• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

forget the drive- Putt!

We've been dealing with Mr. treethacker for some time now. I swear to God, if I'm ever in Tennessee I will try to sort out your drive personally.

As far as putts go, you might want to try some jump putts or get a floaty lid like a Polecat or Rattler for long putts.

Forget the drive and putt, learn an upshot!!

If you can put it under the basket to 10' on your second shot you par everything. :)

If you can put it under the basket to 10' on your second shot you par everything. :)

:thmbup: Driving and putting seem to get all the attention around here. I don't think the mid game gets the respect it deserves. I have a noodle arm and I'm only an average putter, but I make up for it with my approaches. I played the new coursehttp://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4028 in Tomahawk WI on friday and after 18 holes, I bet I didn't actually putt more than 7 or 8 holes. The rest were dropins or touching the chains.

You can actually do that in your living room. Just don't let go of the disc, or you might take out a lamp. ( wife is still pissed)

We've been dealing with Mr. treethacker for some time now. I swear to God, if I'm ever in Tennessee I will try to sort out your drive personally.

I had to laugh when I saw this.."we"? Who is "we"?
Sorry Brother Dave if I seem to irritate you when I have the nerve to ask the same questions but when I practice it is usually by myself and there is no one to ask then.
If I have the chance to ask questions and get some answers from some of the best disc golfers in the country(world?)and for free then I will besides if you see my name by a post you can always skip it!;)
Anyway,for everyone thanks for your input and I have taken to putting a lot more work into my drives and into my putting.Its gonna take some time but I will get there!

I had to laugh when I saw this.."we"? Who is "we"?
Sorry Brother Dave if I seem to irritate you when I have the nerve to ask the same questions but when I practice it is usually by myself and there is no one to ask then.
If I have the chance to ask questions and get some answers from some of the best disc golfers in the country(world?)and for free then I will besides if you see my name by a post you can always skip it!;)
Anyway,for everyone thanks for your input and I have taken to putting a lot more work into my drives and into my putting.Its gonna take some time but I will get there!

We as in your brothers and sisters here at DGCR that strive to bring out the best in all of us. I'm not frustrated at all, I'm glad you keep coming back. I just wish we could figure out your major malfunction.

Just keep slinging discs and have fun, amigo. :hfive:

Treehacker, a word of warning: practicing bad habits only instills bad habits. I know it's crappy but it's true. Dedicate all of your field time to putting and comet love.
With the comet, don't worry about looking silly with bad throws- you already look silly playing frisbee by yourself. For field sessions, focus on one focus at a time- not distance. Throwing hyzers is a good place to start.
For putting, don't try to make puts so much as work on a consitant style with focus on balance, weight shift& popin out, nose angle, and height.

But thats the stroke I want to cut! I dont want a par, I want a birdie! Drive far and make a putt.

Disclaimer: Best score has always been not letting my drives get away from me and playing a nice upshot without running the pin all the time. Birdies just happen that way.

Disclaimer to disclaimer: Has had to learn better upshots since my putting is so horrible. Want to be as close to the basket as possible.

Every pro I've talked to about putting says to pick a distance and become an expert at that; maybe around 20-25'. Thats probably what you should concentrate on. Longer 60' putts are more luck than skill for most of us anyways.

I guess you could practice jump or walking putts but those aren't the easiest things to master.

I've mastered the 300' putt...just took a little practice. I still generally 3 putt from there, but it's masterful.

I guess I'd be pretty frustrated if I'd played for a long time and couldn't regularly break the 200' barrier. Definitely something going on there.

Good luck!

what has been wrong is "wrong muscle memory". The muscle memory I got myself into for drives is obviously wrong,so I am having to unlearn that way and go more towards the Dan Beato way. Unlearning has been hard to do..body stills wants to throw the wrong way which is what is causing such short distance. As I said its gonna take a while but I will get there.
When I do,believe me everyone on here will know!! In big bold letters!:thmbup:

Practice , and more practice. You need to hit a field and make at least 100-200 drives. Also, use the same disc. Don't throw a bunch of different drivers. Use your putter first. Most people can hit at least 125ft with their putter. After a while, you should be able to throw you putter at least 200ft.

After three years of trying to learn the backhand I have come to the realization that I will probably never be able to get my disc more than 200 ft or so at the most

Hmmm, do you always throw rainbows? That is, huge hyzers, the disc goes way up high but hits the ground just a bit in front of you?

I think videos are in order. That is the only way we are going to be able to truly see what is going on with your form (and hopefully help fix it).

Latest posts