• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Check!

Ozkwa

Hey guys, I've been playing for about a year. I throw Wraiths for distance and can get out about 370 max. I have hit 400' before but can't consistantly hit the 400 mark. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how my back, neck, and head should feel. It looks like I'm whipping my head a lot even though I've been making a concious effort to keep it down more. One of my buddies who has much cleaner form than I do told me that it looks like I'm trying to throw an anny when I'm trying to throw flat.

Any help you guys can give me would be really appreciated!

Trying to get the video to work, sorry. Here's the link:
https://youtu.be/d-FJu__JPuQ

Last edited:
I agree with your buddy. You are going to have to fundamentally change the way you think about throwing and everything is probably going to feel very awkward and probably lose distance at first. You are throwing your body around the disc instead throwing/launching the arm/disc away from your body. Your arm stops in the follow through while your body goes forward, should be the other way around with your forward momentum being transferring to the arm rotating wide around your body in the finish. Looks like you are trying to keep your down - don't keep your head down.

You should feel very balanced upright through the finish on your plant leg. Watch how far forward your follow through takes you off your plant leg. That is all wasted momentum that continued forward instead of transferring through your body to the disc in a catapult effect away from your body like a repulsion. Finishing upright and balanced in posture on the plant leg keeps your spine axis rotation very tight and centered and FAST, to whip your arm/disc faster. Think of a ball on the end of the string, the tighter you keep the center rotation/your hand/wrist twirling, the faster and more centripetal force and tension to transfer momentum to the ball. If you let the center of rotation/ hand/wrist move around a lot, there is less speed and tension and force to transfer momentum.

Watch the balanced finish on their plant leg:

I agree with your buddy. You are going to have to fundamentally change the way you think about throwing and everything is probably going to feel very awkward and probably lose distance at first. You are throwing your body around the disc instead throwing/launching the arm/disc away from your body. Your arm stops in the follow through while your body goes forward, should be the other way around with your forward momentum being transferring to the arm rotating wide around your body in the finish...
Thank you! I watched those videos and I'm going to try to put it into effect today with some field work.

One question, how much pressure should I feel on my knee after the hit and I start following through?

When you brace properly you should just stand up/flow around the plant. If you feel pressure or torque on specific joints, something is incorrect...likely from the positions a step or two before it. When things are going correctly, you will end up balanced and shouldn't feel pressure/pain/strain anywhere, or like you are tipping or jamming up.