• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand/flick rollers

There's a guy around here who is a magician with FH rollers and his disc of choice is a Nuke OS.

Yep this is what I use as well. It's a magical disc for that shot, that's part of the magicianship. I think I made that word up haha I digress.. Nuke OS is perfect for cut rollers that never flip to the left and die (RHFH). Must be the dome, not the stability! ;) Thrown straight up it will roll over everything for what feels like forever. I taught my dad to throw them and he picked up a NOS, too.

Would a Champ Firebird be good for a FH cut roller?

It's the biggest beefcake I have, although I do have a medium beat Gstar Destroyer as well

for BH rollers a flat DX Leopard and a slightly beat Avenger SS would work for the US side?

The stability of the disc has the same effect backhand or sidearm, air shot or roller.

An understable disc will flip up/over more (airshot) and turn over faster (roller) than an overstable disc. Same for overhead shots, an understable disc will roll over faster than an overstable disc.

It's the biggest beefcake I have, although I do have a medium beat Gstar Destroyer as well

for BH rollers a flat DX Leopard and a slightly beat Avenger SS would work for the US side?

Throw all your discs and find out the right speed/angle/stability that works for you the best. You will probably find a lot of your discs work just fine. Rollers are a tough shot to master and even what can seeme like a good one takes a weird turn off a root etc just like air shots off a branch or whateverzzz.

So overstable discs turn onto their tops more slowly. Gotchya.

No.

Didn't SW22 post something about rolling discs with illustrations some time ago?

Once rolling it's less a flying disc and more a wheel. Regardless of the disc's stability, how much of the disc's center of mass (COM) is off the plane of the rolling edge will determine which direction the rolling disc turns. Since every disc I can think of has its COM above the plane of its outer edge, they all will all eventually turn towards the top of the disc when rolling and, ultimately, fall over onto their tops because the weight is pulling to that side. The only exception is an extremely angled cut roller. How long a disc can roll without turning is a factor of that COM and how fast it is spinning (gyroscopic stability).

In other words, the stability of a disc used as a roller is only relevant to how it gets to the ground to begin rolling. Once there, the COM in relation to the rolling plane, the angle of the disc in relation to the ground, and the spin rate will determine roll behavior, not stability. I think where confusion creeps in is that there is a correlation between COM being above the plane of the discs edge, which contributes to overstability. But it's not the overstability itself that is affecting the roll.

err... umm... have you ever thrown a roller?

since you don't seem to believe what others are posting, would you believe what eagle mcmahon has to say?

He's saying that stability matters, but just trying to call it something else once it is on the ground since it's no longer technically "stability" as we know it, if it's not flying. It's just semantics so he sounds smart.

Yeah all those can be good. I just think Gstar may make poor roller discs because of the lower stiffness. I tend to trust stiffer discs on rollers more because they plow through things, don't deform, and I imagine keep their momentum more because of it even on smooth terrain. I am someone who enjoys gripping/throwing soft plastic, but I do think soft plastic acts differently on the ground, be it for skips or rolls.

Try all your discs for both BH and FH rollers. Flippy discs can make great get out of trouble FH roller shots that quickly cut around a corner and do that every time. Something beefy like a Firebird can do everything from FH cut rolls, to distance FH straight rolls, depending on the angle you set it down at and the power you use.

All I know is that my rollers almost always go to far or too short, and turn either too much or not enough. So I've got something to work on. Which is nice.

I tried a high line attempted flex forehand today, which accidentally turned into a FH roller(Discmania Craze) the results were amazingly good!

I'd rather be lucky any day, than good ;)

No.

Didn't SW22 post something about rolling discs with illustrations some time ago?

Once rolling it's less a flying disc and more a wheel. Regardless of the disc's stability, how much of the disc's center of mass (COM) is off the plane of the rolling edge will determine which direction the rolling disc turns. Since every disc I can think of has its COM above the plane of its outer edge, they all will all eventually turn towards the top of the disc when rolling and, ultimately, fall over onto their tops because the weight is pulling to that side. The only exception is an extremely angled cut roller. How long a disc can roll without turning is a factor of that COM and how fast it is spinning (gyroscopic stability).

In other words, the stability of a disc used as a roller is only relevant to how it gets to the ground to begin rolling. Once there, the COM in relation to the rolling plane, the angle of the disc in relation to the ground, and the spin rate will determine roll behavior, not stability. I think where confusion creeps in is that there is a correlation between COM being above the plane of the discs edge, which contributes to overstability. But it's not the overstability itself that is affecting the roll.

I promise there is air near the ground. I've slept on it and not suffocated.

The PLH is one of the main determining factors of stability and COM; they aren't just "correlated", they're nearly identical. Close enough to identical that there's no need to differentiate.

I promise there is air near the ground. I've slept on it and not suffocated.

The PLH is one of the main determining factors of stability and COM; they aren't just "correlated", they're nearly identical. Close enough to identical that there's no need to differentiate.

I respectfully disagree. If Innova made all their understable discs blue and all their overstable discs red you'd have a tight correlation between color and stability, but you'd be wrong to state that red causes overstable behavior. Plus, COM in relation to the plane of the edge isn't the only factor determining stability, so it's not a 100% correlation. More speed, for example, makes even overstable discs more understable without affecting COM, but no matter how much you increase rolling speed, you're never going to make the disc turn in the direction of its bottom.

I respectfully disagree. If Innova made all their understable discs blue and all their overstable discs red you'd have a tight correlation between color and stability, but you'd be wrong to state that red causes overstable behavior. Plus, COM in relation to the plane of the edge isn't the only factor determining stability, so it's not a 100% correlation. More speed, for example, makes even overstable discs more understable without affecting COM, but no matter how much you increase rolling speed, you're never going to make the disc turn in the direction of its bottom.

I roll a flat star firebird and a beat in s-line pd for flick rollers. The dome does not determine how it rolls, true story. I've always used stability as a determining factor when rolling discs. No matter what you think about the disc being on the ground and not being in the air, stability is THE factor. Quit theorycrafting and go roll some discs man. And there is a reason why everyone else here disagrees with most things you post.

Would you rather be right or happy?

I've always liked overstable for forehand rollers, star max for max d and firebird for shorter shots. Like mentioned earlier ideally it hits tilted right starts that way, flips to vertical and keeps straight and eventually finishes left.

I like both discs mentioned above because of the stabilities, but also because of the nose shape. Both are more on the blunt side, which to me at least should help them roll.

You can "disagree" all you like. But the fact remains that PLH is correlated to stability at a rate that nearly indicates causation, and PLH is always going to be related to COM in a direct manner in a specific mold.

I tried a high line attempted flex forehand today, which accidentally turned into a FH roller(Discmania Craze) the results were amazingly good!

I'd rather be lucky any day, than good ;)

This describes my longest throw to date, except it was a Star Boss. Wound up pin high on a 390' hole.

All my best rollers are accidental.

Latest posts