had that happen with some parts I ordered for my car. They left it outside the door at one of my neighbors house. Pretty stupid to leave hundreds of dollars sitting outside much less at the wrong house. Have you tried checking with your neighbors?

I haven't checked with the neighbors yet. They (UPS) has left packages with the neighbors before but they usually leave a note explaining what happened. This time = no note at all.

Sucks because I'm a bit sore right now and really looking forward to using the mawfuggin piece of foam.

Well, "man" decided to drop my package off and I tried the foam roller for the first time last night. Didn't hurt too much on my hamstrings or calves, hurt a little bit on the quads and killed my IT band (in a good way). It was almost too much to bear when I hit some tight spots on my IT band but damn it felt good after. I'm looking forward to seeing what regular work on this will do.

uNicedmeMan said:
Well, "man" decided to drop my package off and I tried the foam roller for the first time last night. Didn't hurt too much on my hamstrings or calves, hurt a little bit on the quads and killed my IT band (in a good way). It was almost too much to bear when I hit some tight spots on my IT band but damn it felt good after. I'm looking forward to seeing what regular work on this will do.

Welcome to the addiction 8)

Anatomy of "Fuzz" with a cadaver, aka why you should use this everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FtSP-tkSug

I've also added the Mobility WOD to my blog list. This guy is good, some say genius. He is a DPT. It's kinda tough to follow all the technical terms, but I've found that watching it daily basically tells you, work on mobility 10 minutes everyday, somehow, someway. You know when it feels "good".

Discwrangler said:

I've also added the Mobility WOD to my blog list. This guy is good, some say genius. He is a DPT. It's kinda tough to follow all the technical terms, but I've found that watching it daily basically tells you, work on mobility 10 minutes everyday, somehow, someway. You know when it feels "good".

Awesome stuff there. Thanks for posting!

uNicedmeMan said:
Discwrangler said:

Awesome stuff there. Thanks for posting!

Like really. That shit is ridiculous. I've gone back to start at the very beginning (August 2010) and apparently I didn't know what stretching was before. My hips are mega tight and this exercise took all of my will power to get through.

That guy knows what's up, or he is a quack and I'm going to get seriously injured. Either way, it's gonna be a fun ride.

He is a DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy) so I hope I can believe him!

Yeah, that one is freaking tough! I've been trying to get it done once a week.

I've also been working on the deep squat every day at work (I have a good setup!)...trying to accumulate 10 minutes in the squat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_-Mtbl4dYY

so just wanted to get my 2 cents in on this. Foam rolling rocks, and I can recommend adding in tennisballs or golfballs for more specific pinpointing. (For example rolling a golfball under your feet will work wonders)
I would prefer to get a harder roller though, since my foam roller has gotten slightly deformed.

some good articles on foam rolling

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/feel_better_for_10_bucks

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/soft_tissue_work_for_tough_guys

Along those same lines, this guy has been taping 2 lacrosse balls together to run up and down your spine. I'm thinking tennis balls will work too. Planning to hit the store tonight and putting this new device to work.

I highly recommend foam rollers. I use them twice a week and I am still loosening tissue in various places. Once you hit 50, a foam roller is necessity if you want to hang on to your elasticity.

If you use a foam roller in combination with a strap, you can get really nice deep long stretches. The problem is that people usually stretch the muscles that don't need to be stretched. Like if you can do a straight leg hamstring stretch and you can touch your hands flat on the ground. That muscle already can operate at it's full range of motion. Ideally what you want to do is a full body ROM test (best when someone moves you) and stretch the muscles that you don't have full range of motion in. Typical muscles that are tight are... Pectoralis major, Hip flexor muscles - Iliopsoas, Iliacus, Psoas Major, Rectus Femoris, External Hip rotators - Piriformis, Obturators', Gemellus', etc..

Got mine yesterday. :D

Rumble Roller!
rumble-roller.jpg

Latest posts