• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Forehand Approach Putter

Pierparknut

Gold level trusted reviewer
Recently I got a XT Stud thinking it would be nice and stable, good for forehand approaches. It certainly did not fly like I thought. Thrown flat, it goes dead straight, on a hyzer it flips up and goes straight. And I'm not crushing it either. It is also dead straight on backhand throws. I really like how it feels, but it certainly doesn't do what I wanted. What would you suggest for a good forehand approach disc? The Aviar3 is enticing, but I'm wondering if it would fly straight just like the Stud (it has almost identical flight numbers). Or should I play it safe and go with something super OS like a Pig or a Rhyno?

If you have a 500+ ft arm Rick forehands them Harps pretty good! :)

Truthfully, they are a great OS approach disc. I partner a VIP with some envies. The feel is a bit deeper with a flat/perpendicular inside rim face, but, it does the job! The aviar3 does seem good, but not as OS.

Last edited:
From Innova currently you're looking at getting either a Rhyno or Pig. Haven't tried the new Hawg but that may work as well. If you're willing to go up to a midrange, the new ring of gators champion gators are flat topped and fly OS. Sexton and Big Jerm throw mortars from hyzerbomb if you can get your hands on one of those.

Easier options to get a hold of are the harp and zone if you're looking for a more OS flight.

The Harp is really good, I use them for FH and backhand approaches that need to end hyzer. The are OS but not to the point that you can throw it really poorly and get away with it like you could a Justice or similar.

This. :thmbup: The Harp is great for forehands, regardless of your power level.

The Harp is really good, I use them for FH and backhand approaches that need to end hyzer. The are OS but not to the point that you can throw it really poorly and get away with it like you could a Justice or similar.

Another vote for the Harp. I use them FH and BH, paired with the Colt for straight. Settled on the Harp after trying a bunch of stable and overstable approach putters (Zone, Rhyno, Envy, Wizard, etc.).

Last edited:
Take the Harp advice. VIP plastic is flexible, grippy, and tasty.. but I'm just speculating about the tasty part

First, I'll say that every putter can be a good forehand approach disc. I often forehand approach with a swan2 if I need a straight or anhyzer/turnover shot.

You're probably looking for something like a harp, zone, ringer, rhyno, justice, etc.

Harp all the way. I actually took mine out of the bag when I got a suspect but lately the suspect has been going too straight for too long for me on approaches so the Harp is back (should of never taken it out).

It is deeper than I am usually comfortable with on a forehand but for some reason it just comes out clean and predictable.

r-pro pig or soft tank - dont let the plastic fool you. I am testing both of these for my forehand putter spot, I don't like beads and found these feel best in hand.

I don't throw great flat to hyzer forehands, I'm more of an anny forehand guy, but the JK Aviar has been my go to for touch shots. anny to pan is my natural forehand shot. I wish I had a flat to hyzer shot but it is what it is.

Latest posts