• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand help, pushing the disc with fingers?

Malawi

Par Member
Im really having a hard time driving with forehand, im sure i dont get the wrist flick right. It feels like im pushing the disc forward with my middlefinger when using the pistol grip with index/middlefinger stacked. Is this right feeling/way? Really focusing not strong arm it..

Also i get arm pain when i try elbow first then arm. It doesnt feel like the disc pivots out of My hand at all. Any tip i can try? Can throw like 200 feet max most of the time 150 and backhand like 400.

What really helped me throw long forehands effortlessly was watching Scott stoekely on Youtube and his reachback tutorial. The pendulum technic really got me in a good position to not snap with the elbow but rather the entire arm. Went from maybe 150 to +300 in one "aha" moment from this. I have been playing since april and had super inconsistent distance on the forehand.

Also one other note lead with the left side of your body/left hip. The feeling you are looking for is that the disc feels heavy in the hand. The heavier it feels the more you are leading with the body/hips. Think about how you slingshot a fishing rod.

I found Paul's video very helpful - practicing short spin-flicks. From there, I started flicking all short approaches, and after a while longer shots came. I can reliably throw around 300' with distance drivers, but when I started it was ugly. Real ugly. The other tip (I don't remember from where) is to 'elbow someone out of your way' with the off arm.

I just did a frame by frame on the Ulibari, and his two throws have very different paths.

In the first (bad) throw, he starts his throw with the disc near vertical and flips it horizontal mid release. That would flutter no matter how you spun it.

In the second throw, he starts the same, but flips the disc horizontal as part of the layback, and his throwing motion is all on plane.

I'm not sure spin itself is a factor but the mental image of spinning is working for some people.

I just watched the last 9 of the World's, and they don't look like they're putting huge force into the throws, but they come out very clean and on plane. I also was at a baseball game recently, and the catcher throwing to 2cnd base looks pretty effortless (though lofted a bit, his laser throw looks much more forceful).

Contrast that with Eagle - I don't know why his disc doesn't rip in half from the force of throwing it.

Going to try the 20 foot throw today.

Make sure finger pad/print is more on inside/vertical wall of rim rather than flight plate. Clench your fingers back into your palm to bring the disc forward around your finger.

Lot of good stuff in here, but I disagree with the arm in/out part.

Make sure finger pad/print is more on inside/vertical wall of rim rather than flight plate. Clench your fingers back into your palm to bring the disc forward around your finger.

Lot of good stuff in here, but I disagree with the arm in/out part.

Nice vid thanks! Need to try it out tomorrow 👍

What really helped me throw long forehands effortlessly was watching Scott stoekely on Youtube and his reachback tutorial. The pendulum technic really got me in a good position to not snap with the elbow but rather the entire arm. Went from maybe 150 to +300 in one "aha" moment from this. I have been playing since april and had super inconsistent distance on the forehand.

Also one other note lead with the left side of your body/left hip. The feeling you are looking for is that the disc feels heavy in the hand. The heavier it feels the more you are leading with the body/hips. Think about how you slingshot a fishing rod.

Thanks for all tips!!i watched a Stoeckley vid where he explained how to use the body and another one being completly loosed in the grip. I could throw 250-300 today 😀 mostly cus using the powergrip i think but i had some noseup problems being to loose and i wonder how hard are u gripping the disc? Also with powergrip should my thumb being above my index and middlefinger pads or should i extend my fingers more so they are further away from my thumb pad?

@Malawi Can you share that vid? Or at least tell me what the title is? I'm not finding it.

Thanks for all tips!!i watched a Stoeckley vid where he explained how to use the body and another one being completly loosed in the grip. I could throw 250-300 today 😀 mostly cus using the powergrip i think but i had some noseup problems being to loose and i wonder how hard are u gripping the disc? Also with powergrip should my thumb being above my index and middlefinger pads or should i extend my fingers more so they are further away from my thumb pad?

In the actually release I am not 100% sure what goes on but in the prethrow routine I clamp down hard but not as hard as possible. Generally I clamp the thumb a little behind my middle finger. I have experimented with closer to the tips but that dosent come out as good. Overall I think the grip is a bit open for interpretation as long as you have the basic grip down.

Latest posts