• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Foot Golf = Footgolf = Soccer Golf = Football Golf

This is pretty cool, if not a bit long. And this is why foot golf could easily destroy disc golf in popularity. Also, love the cameo by Ronaldo.

One of my favorite Nike commercials ever! As you can tell by my profile pic though, Rooney is my favorite player so that may have something to do with it. :D

Last edited:
Would rather have new disc golf courses on a preexisting failing traditional golf course..

c39be.jpg

Just an excuse to play dress up it looks like.

I recently talked at length with one of the major manufacturers and promoters of foot golf. One of the key points was that these are going on ball golf courses as a way to drive up the number of player rounds at those courses, i.e drive up greens fees. Apparently foot golfers are willing to pay-to-play their sport. With ball golf courses going out of business at the rate of 1 every 2 days, they are looking for anything that will increase their revenue. Disc golfers...?

I kicked a guy's soccer ball back to him when it rolled onto the DG course, does that mean I've played foot golf? :|

I have played both disc golf and soccer golf and I love both. I agree that the course styles could be very similar, however, top disc golf courses tend to have a lot of wooded holes and that would not allow for very long booted soccer golf shots. Maybe if one of the courses you are designing is more open, design that with a soccer golf course as well and see how many people each attracts and go from there. I am very interested in seeing the design and would love to give input on the specific design if you need it and even if you don't I would be interested in looking at the design just to see how it works.

The only place where I have actually seen people playing foot golf is a local pitch'n'putt that is dying. The one group I saw had 2 adults and about 6-7 pre-teen kids. Each kid would tee off, then after the last one teed they would race like crazy to be the first one to hole out. I can't imagine ball golfers on the parallel hole being very amused.

I also just helped install 18 baskets on another short golf course. They had considered foot golf but determined that the course was too hilly.

Lucky for us!

Foot Golf=Foolf.

Deja vu?

I honestly don't see this foot golf thing getting beyond novelty status because in playing it, it seems one really doesn't get to enjoy the nuances that come from either sport that it's derived from. Unlike ball golf, there's no specialized equipment (other than the target cups). Unlike soccer, there's no defensive opponent standing in the way preventing you from advancing the ball.

Like foot golf, we started with what we had available at the time, but specialized equipment like bevel edged discs with different flight patterns and the polehole basket came in later to help distinguish the game. Really today, all we share with ball golf is an objective of getting an object to a target in as few attempts as possible.

Who knows though, in time perhaps foot golf will have a similar evolution. The fact that its derived from two established sports instead of one is going to make that road even tougher.

Last edited:
I honestly don't see this foot golf thing getting beyond novelty status because in playing it, it seems one really doesn't get to enjoy the nuances that come from either sport that it's derived from. Unlike ball golf, there's no specialized equipment (other than the target cups). Unlike soccer, there's no defensive opponent standing in the way preventing you from advancing the ball.

Like foot golf, we started with what we had available at the time, but specialized equipment like bevel edged discs with different flight patterns and the polehole basket came in later to help distinguish the game. Really today, all we share with ball golf is an objective of getting an object to a target in as few attempts as possible.

Who knows though, in time perhaps foot golf will have a similar evolution. The fact that its derived from two established sports instead of one is going to make that road even tougher.

People take their 8 year old kids and have a blast, don't blink twice at dropping $10 per person for a couple hours. They might not go 20 times a year or take it as a competitive past time or sport, but they go.

I had discussed this in the past, and even having a few different balls for different shots. Such as making shots for approaches that you do not want to sail, using a futsol ball... There are some things that could be done to make this interesting, but with as much as a ball will roll on drives, it really doesn't seem like it would be nearly as much fun as disc golf. I suppose on hills, especially a steep downhill before a basket, it could be a hot mess of a game.

There were kids on our local disc course playing combo disc/foot golf. Alternate shot. Including trying to kick into baskets...

People take their 8 year old kids and have a blast, don't blink twice at dropping $10 per person for a couple hours. They might not go 20 times a year or take it as a competitive past time or sport, but they go.
Not all that untypical with something that is novelty. The thing is, novelties are a fleeting passion. Will these folks still be doing that 5-10 years down the road once the novelty has worn off and there's some new thing to drop $10 per person on?