• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FORE! A thread for stories of Accidental Hits and Near Misses

I was in Vegas last weekend and Sunset Park has to be the busiest park I have ever played on. I get up to hole #10 and there are people on both sides of the fairway playing soccer, having picnics and doing all kinds of other park activities. I though we should skip the hole but the dude I was with just lets one rip and lands safe in the fairway. I think ok I got this. The wind was blowing good so I pulled out my Firebird and let it fly. Right as the disc leaves my hand I see a Soccer ball bounce into the fairway and I see this kid (couldn't be more than 5 or 6) run out after it. My Firebird is flying right at the ball. I YELL FORE really loud, kid dosn't even look and keeps running at the ball. I yell again still nothing... my disc is getting really close now I yell one last time as the kid bends down to pick up the ball. My disc goes right over the top of his head missing him by maybe a foot.

I almost killed that kid, I threw a lot of rollers the rest of the day because I didn't want to kill anyone with an air shot.

Was playing Bellamy park a while back and thought I was alone on the course. I got to hole 7, which is a short, heavily wooded hole with the basket concealed in the close position. I decided to thumber my boss (essentially a hail mary shot) and was surprised and delighted to see it flying favorably towards the pin. Out of nowhere, a guy holding a disc stepped out from behind a tree near the pin. I didn't even have time to shout, but luckily ths is only a near miss story. The boss hit the ground hard and about an inch from the tip of his big toe. The kicker is that the guy didn't miss a beat. He didn't jump, didn't shout, and didn't even stop. Instead he simply walked over to 8's teepad and threw his disc (well, I might add). He quickly left me behind and I never saw him again.

... There happens to be around 30-40 people watching around the basket. Some chick was standing there and I nailed her right in the side. It was pretty amusing and I happened to laugh. Her boyfriend did not appreciate my laughter and his GF's bitching and crying. He can up to me and wanted to fight,...

Normally I'd say someone is a dick who laughs at someone they hit. But if you're at a DG CTP event, standing near the basket and watching, and you get hit with a disc, you're an utter moron. :doh:

Normally I'd say someone is a dick who laughs at someone they hit. But if you're at a DG CTP event, standing near the basket and watching, and you get hit with a disc, you're an utter moron. :doh:

I walked up on a few groups waiting at a tee during a tournament. One guy had a fresh cut on the ridge of his nose. When they yelled fore he turned and looked. That was kind of funny.

Once at a wooded course close to Indy as I was warming up for a tournament I lost a favorite disc of mine.
At the players meeting some guy walked up to me with that disc in his hand and gave it to me. He had found it.

During the tournament I hit a tree about 60' off the tee, my disc shot to the left and hit the guy who returned my disc in the back of the head as I yelled fore.
:doh:
It was a tight course.

Yeah, "Fore!" usually means "DUCK!". My most recent hit was putting at the practice basket at Crane Creek Park in Rohnert Park, CA tourney last month. Lots of guys putting and I thought all were done, and bending over to pick up a miss I got hit outta nowhere right on my cheekbone with a stiff putter. I stumbled a couple steps! Bending over! He was way off target on that one.

That is the only reason I did not feel bad about hitting her. Everyone knew they were standing in the danger zone. She threw a fit after it happened, threw her bag started yelling. I apologized but that seemed to make it worse. Good times.

^^^I love it when you apologize and it only makes them madder, 'cause they know they're wrong. :thmbup:

One of my favorite stories was at a course (can't remember which one, I believe in the carolinas somewhere). Hole had construction along the path, I skipped that hole, hole 11 then played back along 9 fairway, I quickly analyzed the situation and figured that I could toss my buzzz on a hyzer and not be a threat to the construction workers (in a blind zone). Flipped the buzzz up on a turnover line heading straight for the guy on the skid loader. No amount of "Fore" could have alerted him over the noise. I approached a bit sheepishly, hoping I didn't actually hit someone, a guy waved my disc in the air, I nodded a "yup, that's mine." I walked to the guy who handed it back, the guy on the skid loader said something like "Damn, you woke me up"
"I didn't hit you did I?"
"Knocked my hard hat right off"
"F! I'm so sorry!" [Oh****, I feel so bad, I'd never mean to hit anybody, I apologize as sincerely as I can with a 'sorry'].
"It's Ok, I needed something to wake me up anyway, I was starting to doze off."

My dad (Laser) recently got hit in the nose.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1030015.jpg
    P1030015.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 211
Got my forehead sliced a week ago at Ann Morrison...Second person in the group then attempts to throw right after. Needless to say I wasn't happy.

DON'T THROW IF SOMEONE IS NEXT TO THE BASKET! :doh:

around 2004 i was teein off on hole one at knoch knolls with a few buddies. i was standing behind the tee pad about 10 ft behind, and 10 feet to the right. my "new to the game buddy" drives a 150 valk literally backwards and hit me right between the eyes on the bridge of my nose.

Happened so fast i had no time to try and even get my hands up or move. Boom! and i was on the ground, he broke my glasses clean in half and split my nose open to the bone.

got a nice scar now.

I hit a guy disc golfing once. I would have yelled "fore," but I was too busy mumbling to myself "there ain't no way that's gonna hit him."

I was playing at an Ace Race last year and had just finished throwing on one of the holes when some people one the last hole all of a sudden start yelling at me... Less than a second later, I get hit on the hip by one of their errant throws. Good thing the Zeppelin flies super slow.

Two things to note: Don't yell fore at little kids in a park, they have no idea what it means. Actually, probably most non disc golfers wouldn't react in an appropriately either, seeing that even (some) disc golfers look up instead of taking cover. And that is the second thing. Don't look up to see where the disc that is going to hit you is coming from, take cover instead so you don't get hit.

Yeah I agree Joakim. "Fore" on the course and "headsup/lookout" off the course. Those non golfers have no idea. I'm also guilty of the "no way thats gonna hit him." luckily it was a guy I knew from playing so much so we had a laugh when I missed his feet by inches.

I was tying my shoe at the tee of hole 4 at Big Run (R.I.P.). As I started to stand I heard someone on hole 3 yell "Head's up!" Before I could process the warning a disc hit me on top of the head and bounced off. I yelled back "Next time, say head's down!"

I was playing at Burke Lake, and Hole 9's tee box is located near the hole for 11. I had overthrown the basket on 11, and had gone to find my disc in the trees there, when I saw a couple of guys teeing off on 9. I respectfully waited for them to tee off, then bent down to pull a disc out for my second shot on 11. As I am pulling the disc off, I hear a WOOOOOSH and see a bright red object fly right over my head. I see that another kid had teed off at 9, while the other two guys were still in the fairway.

I start tearing into this asshat, telling him that he not only almost hit me, but he should never throw on a hole when someone else is on it. Turns out the kid had stopped for a piss break, and was playing with the other two guys, and was "catching up".

One of our better local players had hit an Ace on hole 3. While he was getting his disc out of the basket and some high fives from his friends, an impatient ******* threw on the hole, and nailed him in the mouth.

Ok, serious post time after my joke above:

I've not ever hit anyone, but I've come close with some shanked shots. But the craziest thing I've ever seen was when me and my playing buddy ran into some people we've played with a few times around the city when we've run into them. It's a guy and his wife. The guy has a decent arm, and we were teeing off on a hole that ran alongside another later hole. He griplocked the crap out of a Nuke, and sent it nearly 90 degrees right. There was a guy walking along the hole next to us, and it was headed right for him!

All of us were yelling "FORE! FOOOORE!," but he didn't take notice of us. That thing screamed across his chest, missing by maybe two or three inches. It was SUPER. FREAKIN'. CLOSE., and it had some heat on it. Luckily, it did miss, and all was okay. He didn't even get mad, and our acquaintance immediately went to him, apologizing profusely. It eludes me still as to why he wasn't mad, or even annoyed.

We joke that if he had thrown a Katana instead, it would have sliced the dude in half.